• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I'm a little sad that Microsoft will give up on making AA games. Almost all the games I'm anticipating this year are in that range (Vampyr, Biomutant), but people expect only big budgets AAA from Sony and Microsoft, or games that are clearly indie like Cuphead. I like AAA but if you have 100 millions and can make 3 AA or 1 AAA with that money, I prefer AA any time.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
More of the same is absolutely fine for me with this game, that's all I ever wanted.

Shame that the co-op doesn't sound too good for those that really wanted it.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
User banned (1 day): Console wars derailing
Anyone else find it crazy that this negative thread is super active and on the front page while the thread about all State of Decay 2 previews hasn't had a new post in almost 2 hours?

State of Decay 2 looks like an actual game, instead of a movie with interspersed QTE sections.
That could be the reason.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly thats just what it is. it is a nice little game done with an indie dev. since MS didnt fill the AAA gap for their fan base , the fan base mistake this title for the AAA they have been wanting,so they are criticizing it harshly.

This game looks neat to me considering the dev size .
What? i did not see many Xbox fans hyping up this like crazy.
It's more like some people never played the first game, but suddenly show up this thread, act like they hyped this game for a long time, then reply something like "oh i'm not buy SOD2 anymore, MS messed up again" which is pretty funny for me.

I mean, there's new reply label it as "poor release" now lol.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I enjoyed the first game even though it was rough too. Still looking forward to this.

I hope we don't have to wait too long before hearing more about the Steam version.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
People saying "it was never an AAA" etc...

http://prankster101.com/articles/in...-undead-labs-were-all-about-state-of-decay-2/

The first State of Decay game was in Steam Early Access for a very long time. How come the gestation period between the second game and the first game has been so short?

Usually, what you try to do with a sequel is to stand on your own shoulders. If you have created a game that people like to play, and you want to make a sequel, you kind of start using the existing game as a foundation, both technically and from a design standpoint, and then just build on top of that. We didn't have that opportunity with State of Decay because we needed to switch engines. The first game used CryEngine, which was fine for an XBox Live Arcade title, but was not going to scale up to the full AAA title that State of Decay 2 is going to be. We needed a more robust and a more mature engine, so we pivoted to Unreal Engine 4, and that involved us having to start very close to ground zero in terms of the technical infrastructure for the game.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
MS continue to disappoint this year :/

These posts are getting a bit out of hand. They aren't disappointing for anyone who has followed these games. SoT has established a large audience and inspite of gamepass has shocked people with sales. Its a fun game that will grow and expand and has a clear roadmap.

SoD2 is a game by a small developer that was always intended to build upon and smarten up the first game, which was a very fun game, but a technical mess. The sequel was never going to be flawless or different in direction.

Some people on here and a few people in the media are trying to discuss these games against an entirely unfair backdrop, and are deliberately doing so. Neither SoT or SoD2 was ever pitched or leveraged as an answer to massive AAA productions like GoW. Anyone who claims they were is being highly disingenuous. The fact that both games are coming at a time when MS 1P has some definite holes is not the games nor the dev teams fault. Its fine to be critical of games, but to try and rewrite the context those games are delivered in to suit the current narrative is not ok and massively disrespectful to the teams involved.

The initial SoD found a large but niche audience on an Xbox platform that was healthier than the current one is. In the same way as some very ropey exclusive games on the PS4 have done ok that side too, because they have the numbers to achieve that. Expecting the sequel (which has massively increased in scope but not necessarily production) to be the answer to huge studios is really unfair and not in my view a healthy way to appraise the industry.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why can't more games do it like Dying Light did years ago. Dying Light is almost perfect compared to other co-op games of this nature. In that game you just rushed one mission in the beginning in like 15-30 minutes and after that, bueno. All players get quest progression etc.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
It is an AAA, and there's a lot of AAA with higher budgets than SoD2 that are great games, and still are super rough, for example almost any modern fallout. On AAA like on games of any size, gameplay and fun is what is more important. Anyway SoD2 fits on the mid budget AAA range, absolutely not an indie.

