• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seemingly minutes before the end of the ROTJ he is still struggling with anger and conflict. Just because he overcame it once in that moment doesn't mean he's completely immune to it for the next 30 years. That creates such a one-dimensional view of his character, and I find that incredibly unrealistic.

Luke's character in TLJ spoke to me on a primal level because I personally have had that struggle of feeling so burdened by the past that I wanted to just throw it all away and go seclude myself somewhere. It's the same reason why initially I got a twinge of "yeah, why not?" when Kylo begins his speech about burning down all the institutions. Which I think was an intended reaction for at least a portion of the audience. But in the end I think the message from Yoda that Luke clearly embraces is "take the bad with the good and try to do right by the people that come after you." That's really inspiring to me.

So do you think Luke has a satisfying arc in ROJ?

And for me it's not unbelievable. Sure real people slide and repeat mistakes and struggles. But it's about as satisfying as if a future film opens with Rey having quit the resistance and sitting back on Jakku wondering about her parents.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well you should because people at Lucasfilm point to scenes in it when someone tried to claim people can't survive space on Twitter. ;)

Oh and that was Plo Koon. Not Obi-Wan.
plo-koon-bio-5_178f47ee.jpeg

Also in ESB Leia and Han go out on the asteroid/space worm with simple breathing masks. No need for space suits or anything to protect their skin.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
User has been warned: insulting another user.
Wasn't it luck ? I mean, Luke came to Crait without any plan, the rebels thought there was an escape route behind them because they saw Luke appeared there which wasn't true because the way out was blocked by rock, without Mary Sue, they wouldn't have escaped and would be dead now.

All of that could have been prevented if Rose would have let Finn died to protect everyone, she prevented him to not only have a good character moment for once and save the rebellion, I think she didn't get why her sister sacrifice herself, what a stupid character Rose is.
Oh so you are just a sexist POS troll.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
People crying about Luke turning the saber on forget he almost killed his father in ROTJ. And in both cases he backed off, but the consequences for both were different.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People crying about Luke turning the saber on forget he almost killed his father in ROTJ. And in both cases he backed off, but the consequences for both were different.
I think a lot of people only watched the film once and Kylo's vision is what stuck in their mind.

SOOOOO many people insisted Luke held his saber over Kylo's neck. Which...never happened except in Kylo's crazey-eyed vision.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because they're not really the same things. There are similarities but what Luke's struggling with in The Last Jedi is not as straight across as you're framing it, I don't feel. And that also ignores, even if I wanted to roll with your interpretation of his character in both films, the idea that once you overcome a thing, it stays overcome forever. People struggle with difficult aspects of their being all the time. Especially when life throws a real big wrench in the works. That's not unrealistic. It's certainly not cheating, so far as drama goes.

All that stuff I was saying about nullified happy endings speaks to how you believed the character was fully realized because of Return of the Jedi, but this film argues that he thought that too (he calls it out himself in the dialog of the film) and he thinks himself hubristic for it. "My arc is now realized, and I am a legend" is precisely (and accurately) the mental headspace that got him in trouble between ROTJ and TFA. He found out in the worst way that wasn't the case, and then he exacerbated that mistake because he is just as disappointed (if not moreso) as the audience would have been (note the number of people absolutely livid that Luke even turned the saber on).

You seem to basically be arguing that Luke got his big win in ROTJ, and that completed him, and so it should be nothing but W's from now on. But I don't think that's particularly good drama. You think him taking that big L and having to deal with it is "unsatisfying." But it's only unsatisfying if you couple your appreciation of the character primarily to what he does in the plotting rather than what he is in the characterization.

Some of my favorite Luke moments of all time are in this film, when he's a crusty, cranky old fucker.

Before TFA would you (did you?) ever argue Luke wasn't a fully realized character?

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
We're just glad Obi Wan wasn't the loser Luke was at the end. Obi Wan Kenobi, the true Hero of Star Wars, imagine if Obi Wan would have lose hope and wanted to die in the first Jedi temple like Luke instead of doing what he have done until the beginning of ANH ?

