• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
After trying desperately to get my fiancé to watch Star Wars episodes IV-VII, I was finally able to see episode VIII today.

I loved it and so did she.

She couldn't stand the original trilogy though. She believed it was poorly acted and just couldn't get into it. As such she was dreading watching episode VII last week but she was shocked that she ended up really enjoying it.

Only things she liked from the original is R2 and especially C-3PO.

Can't wait for IX.
:(

Glad you guys enjoyed the new ST though.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bah this is bugging me now. I'm no statistician so my math is prolly fuzzy but I'm trying to read that article correct now.
It says TLJ = 6,587 = 47% down from RO, which.. does this mean it's 100-47 = 53% of RO? So RO = 6,587/0.53 = 12,428.
and TLJ = 56% down from TFA, which.. does this mean it's 100-56 = 44% of TFA? So TFA = 6,587/0.44 = 14,970.

TFA = 14,970 (100%)
RO = 12,428 (83% of TFA, 17% down from TFA)
TLJ = 6,587 (44% of TFA, 56% down from TFA, 53% of RO, 47% down from RO)

Yikes, now I'm the one doing toy sales stats. Yeesh I'm not confident in my math or my reading of the article. Plz help.

I took some stats classes way back when, I'm far from an expert but that looks right? (not that this is beyond basic K-12 which is sad because I'm so second guessing myself here as well. XD)

I mean if something is down 25% that means it's actually 75% of the previous total.

EDIT: Star Wars sales doubling from pre-TFA to TFA may not be accurate, or rather it looks like what was shown to me was only referring to the Canadian Market. Still that shouldn't effect these numbers.

This was the link given to me in the Box Office thread, but yeah it's for the CND market.
https://www.npdgroup.ca/wps/portal/...cord-breaking-sales-thanks-to-star-wars-hype/

Last edited:

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I had completely misremembered just how clearly this telegraphs the disparity between Kylo and Rey, they literally follow a shot of him taking on three dudes at once with Rey getting knocked down by one.
Yup, I totally missed it on my first watch but on second viewing it's clear as day that Kylo is a melee monster in comparison to. Rey.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It makes sense to me know. I've finally accepted that Rey is a Mary Sue. Why? Because Daisy Ridley is a Mary Sue herself. As evidenced:

She states here in the video that she's got no prior experience with recording. She's asked if she can sing, and suddenly, she can sing incredibly well by merely looking at Barbra Streisand, an expert vocalist.

Where's her training? Where's the previous exposure to the art of singing? Is it possible that she harnessed transferable experience such as singing in the shower or in the car? Maybe she hummed a tune or two during a long walk or bike ride?

So, we see Daisy training for a fight scene that's supposed to take her three days to learn. How long does it take her to master it? An hour and a half.

This follows no logic or reason. It's simply not possible for someone to master a complete melee combat routine in a fraction of the intended time.

This newfound discovery will make things easier for me to accept, moving forward into EP9, when Rey is inevitably godlike, ascending into the sky as a force ghost even before death. In fact.. I've also accepted the very real possibility that she may never even die at all.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
He's straight up tossing these dudes around the room. Seriously a really well done fight scene.
Best part about the fight scene is the guard who does a little flourish. Then Rey is like.. OK I'll do one right back at you AHHHHHH!! (screaming)

The whole scene is pretty great and it's super scrappy. Love Ren kicking and throwing people and Rey swinging wildly to keep the guard at bay.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Best part about the fight scene is the guard who does a little flourish. Then Rey is like.. OK I'll do one right back at you AHHHHHH!! (screaming)

The whole scene is pretty great and it's super scrappy. Love Ren kicking and throwing people and Rey swinging wildly to keep the guard at bay.
It's basically the opposite of nearly every prequel fight where the fighters are quiet.

Daisy bring a lot of emotion into the fights, you can feel the effort and emotion and that's why I'm really liking all the new fight scenes.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So I finally saw The Last Jedi and I have mixed thoughts. My big thing though is I honestly can't believe people still ship Rey and Kylo Ren with a straight face. Homie was straight up gaslighting her, trying to convince her that she'll only find her self worth if she remains by his side. The fuck?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I think my favourite part is when Kylo is being held down by the two spear dudes at once, and then when a third guy comes in he just Beast modes both guys he's struggling against, sends them both flying, then stabs the third guy right through the chest. RIGHT through the chest. Like, all the way to the hilt, and all the while his lightsabre's making that sick-ass crackling sound. God I love that fight so much.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I think the lightsabre through the face has to be the best bit of cheekily-hidden violence in a PG-13 movie since the pen trick in The Dark Knight.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Love it. The sound design adds so much to these scenes. Genuinely love every new saber sound effect.

