• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mountains out of fucking molehills as usual. Shame the original inflamattory headline of this thread stuck for so long.

Watched the GB quick look last night and Brad seemed really into it, more than he was the first game anyway. Roll on release!

Oct 26, 2017
I mean the Windows Central (lol) thing is saying exactly what the preview in the OP is saying wrt tethering. That doesn't make it much or really, any better.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I would definitely like the press to investigate MS and figure out why these games take so long and have so many issues though. That's something that everyone, even xbox fans, should be able to get behind.

charlie-conspiracy-470x310@2x.jpg

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I mean the Windows Central (lol) thing is saying exactly what the preview in the OP is saying. That doesn't make it much or really, any better.

Worse than this, you can only travel a short distance away from the host before the game pulls you back to your friend's approximate vicinity.

Why can't our team of four split into two pairs to approach a target from opposite directions, or go off to accomplish separate objectives?

Sure doesnt look like a short distance or that would restrict people from approaching a target from opposite directions in any sense

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I do find the opinion of people who actually played the game more valuable than hot takes from era users that havent touched (and probably never will) the game, yes. But i'm weird like this.
So people can't have enough game experience, of games of similar genre to make an educated guess of what impact something like thethering will have on the gameplay based on past experience ?

I mean it's true it's hard to go against that very detailed comparison with FC5 when no survival multiplayer game has been released in the past years, to draw a comparison with how those games were played.

But since that comparison with FC5 make that much sense...
Leashing co-op mechanic or you die. I think that just killed my interest.
Far Cry 5's Coop is BADLY executed... :\
FC5 is awesome. The COOP is a waste of time.
Why did they fuck up co op? WHY!?!?!?
etc....
All about FC5.... so.. will those be explained by the fact they come from Ubisoft hater who never wanted to play that game from the get go or can we stop with the persecution complex and realize many people have those complaints because they were actually interested in the game ?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it's a conspiracy to suggest that SoT launching with barely anything in it after 4+ years and this game having these kinds of issues and being so similar to the 1st game after another 4 years is something that should be looked at by people like Schreier. You don't think it's odd that they worked on these for so long and had these issues? This isn't a common occurrence in the industry. The games taking that long is, but not with these kinds of problems.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
So people can't have enough game experience, of games of similar genre to make an educated guess of what impact something like thethering will have on the gameplay based on past experience ?

Your educated guess is not enough to measure anything in the game before playing it

No one said thinking teethering is bad is the problem here. Keep your strawmens to yourself. The problem was people who will never touch the game talking about how bad and limiting the teethering was, then someone else who did said "its not that bad actually" and then the same people keep insisting that it is bad because.... they really want it to be i guess

Oct 26, 2017
Your educated guess is not enough to measure anything in the game before playing it

No one said thinking teethering is bad is the problem here. Keep your strawmans to yourself. The problem was people who will never touch the game talking about how bad and limiting the teethering was, then someone else who did said "its not that bad actually" and then the same people keep insisting that it is bad because.... they really want it to be i guess
You're talking about strawmans and then arbitrarily insisting the people saying that they don't like the tethering wouldn't have played the game anyway.

Choose your argument.

Oct 27, 2017
450 metres. Posted by the dev in discord. That's tiny. Possibly made less impactful because of the small maps though.
450m is fine in my book.

Enough room to make coordinated attacks and foraging together. As you are cooping in someone's instance, you should be working together. That is plenty of space in order to explore quite a bit together

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I don't think it's a conspiracy to suggest that SoT launching with barely anything in it after 4+ years and this game having these kinds of issues and being so similar to the 1st game after another 4 years is something that should be looked at by people like Schreier. You don't think it's odd that they worked on these for so long and had these issues? This isn't a common occurrence in the industry. The games taking that long is, but not with these kinds of problems.
I am baffled that you do not consider the most logical things as to why a game is longer in production compared to other studios.
Also it's nothing unusual, look at other franchises and companies.