Eh? Obi Wan's the biggest failure in all the films:

- Allows himself to be separated from Qui-Gon during a duel with a particularly nasty Sith. Leads to Qui-Gon's death.
- Insists on taking on a young Anakin as his apprentice, against Yoda and the council's objections.
- Spends the next several years simply hand waving away a lot of troubling signs from his new apprentice.
- Finally confronts Anakin after learning about his completely forbidden sexual relationship with Padme that's been going on right under his nose, his treasonous relationship with a Sith lord, and his child murdering spree at the temple.
- Defeats Anakin, but then leaves the job unfinished. There's really no bigger failure than this in the entire SW saga. His failure to kill Anakin allows the rise of the Empire to take place, and is directly related to millions of deaths and galaxy-wide oppression.
- Despite having failed on a near unprecedented level to this point, Yoda still sees fit to have him hide out on Tatooine and "watch over" young Skywalker until he comes of age. You know. Because Obi Wan has such a great track record as a mentor to young Skywalker folk.
- Sits in a hut watching re-runs of Family Guy for 20 years pushing farts into his couch cushions.
- Trains Luke for 5 minutes. Then fucking dies.

Woot. What a "winner."

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I think a lot of people only watched the film once and Kylo's vision is what stuck in their mind.

SOOOOO many people insisted Luke held his saber over Kylo's neck. Which...never happened except in Kylo's crazey-eyed vision.

We got 3 different versions of that scene, so maybe that was just too confusing for general audiences? I hope not but I dunno.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

- Allows himself to be separated from Qui-Gon during a duel with a particularly nasty Sith. Leads to Qui-Gon's death.
- Insists on taking on a young Anakin as his apprentice, against Yoda and the council's objections.
- Spends the next several years simply hand waving away a lot of troubling signs from his new apprentice.
- Finally confronts Anakin after learning about his completely forbidden sexual relationship with Padme that's been going on right under his nose, his treasonous relationship with a Sith lord, and his child murdering spree at the temple.
- Defeats Anakin, but then leaves the job unfinished. There's really no bigger failure than this in the entire SW saga. His failure to kill Anakin allows the rise of the Empire to take place, and is directly related to millions of deaths and galaxy-wide oppression.
- Despite having failed on a near unprecedented level to this point, Yoda still sees fit to have him hide out on Tatooine and "watch over" young Skywalker until he comes of age. You know. Because Obi Wan has such a great track record as a mentor to young Skywalker folk.
- Sits in a hut watching re-runs of Family Guy for 20 years pushing farts into his couch cushions.

Woot. What a "winner."

And it's telling that to Luke by the time of TLJ, Obi-Wan was just the Jedi Master who created Darth Vader.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Because they're not really the same things. There are similarities but what Luke's struggling with in The Last Jedi is not as straight across as you're framing it, I don't feel. And that also ignores, even if I wanted to roll with your interpretation of his character in both films, the idea that once you overcome a thing, it stays overcome forever. People struggle with difficult aspects of their being all the time. Especially when life throws a real big wrench in the works. That's not unrealistic. It's certainly not cheating, so far as drama goes.

All that stuff I was saying about nullified happy endings speaks to how you believed the character was fully realized because of Return of the Jedi, but this film argues that he thought that too (he calls it out himself in the dialog of the film) and he thinks himself hubristic for it. "My arc is now realized, and I am a legend" is precisely (and accurately) the mental headspace that got him in trouble between ROTJ and TFA. He found out in the worst way that wasn't the case, and then he exacerbated that mistake because he is just as disappointed (if not moreso) as the audience would have been (note the number of people absolutely livid that Luke even turned the saber on).

You seem to basically be arguing that Luke got his big win in ROTJ, and that completed him, and so it should be nothing but W's from now on. But I don't think that's particularly good drama. You think him taking that big L and having to deal with it is "unsatisfying." But it's only unsatisfying if you couple your appreciation of the character primarily to what he does in the plotting rather than what he is in the characterization.

Some of my favorite Luke moments of all time are in this film, when he's a crusty, cranky old fucker.

Good shit. I'm quoting this for posterity.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nah, Luke's own version isn't really much better. He's holding it to the side but he himself talks about the absolute fear it put in Ben's eyes and all.

Its not Ren's cartoon version but it's none the less a massive screw up. The movie is insistent that's it's a massive screw up.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

Woot. What a "winner."
SXurw7E.gif

Hot damn, this is some fire thrown at Kenobi

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Luke's split second thought about killing Kylo is completely in character. That's Luke - he usually acts impulsively at first based on raw emotion, but always manages to get his head into things and reel it in.