The game director has said specifically that his team prefer using their time and budget con add things and complexity to the gameplay, than making the game bugs free.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I wonder why can't more games do it like Dying Light did years ago. Dying Light is almost perfect compared to other co-op games of this nature. In that game you just rushed one mission in the beginning in like 15-30 minutes and after that, bueno. All players get quest progression etc.
SoD was never meant to be a coop first experience.
People demanded coop for years. Now we got the most sensible approach possible with all the simulation going on in the world.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I'm a little sad that Microsoft will give up on making AA games. Almost all the games I'm anticipating this year are in that range (Vampyr, Biomutant), but people expect only big budgets AAA from Sony and Microsoft, or games that are clearly indie like Cuphead. I like AAA but if you have 100 millions and can make 3 AA or 1 AAA with that money, I prefer AA any time.

So, the trio of Super Lucky's Tale, ReCore and... I don't know, Rare Replay for example, are preferable to something like Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War?

Surely you'd prefer to play a game that you will likely remember fondly in ten years time than three games that you may forget about ten months down the line?

Daisya

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dunno why but I always feel like Microsoft not really putting as much money into these games as they should be. There is no reason a game with Microsoft's name attached to it should have these problems.

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, the trio of Super Lucky's Tale, ReCore and... I don't know, Rare Replay for example, are preferable to something like Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War?

Surely you'd prefer to play a game that you will likely remember fondly in ten years time than three games that you may forget about ten months down the line?
Are you arguing opinions there bud?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria

I also like to compare thing that are totally not comparable!
Also my opinion is always right so everyone thinks the same as me!
Yay high-five myself!

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

Yep, I would prefer the trio of Cuphead, Ori and a game as good as the first State of Decay better than The Order. A small game, or a medium size game can be as unforgetable as an AAA. You are cherry picking so hard that are trying to pass a remasters compilation for an AA game.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Theorry would know this due to his hawk nature on Xbox threads.

This game does have cross play correct? Hoping to lug my laptop around instead of the X and my monitor lol

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

I should be good then.....I love crossplay co-op games.

Also if I cared about jank , I never would have bought elex. People know nothing about jank until they play Elex or a gothic game. I can guarantee this won't even be close to as bad

Elex is the best euro jank game I have ever played too lol

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Of course State of Decay 2 is an AAA title. Just because there are graphical glitches in the preview version equals it with not being an AAA title? What strange kind of conclusion is that?

AAA doesn't mean that your game is a narrative story-driven singleplayer-only third-person action game with great graphics. That's what the majority here think it is. And there is zero relevance for that in regards to the definition of an AAA title.

In fact, AAA is only categorizing a project based on its budget. That's it. It means nothing more than the money spend on that whole thing. State of Decay 2 is a big project with a team of a little less than 100 full-time employees working on it for over 3 years. That's a shit ton of money you spend on your project especially compared to its low-budget predecessor.

Different publisher have a different definition of an AAA title. Ubisoft thinks they are pretty much the only ones doing regular AAA titles, Microsoft, Sumo Digital and more set that mark at a budget starting at $10 Mio. And no one is wrong.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Yep, I would prefer the trio of Cuphead, Ori and a game as good as the first State of Decay better than God of War. A small game, or a medium size game can be as unforgetable as an AAA. You are cherry picking so hard that are trying to pass a remasters compilation for an AA game.

I was going to add State of Decay 2 instead of Rare Replay, but it's apparently a triple AAA game according to the developer. I was using the handful of AA games on the Xbox One, so it's hardly cherry picking... unless you wish to help me out?

It was merely an observation/question, and you answered it. That's all I hoped for.

Are you arguing opinions there bud?

Gosh, I thought I was on a message board where we discuss opinions for a minute there!

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I should be good then.....I love crossplay co-op games.