And "barely anything in it" is veeeeery subjective.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing other users.
You're talking about strawmans and then arbitrarily insisting the people saying that they don't like the tethering wouldn't have played the game anyway.

Choose your argument.

I'm sure all the fine folks concerned here are just waiting for their chance to use the beloved w10 store and play SoD2 to their hearts content while giving it a fair chance, don't worry

Oct 26, 2017
450m is fine in my book.

Enough room to make coordinated attacks and foraging together. As you are cooping in someone's instance, you should be working together. That is plenty of space in order to explore quite a bit together
It's fine, sure. But to me it's disappointing. I like playing co op with people and just messing around a bit. Go our own way, explore different areas than my friend then meet back up at something interesting. That's just the way my friend and I like playing co op. The tethering isn't a deal breaker and I'll still be getting the game and playing co op, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a little disappointing.

If only it was more like Far Cry 5, right?
I haven't mentioned Far Cry 5 in this thread, nor have I ever played Far Cry 5 in co op, so uh what's your point?

I'm sure all the fine folks concerned here are just waiting for their chance to use the beloved w10 store and play SoD2 to their hearts content while giving it a fair chance, don't worry
Yeah, you're not worth ever talking to again.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fine, sure. But to me it's disappointing. I like playing co op with people and just messing around a bit. Go our own way, explore different areas than my friend then meet back up at something interesting. That's just the way my friend and I like playing co op. The tethering isn't a deal breaker and I'll still be getting the game and playing co op, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a little disappointing.

I haven't mentioned Far Cry 5 in this thread, nor have I ever played Far Cry 5 in co op, so uh what's your point?

Yeah, you're not worth ever talking to again.

Just noticed through looking at your post history that you really enjoy Far Cry 5 but hadnt mentioned the co-op tethering in that game. Not a big deal for that game obviously, whereas for State of Decay 2 it's a big deal, a big big deal.

Oct 27, 2017
But it was someone who played the game that said the tethering was an issue to begin with. This just seems to be a subjective thing that some people dislike and others don't mind.
The original article said short distance. It depends what you consider short. If you consider not being across the map to be short, then sure

Short for me means they have to be 10 feet from you at all times. If the other players can scavenge a house down the road while I'm in 1 house, I think that's fine

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why is tethering in multiplayer still a thing? This shit goes back to the original Xbox and the Ghost Recon days (for me at least) its terrible. You'd think it wouldn't be a problem in this day and age of games.

I don't agree with the acceptance of "well, you should be working together" or "the maps are small" what if I don't want to work by my friends side at all times, why can't we hit two objectives at once? And the maps aren't so small as to not need the tethering, or else they wouldn't implement this impedance.

Maybe I'm just spoilt by games like Arma and Battlegrounds.

Oct 27, 2017
I am baffled that you do not consider the most logical things as to why a game is longer in production compared to other studios.
Also it's nothing unusual, look at other franchises and companies.

And "barely anything in it" is veeeeery subjective.

I kinda agree with him though... how do you develops a game for 4 years and... have a fraction of the content that other games have? Is it the small teams? Is Microsoft basing it's future on small dev teams?

Obviously games like assassin's creed have hundreds of developers so maybe it's an unfair comparison... but sea of thieves? Unacceptable. That game is literally empty and I was so excited for it. But that's the sad part.. there is more content in a small region of assassin's creed than the entire game of sea of thieves. There are plenty of games that have more content than anything Microsoft is putting out recently with smaller teams.

I prefer my xbox over all my other consoles so don't assume I'm just taking sides... Microsoft has a management issue with their games. There is a very fine line between "giving devs freedom and time" and not even checking to see if shit gets done.. I read something about someone on the dev team for sea of thieves who basically said they spent more time screwing around with mundane things rather than work on the actual game. Like the boat design took years to finalize, they never actually had a vision on wtf the game even was, ect.