It's basically the opposite of nearly every prequel fight where the fighters are quiet.

Daisy bring a lot of emotion into the fights, you can feel the effort and emotion and that's why I'm really liking all the new fight scenes.
Daisy's a trooper too, she was allergic to the snow in the first film.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Daisy's a trooper too, she was allergic to the snow in the first film.

Snoke was right about her, such spunk indeed. Daisy's honestly been my favourite part of this whole Star Wars revival these last few years; she just seems to throw everything she's got into the role. Whether it's action, comedy, dramatic moments, she's just so much fun to watch, and she has such great chemistry with every other actor, too.

irbri

Nov 2, 2017
there is a difference between having legitimate criticism of the movie and what Seeya is doing. all throughout this thread and others, they have been trying to twist every single aspect of Star Wars to fit some strange version that seemingly only they perceive.
Oh geez dude, way to ignore everything that he's said.
Seeya is bringing up examples from the movies and his own experience with swords to prove his point. He even keeps things in context.

Whereas someone like Crossing Eden takes dialaogue from a scene where Yoda's telling Luke that he should do and not just try, ignoring the fact that Luke just spent months doing intense training with Yoda by that point, and then applying only the dialogue to everything about the Force, as if there weren't 6 movies that established that even Jesus Christ himself of the Star Wars universe had to train for long periods of time to attain their level of Force abilities and combat.
All in the defense of a poorly written character who gains abilities in only 30 seconds of trying really really hard. And it's not just with only Force abilities, but technical skills like piloting and physical combat skills. This is legitimate bad writing, because it comes straight out of her ass when the plot demands it. There is no other reason given except "because."

Which brings up...
You're genuinely writing fanfiction
You have no shame dude. you've lied, ignored point blank evidence, and then you have the nerve to say this when you created terms like "force synchronization" to try to explain why she "earns" abilities in seconds when the plot demands it?
What's wrong with you?

Seriously, this is all you do. To try and be right, you ignore so much shit.
You call Luke weak, despite the fact that he's a "farmer" which is absolutely hard work. Very ignorant shit to say.
You say he's bad at combat, using an example of a sand person doing a surprise attack on him? LOL. It's like saying the US had a weak navy because Japan steamrolled over them at Pearl Harbor.
Using the example him at the Catina trying to avoid getting into a fight when they're trying to keep their heads down just just shows how willfully ignorant you are to try and be right.

Going further back, it seems like it was BetterOffEd who brought these examples up, but it's no excuse to ignore the context of the scenes to try and make your own case.

You've done nothing but ignore the context in many scenes, trying to claim that pointing out the term for poorly written characters is sexist (if you want to use a Politically Correct term for this cliche named after the Originator, let us know an accepted one) to dismis legitimate criticism, and then trying to use your own headcannon as some objective fact, like that would explain anything in two movies that made no effort to explain these non-sequiturs.
The fact that you continue going back to these proven to be false claims shows that you're blatantly lying every single time.

irbri

Nov 2, 2017
It's more fun writing a story and characters when you let them dictate the story. When a character is well designed, they often tell the story for you, because you aren't looking at the story through what you would do, but through what the characters would do. And sometimes characters are stupid, or foolish, or heroic, or cowardly, or antagonistic, etc etc.
I 100% agree.

Generally, when I'm plotting out a story, I'll have a basic concept about what I want to write about: this story is about X conflict, with these characters. Then I'll work on building that out into a rough outline so I'll have a beginning, middle, and end, but it's still vague and rough, and I like it that way because it lets me be spontaneous when I'm writing. But the landmarks are still there, flexible, not immovable. It's more fun writing a story and characters when you let them dictate the story. When a character is well designed, they often tell the story for you, because you aren't looking at the story through what you would do, but through what the characters would do. And sometimes characters are stupid, or foolish, or heroic, or cowardly, or antagonistic, etc etc.
Except this isn't what's happening in these movies.