Also if I cared about jank , I never would have bought elex. People know nothing about jank until they play Elex or a gothic game. I can guarantee this won't even be close to as bad
In fact, for what I've seen in the gameplay videos, since the game is buggy, is nowhere near the first.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What? i did not see many Xbox fans hyping up this like crazy.
It's more like some people never played the first game, but suddenly show up this thread, act like they hyped this game for a long time, then reply something like "oh i'm not buy SOD2 anymore, MS messed up again" which is pretty funny for me.

I mean, there's new reply label it as "poor release" now lol.

People have been hyping it up. With so few releases this generation people were expecting a lot from this game since it was supposed to be backed by MS. The same thing is true of Crackdown 3. People are expecting HUGE things from that game.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I was going to add State of Decay 2 instead of Rare Replay, but it's apparently a triple AAA game according to the developer. I was using the handful of AA games on the Xbox One, so it's hardly cherry picking... unless you wish to help me out?

It was merely an observation/question, and you answered it. That's all I hoped for.

Gosh, I thought I was on a message board where we discuss opinions for a minute there!
Then again, I would prefer Ori, Cuphead and Rare replay way better than The Order, Wouldn't you?

I think I prefer Recore alone better than the order too.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
People demanded coop for years. Now we got the most sensible approach possible with all the simulation going on in the world.

Quite frankly, I don't think the game being "co-op first" or not is much of a justification. They showed it being co-op prominently in its first E3 reveal, and a limitation like being tethered to your host isn't something many people are going to assume (I sure as hell didn't). Perhaps if they weren't so quiet about the specifics of the gameplay systems up until literally weeks away form released, there wouldn't have been so much misunderstanding and inaccurate expectations.

And the most sensible approach isn't to tether everyone to the host. The most sensible approach would be to spin up an Azure instance for your party in that way games like Forza Horizon do to avoid limiting the players to a small segment of a vast open world.

Then again, I would prefer Ori, Cuphead and Rare replay way better than The Order, Wouldn't you?

The examples being used in this argument are loaded in both directions... both of you are comparing games that are considered to be great against games that are considered mediocre regardless of their development budget.

Games aren't inherently better by being AAA, and neither are they inherently better by being AA. It's understandable to have a general preference for one or the other due to other factors (AA likely having more scope for experimentation, AAA being more of a spectacle), but if you're both just going to portray the other with the worst examples you can think of, then you're both wasting your time.

Last edited:

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Quite frankly, I don't think the game being "co-op first" or not is much of a justification. They showed it being co-op prominently in its first E3 reveal, and a limitation like being tethered to your host isn't something many people are going to assume (I sure as hell didn't). Perhaps if they weren't so quiet about the specifics of the gameplay systems up until literally weeks away form released, there wouldn't have been so much misunderstanding and inaccurate expectations.

And the most sensible approach isn't to tether everyone to the host. The most sensible approach would be to spin up an Azure instance for your party in that way games like Forza Horizon do to avoid limiting the players to a small segment of a vast open world.

The examples being used in this argument are loaded in both directions... both of you are comparing games that are considered to be great against games that are considered mediocre regardless of their development budget.

Games aren't inherently better by being AAA, and neither are they inherently better by being AA. It's understandable to have a general preference for one or the other due to other factors (AA likely having more scope for experimentation, AAA being more of a spectacle), but if you're both just going to portray the other with the worst examples you can think of, then you're both wasting your time.

And I did it on purpose. I think it was obvious. My preference on AA is a personal preference. AA are not better per se than AAA obviously, but can be as good and I usually like it more.

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
These posts are getting a bit out of hand. They aren't disappointing for anyone who has followed these games. SoT has established a large audience and inspite of gamepass has shocked people with sales. Its a fun game that will grow and expand and has a clear roadmap.

SoD2 is a game by a small developer that was always intended to build upon and smarten up the first game, which was a very fun game, but a technical mess. The sequel was never going to be flawless or different in direction.

Some people on here and a few people in the media are trying to discuss these games against an entirely unfair backdrop, and are deliberately doing so. Neither SoT or SoD2 was ever pitched or leveraged as an answer to massive AAA productions like GoW. Anyone who claims they were is being highly disingenuous. The fact that both games are coming at a time when MS 1P has some definite holes is not the games nor the dev teams fault. Its fine to be critical of games, but to try and rewrite the context those games are delivered in to suit the current narrative is not ok and massively disrespectful to the teams involved.