I'll be getting sod2, just as I got sea of thieves because despite all of this, I do enjoy the games... but I agree ms has a serious issue with content creation, time management and direction. Something is off... and they need to stop making games just to put something out there and put some actual heart into their games.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That would have it's own problems. Would any player play on that base without the others? or that game needs to be played always by the same players? What about a friend causing the death of a NPC and losing all the quests of that character? The kind of coop they implemented gives you a chance of playing with different friends over the time, without conscuences for their own story, or helping different friends on their game without consecuences for you.

There was many posibilities, many would find that other concepts of multiplayer coop would fit better with them, but that doesn't mean different approaches don't have it's own flaws.

True but options would have been nice. I for example would not be playing solo (2 spooky) and only with a certain group.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
To be honest, I don't care about the multiplayer problems at all.
What makes the first game so special to me was that it was one of the very rare games in that survival zombie direction that completely focused on a single player experience. An open world, survival elements, crafting, building, expanding bases, people you can loose forever and everything as single player, that was amazing and if the second game is just better and bigger in every part (and hopefully still has the focus on the single player), that's enough for me.
I only watched the very first IGN gameplay video so far and the coop in it looked horrible and destroyed the immersion on every little corner. It just looked arcady and they were doing the same stuff all over again. If that's what people want, fine, but I stay in the atmospheric immersive single player campaign.

Last edited:

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So, these are the details from co-op rather than quick impressions, and who would have thought? The complaints were completely overblown.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-state-decay-2s-co-op-works-progression-tethering-and-more
So because this preview outlet didn't think it was an issue, the others are wrong?

You don't think this is just someone else's opinion? You know, the same way someone in this thread might be cool with tethering because they prefer not to split up? Couldn't this come down to how they want to play the game rather than some objective truth about tethering as an acceptable mechanic for the apparent monolith that is the gaming public?

Y'all are crazy.

Oct 27, 2017
450 metres. Posted by the dev in discord. That's tiny. Possibly made less impactful because of the small maps though.
It's really not tiny. If you get in trouble, 450 meters is far enough that you would die before I got there. In game, 450 meters is the distance from one cropping of houses to another. So you could be in X area and down the road I'm looting these other houses

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
So because this preview outlet didn't think it was an issue, the others are wrong?.

No, it's because the issue is blown out of proportion

The op preview says the distance is short and you cant even approach the same target with your friends from opposite directions. While teetering affecting enjoyment is indeed a subjective matter (which no one is discussing) the actual distance is not that short and no building will take more than half of the map stopping you and your friends from entering in different ways

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That's still limiting you and your friend to the same area. It's probably still going to be fun, but it's not how I imagined playing a large-map co-op game.

We have known it was ~450m for quite a while in this thread. This new opinion isn't invalidating any concerns for people who already knew that as all it really shows is that the folks at windowscentral don't mind the tether while other places obviously were impacted by it.

Their opinion is worth as much as any other outlet, so using it to tell people who don't like the idea of a tether to shut up is ridiculous.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
How does travelling to the other maps work? Do you drive across a bridge? Go into menu to load another map?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's still limiting you and your friend to the same area. It's probably still going to be fun, but it's not how I imagined playing a large-map co-op game.

We have known it was ~450m for quite a while in this thread. This new opinion isn't invalidating any concerns for people who already knew that as all it really shows is that the folks at windowscentral don't mind the tether while other places obviously were impacted by it.

Their opinion is worth as much as any other outlet, so using it to tell people who don't like the idea of a tether to shut up is ridiculous.
Well maybe you should try the game before concluding that the tethering is an awful implementation. These outlets have actually tried the game; you haven't. It's all doom and gloom from you.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been a co op game that let the players deviate away from one another over wide areas? I'm not trying to make excuses for them, but it seems to be a pretty standard thing, then again I haven't played too many co op games. Good thing its only $30, because releasing a buggy game at $60 is hard to swallow.

I was a fan of State of Decay and was anticipating a sequel with coop. But that host tether stuff is some 200X level bs.

I can think of a couple games that released within the last year or so that do this same thing, more recently Far Cry 5. So I don't think it is fair to say its a "200X' thing.