Everything revolves around the plot, to remake the scenes and actions from the original trilogy, or just to make it keep going.
They want the Millenium Falcon to do all the kickass stuff it did in ESB and RotJ? Rey's suddenly as great of a pilot as Lando/Han after not even keeping the MF level in 30 seconds of a vehicle she previiously said she's never piloted and think its junk... 30 seconds after claims she's a pilot just as they need to escape from FO TIE Fighters.
Fin and Poe need to escape from the revamped Star Destroyer and become action buddies like Han and Luke did in their escape from the Deathstar? TIE Fighters are now two seaters to allow that (I don't mind this one actually, but it's another example of this shit).
Rey needs to escape from the interrogation room? She is now able to Force Sync™ with Kylo and steals his powers to escape.
Rey needs to beat up 3 experienced guardsman who were trained since they were children in armed combat by probably Snoke himself? She's now able to, without any training whatsoever. And no, using the excuse of learning to fight off garbage men on her planet is like saying a guy who went to a really mean high school can now take on Bruce Lee or some Delta Force dude.
Rey is now able to lift up tons of boulders after spending less than a day with Luke, who didn't actually train her, just basically explained what the Force is, in order for the Rebels to escape.
Characters able to freely leave the fleet that is being tracked and hounded by the bad guys? WTF IS THIS>??!??! This is just plain retarded, especially when they tell you that they're running out of fuel. Why couldn't they use their hyperspace capable ships get fuel or help? because the plot demands they can't, just so they can recreate the Hoth battle at the end of the movie.

This is the plot dictating what the characters should be doing, not the characters leading the story. Everything that they do is for the sake of the plot.

irbri

Nov 2, 2017
It makes sense to me know. I've finally accepted that Rey is a Mary Sue. Why? Because Daisy Ridley is a Mary Sue herself. As evidenced:
She states here in the video that she's got no prior experience with recording. She's asked if she can sing, and suddenly, she can sing incredibly well by merely looking at Barbra Streisand, an expert vocalist.
"Can you sing?"
"yes"
I'm not sure what the difference is between recorded singing and regualr singing, so can you explain this one for me?
Is it really that much different than her prior experience with singing makes recorded singing that much of a WOW, UNBELIEVABLE level?

So, we see Daisy training for a fight scene that's supposed to take her three days to learn. How long does it take her to master it? An hour and a half
They're repeating a routine with this. You keep repeating the same motions over and over until you get it right, and then keep doing it, for however many takes they need to do for that scene.
I learned how to do a dance for a play in an afternoon, but i still don't know how to actually dance. It's literally no different than that, except for the props and Daisy not moving around as much (coordinator is specifically talking about the rock/lightsaber scene).

irbri

Nov 2, 2017
User has been banned (3 days): unnecessariy hostile behaviour, usage and defense of inflammatory language. Has been warned for similar behaviour in this very thread before.
Can you not do this. English language has a lot of words and your use of this is unnecessary and unacceptable
"This is just offensively idiotic"

oh wait, idiot was used to denote people with an IQ under 70.

and shit, comparing it to someone with such a weak brain that they're handicapped? how unPC.

How can i denote how moro... du... wtf words can i use to describe that that weren't once used to describe certain people?

I'm not going to change my vernacular just because you're thinking of it as its outdated term that is no longer used to refer to those type of people, thanks to their common usage to mean more than a specific condition.
If i called a guy a retard, you'd have a point, but this is a descriptive word to show how lacking in logic that type of writing is and "lacking in logic" sounds robotic as fuck.
There's a clear difference between using it as a "bad word" and using it the way i did. It's not a perojative.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Looking for arguments about Daisy Ridley's abilities in real life now.

Is this the forum thread equivalent of jumping the shark?

And yes, using the word 'retarded' in that way is fucking offensive.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Using retarded in a descriptive sense rather than something like "lacking in logic" shows an immaturity and is no different to how children use gay to mean something bad.

Go ahead and keep using retarded if you want to be completely dismissed, and rightly so

Last edited:

irbri

Nov 2, 2017
Using retarded in a descriptive sense rather than something like "lacking in logic" shows an immaturity and is no different to how children use gay to mean something bad.

Go ahead and keep using retarded if you want to be completely dismissed, and rightly so
So because you dont like how i use my words, which isn't even a perojative like you wanted claim it was, you're going to dismiss an argument?

What's that fallacy called?

irbri

Nov 2, 2017
Looking for arguments about Daisy Ridley's abilities in real life now.

Is this the forum thread equivalent of jumping the shark?

And yes, using the word 'retarded' in that way is fucking offensive.
how many times have you used "dumb", "stupid", "moronic" etc in the past year?
So many of these words we use today were onced used to denote a specific conditions for less abled people by various institutions, yet everyone likely uses them regardless of what they USED to mean."Used to" being the keyword here, especially when it's come to mean its own thing. The only reason you even care is because "retard" is relatively recent. Unlike "gay", which is specifically used to compare a negative action with a certain people. Retarded was always a negative, before it started being used by the medical community to describe types of people.
Again, if it's used as an insult, it'd be a perojative. Instead, it's an adjective to describe the story.