The initial SoD found a large but niche audience on an Xbox platform that was healthier than the current one is. In the same way as some very ropey exclusive games on the PS4 have done ok that side too, because they have the numbers to achieve that. Expecting the sequel (which has massively increased in scope but not necessarily production) to be the answer to huge studios is really unfair and not in my view a healthy way to appraise the industry.

SoT definitely disappointed a lot people even those who enjoyed the beta (I'm one of them). ItsI straight up robbery to charge $60 for that game. They should have put on game preview until it had enough content.

SoD was a big success and a lot of people expected to improve a lot in the sequle. Theres no excuse for poor animations and coop implementation when the publisher is fucking MS.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Golly, it's almost as if you weren't though with how you approached them with "Surely you'd rather play these critically acclaimed games that anyone with taste can remember 10 years down the line, and not some average little game?"

And who's to say I wasn't genuinely asking either, huh?? Huhhh?? Thought this was a message board where we ask each other things.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Great preview from someone who clearly played the first game and spent a lot of time with State of Decay 2:

Co-op players are tethered, but they can venture in different directions to an extent. However, each building has unique crates for each player, so it makes sense to stick together. While you're ultimately contributing to the host's community during the session, non-host players can bring items back to their games.

With improved controls, added co-op play, and better user-interface offerings, State of Decay 2 keeps the great concept of the first game while improving nearly every aspect around it. While some technical hiccups presented themselves in this pre-release build, State of Decay 2 already feels more stable than its predecessor at launch. I look forward to seeing the full extent of Undead Labs' realized vision on May 2

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...-full-day-in-state-of-decay-2-apocalypse.aspx

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
And I did it on purpose. I think it was obvious. My preference on AA is a personal preference. AA are not better per se than AAA obviously, but can be as good and I usually like it more.

Fair enough. It wasn't really obvious because in this context your stated fear of AA disappearing was attached to a game being criticized for perceived shortcomings, which would better be attributed to games like ReCore and Super Lucky's Tale as opposed to the near-universally acclaimed Ori and Cuphead. Games such as those aren't likely to be negatively impacted, much like The Order bombing is unlikely to affect Uncharted.

If I were to be honest, in the case of something like ReCore, I'd argue that was a AA game that would have benefit massively from a AAA budget. Mechanically I thought the game was great... but it's "jank", seemingly rushed development and general lack of polish is honestly what separates it from something like Horizon: Zero Dawn, which I consider to have a lot of similarities otherwise.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Fair enough. It wasn't really obvious because in this context your stated fear of AA disappearing was attached to a game being criticized for perceived shortcomings, which would better be attributed to games like ReCore and Super Lucky's Tale as opposed to the near-universally acclaimed Ori and Cuphead. Games such as those aren't likely to be negatively impacted, much like The Order bombing is unlikely to affect Uncharted.

If I were to be honest, in the case of something like ReCore, I'd argue that was a AA game that would have benefit massively from a AAA budget. Mechanically I thought the game was great... but it's "jank", seemingly rushed development and general lack of polish is honestly what separates it from something like Horizon: Zero Dawn, which I consider to have a lot of similarities otherwise.

I said that because even when an small/mid budget game of Microsoft succeed there are people asking "yeah, but where are the AAA?". I don't want Microsoft give up on making AA because everybody is asking them for blockbusters, I want microsoft to improve their AA production, and give us more even more AA. I even think that they are better on AA than Sony historically, even with the wrong choices that they have made this gen.

To clarify I want Microsoft to give us good games, i couldn't care less what is the budget of those games. If they can give me 3 AA with their budget or one single AAA I still prefer the 3 AA.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

You've chosen a couple of forgettable and poorly reviewed AA games there and you're comparing them to a couple of critically acclaimed titles.