It's like people completely forget ROTJ wherein Luke spends a good chunk of the final confrontation running on pure rage as he straight up tries to murder his father.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Perhaps I'm giving more credit to the character than he deserves in the moment, but even the first time watching the movie I did not interpret the "real" version of the story as Luke turning on his lightsaber intending to kill Ben. It was more like "I sensed incredible darkness and instinct kicked in" like a spider sense thing. Or like it's shown how Qui-gon and Obi-wan act in TPM when they sense something wrong. I never interpreted it as "I regret that I thought for a moment of killing my nephew" but more as "I regret that I didn't have more discernment about my behavior and how it looked"

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I think the best case is block anyone who spews out alt-right nonsense. And throwing around the term Mary Sue is alt-right through and through.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sorta misses the entire point of everything you quoted.

He obviously isn't a fully realized character anymore because they need to develop him further. It's why I was talking about how endings only count as endings if you don't continue the story past that point. Once you decide there's more story, there's more character to dig into, and there's an opportunity to even more thoroughly examine the character.

Either you let him be fundamentally the same person as he was at age 30, or you work out how he would have grown even further after failing again.

Maybe the trip-up here is that everyone's using the term "Fully" when what we should be saying is "well." Fully suggests there's nowhere else to go. Well says where we wound up is satisfying for that moment in the story. But when the story continues, the character needs to continue too, especially if they're going to take such a central role IN that story.

We've diverged somewhere.

This is the post that I originally responded to.

Exactly. Luke in TLJ, at the end, is exactly the Luke that people wanted him to be all along. It's the story of what happened after ROTJ that allowed him to be that.

My only argument was that he was already that after the OT.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If Obi-Wan had killed Anakin on Mustafar wouldn't the Empire still rise anyway? The Clonetroopers had already killed most Jedi. The Death Star would still be built. The Rogue One mission might even have had less casualties.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is rubbish. One of the best aspects to the film is its just not clear what happened or whose telling was accurate. I like the vagueness over Kylo and Lukes break.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Luke's split second thought about killing Kylo is completely in character. That's Luke - he usually acts impulsively at first based on raw emotion, but always manages to get his head into things and reel it in.

It's like people completely forget ROTJ wherein Luke spends a good chunk of the final confrontation running on pure rage as he straight up tries to murder his father.
Um, you realize that whole thing ends with Luke throwing aside his lightsaber and literally telling the closest Dark Side master "you've failed" and fully embraces the light side and won't use his powers for killing.

The only issue I have with Luke's split-second moment of weakness is that it feels like it retreads an aspect of Luke's character that was already resolved

Angel DvA

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Woot. What a "winner."

1) It happens during fights, Obi Wan was young and unexperimented, how many siths did he fought before him ?
2) He doesn't like Anakin at first, he's taking him as apprentice by respect for his master.
3) He wasn't closed of Anakin as much as you think, the animated series clone Wars shows that and even so, being reckless and evil are too different thing.
4) Confronting someone that have bad behavior is the right thing to do.
5) He thoughts he was gonna died, he was cut in half and almost drown in lava, he couldn't achieved him because he loves him, pretty much.
6) irrelevant
7) ok
8) still achieved much than Luke in TLJ.

Obi-Wan's greatest failure, this haircut.
WFHB29L.jpg

Can't deny the haircut part.

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1 moment in defense of his sister with his arc being completed after that point.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No one forgot. The odd thing is that it's seem like people forgot he stopped and threw his light saber away and tells the Emperor he's failed.

Will you be okay with him raging in IX?

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Um, you realize that whole thing ends with Luke throwing aside his lightsaber and literally telling the closest Dark Side master "you've failed" and fully embraces the light side and won't use his powers for killing.

The only issue I have with Luke's split-second moment of weakness is that it feels like it retreads an aspect of Luke's character that was already resolved
Saying it was "already resolved" assumes that Luke's character is a checklist of traits and achievements rather than a real person who can have ebbs and flows in his emotions and motivations.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Saying it was "already resolved" assumes that Luke's character is a checklist of traits and achievements rather than a real person who can have ebbs and flows in his emotions and motivations.
I mean this is definitely true, not going to argue that point.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That in no way contradicts my post.

Fact: in ROTJ Luke gives into rage and tries to kill his father.
Fact: in ROTJ Luke gets over his initial emotional impulse, lets his brain take over, refuses to kill Vader and embraces the light side.

Fact: in TLJ Luke considers killing Kylo.
Fact: in TLJ Luke gets over his initial emotional impulse, lets his brain take over, refuses to kill Kylo and embraces the light side.

Couldn't be more in character. It's like poetry, it rhymes.