And yes, trying to bring up qualities someone already has and pretend it even comes close to describing unrealistic unearned behaviors and abilities that goes against what was already established by the story/setting is pretty ridiculous.

Mikey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God damn that dude was annoying. Reminds me of the type who argues for the sake of arguing and manages to say very little despite typing paragraphs.

So how about that Luke drinking milk scene.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the movie one last time before it leaves the cinema. I rarely go and see a movie even twice these days, and three screenings is pretty much unheard of for, so I suppose it's fair to say I like this movie quite a bit.

The part that stood out to me the most this time was Luke's first lesson, when Rey reaches out and feels warmth, cold, life, death, that breeds new life and so on. I thought it was a great way of explaining the concept of the Force to Rey (and a whole new generation of viewers who don't know Star Wars), but it's also such a wonderful character moment for Rey. Between each insert shot it cuts back to this smile slowly creeping across Rey's face, and you can see exactly what it means to her to finally have a measure of understanding about her place in the world, to feel like she's part of something. She looks so purely happy to have found something more than just scavenging to stay alive in a desert.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
So I finally saw The Last Jedi and I have mixed thoughts. My big thing though is I honestly can't believe people still ship Rey and Kylo Ren with a straight face. Homie was straight up gaslighting her, trying to convince her that she'll only find her self worth if she remains by his side. The fuck?
I guess maybe i don't understand 'shipping'.

Wanting them to get married and have babies? Nah.

Acknowledging the clearly illustrated sexual tension and emotional bond they formed in the last Jedi as one of the most obvious and major plot points in the film? How can you not? They are literally holding hands at one point in the movie. The fact that you are talking about him gaslighting her at all is an acknowledgment that the writers were flirting with this direction for the characters. Of course it's toxic.at this point they've pretty much metaphorically (and literally) closed the door on it but it was definitely there.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Does anyone else simply not have the desire to watch the new Star Wars films more than once? I liked all three enough while watching them (Rogue One was best, in my opinion, and TLJ was next), but have never really felt like multiple viewings unlike previous Star Wars movies. The Original Trilogy moreso than anything else.

It's good, but just not the same.

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone else simply not have the desire to watch the new Star Wars films more than once? I liked all three enough while watching them (Rogue One was best, in my opinion, and TLJ was next), but have never really felt like multiple viewings unlike previous Star Wars movies. The Original Trilogy moreso than anything else.

It's a bit mixed for me. I've rewatched TFA and R1 a few times (R1's ending battle is just so fun to watch), but I have no desire to rewatch TLJ. Well, maybe if I just fast forward through all of the Resistance/Canto Bright sections.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Rogue One was a one and done for me. Well, I actually did rewatch it recently, but it didn't really change my opinion on it. It's fine, but I don't really like it at all outside of some of the action at the end.

TFA and TLJ have hit me just right, though. I absolutely adore those movies. I must have seen TFA at least ten times by now, and I'll be getting the 4K Blu Ray of TLJ as soon as I can.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

I watched this movie four times in the theater. I almost never watch a movie more than once in total, even on home video. TLJ was really special to me and made me love Star Wars again.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Maybe it's just my miserable depression. Makes me tired and not interested in doing anything, and I can't enjoy things like I used to. I liked the 3 new SW films, but just haven't felt like watching them again.

Oct 25, 2017
Saw TFA twice in theaters (was a big year for me doing that, saw Fury Road 4 times). Soured on TFA on repeat viewings, couldn't get through it on home viewing.

Watched R1 a bunch of times, besides the back half of Jedha, really love the attention to detail and world building in the movie. Plus the Scarif buildup and action is the best since RotJ.

Only saw TLJ once and it soured for me the more time away from the movie. At the same time it made me watch TFA again, giving new appreciation to it. The characters and moments feel much stronger than TLJ up until SKB fires, afterwards the frenetic pace throws out what made the first half so good.

tiddles

Oct 29, 2017
I hope the third movie somehow goes into the origins of the First Order, and how they've managed to take over the galaxy again. TLJ and TFA were both short on world-building - after seeing the last movie I've been compensating by reading background materials and watching videos, and it would be great if the plot revolved around the heroes having to travel into the Unknown Regions to find the source of the First Order in order to defeat them. Maybe you would discover more about the origins of Snoke, exactly what he was and perhaps if there others like him, who are strong dark side users but different from the Sith. Not least it would be nice to discover how the First Order funded their rearmament (maybe this is already in a book or comic somewhere?), given that they were made up of the ragtag survivors of the Empire hiding out in the mysterious hidden parts of the galaxy, and then suddenly appeared with a massive fleet and a superweapon...