I think I can chime in and say that I'm still playing Super Meat Boy and Geometry Wars but haven't touched Uncharted DF or Resistance FOM since they launched and have no intention of playing either again. The budget of a game doesn't make it any more or less forgettable or better or worse. I'll probably still dip in to games like Velocity 2X and Cuphead in 10 years but I doubt I'll still be dipping in to HZD or GoW. Some games are timeless but their budget is not the reason.

Also, I don't think Nier Automata would ever have been greenlit with a AAA budget. That's why it's nice to have A/AA options available. It gets tiring when it's AAA or indie with nothing in between - we saw the detrimental effect that had in the movie industry.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I said that because even when an small/mid budget game of Microsoft succeed there are people asking "yeah, but where are the AAA?". I don't want Microsoft give up on making AA because everybody is asking them for blockbusters, I want microsoft to improve their AA production, and give us more even more AA. I even think that they are better on AA than Sony historically, even with the wrong choices that they have made this gen.

To clarify I want Microsoft to give us good games, i couldn't care less what is the budget of those games. If they can give me 3 AA with their budget or one single AAA I still prefer the 3 AA.

You just need to ignore people in bubbles like this forum then, MS surely will be. There's a reason an Ori sequel is on the way, and not a sequel to The Order.

In regards to funding though, it wouldn't really be as simple as the games being cheaper to produce. That would work if we were to assume each game sells 0 copies (so throwing away $99m would be equivalent to throwing away 3 sets of $33m), but unless each of those AA game can return a third of what the AAA game can, then they won't necessarily justify even a third of the budget that the single AAA would.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see that this thread has finally moved on to list wars.

Burn it down.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
You just need to ignore people in bubbles like this forum then, MS surely will be. There's a reason an Ori sequel is on the way, and not a sequel to The Order.

In regards to funding though, it wouldn't really be as simple as the games being cheaper to produce. That would work if we were to assume each game sells 0 copies (so throwing away $99m would be equivalent to throwing away 3 sets of $33m), but unless each of those AA game can return a third of what the AAA game can, then they won't necessarily justify even a third of the budget that the single AAA would.

Yep, AAA usually have more return that mid sized games, but I speak as a player. And I'm not very AAA sucker, since I still love many of them. Hoping MS don't listen, and focus on improving their output for every kind of game. My ideal year would be one with 3-4 small exclusives and 1-2 AAA. Since I like SoT and I'm still playing. If SoD2 and Crackdown succeed on being fun games, and MS give us a big AAA (besides of forza, I don't like driving games) I would consider this year very good.

OP
OP

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

just saying

"We have long-term ambitions for the franchise," said Strain in an interview following the demo, referring to the deal with Microsoft. "Wherever we take this, in terms of sequels, multiplayer will be built in from the beginning."

https://www.polygon.com/2014/4/20/5628554/state-of-decay-lifeline-preview-undead-labs-interview

and thats from 2014,

co op was always intended in future titles that much has been stated since basically inception of the studio

everyone basically wanted a more polished state of decay 1 with co op, even jeff admitted than in an interview too

This is not Class4 as it was originally envisioned. That was to be more of an MMO type of experience. What happened was that State of Decay did really well. Over five million people have played it at this point, which far exceeded our wildest hopes, dreams. What we did when we started on State of Decay 2 was we were like, "Okay, let's do Class4." We took a step back and really looked at what people were asking for. People were not asking for a completely different type of game. What they were asking for was, "We want it bigger, we want it more polished, and we want to play with our friends." That is literally 95% of all the feedback we got on the game. At some point we just decided, "Hey, you know what? Crazy idea. We should probably just build the game that people are asking for." That was the design genesis for State of Decay 2

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/state-of-decay-2-dev-talks-larger-world-co-op-grie/1100-6448632/

i loved state of decay and i love everything jeff strain did prior he over saw guild wars 1 which is a game i loved and played for thousands of hours ^(literally)

i can look past the bugs and that but i dont want the co op experience to be hindered and ruin enjoyment of fun,