• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Pointing out that more than one ship got destroyed isn't nitpicking though. Also a few comments back you started walking into strawman territory

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I mean is it really hard to admit that you're wrong by something that's clearly and obviously shown in the screen?

It's okay, you're just a human being, you can be wrong sometimes too, it's not the end of the world.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Those tie fighters and walkers could have come from a single Star Destroyer. It's not like a regular Star Destroyer isn't already the size of a small town or something...

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it destroyed all the other ships where did the goddamned walkers, ties, and Kylo's stupid bat-shuttle come from an hour later?

Fuck's sake this scab-picking is tiresome as shit.

"Goddamn this was a cool thing how do I utterly ruin it for myself and anyone else in earshot."

The supremacy was so god damn big that resources were able to make it to the surface, probably. I mean our heroes got out of a working hangar bay

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are now in such a scab feasting frenzy you're not even getting the english right.

and

Like, you guys are fucking hangry when I'm flat out allowing for the possibility I'm wrong and directly asking you if I am.

and what I get is

lol lol lol

lol

lol lol

\o/
Dude, you seriously need to calm down. You're basically devolving to straw manning and name calling because someone pointed out that you were wrong

jkanownik

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the hyperspace complaints at all. Do the math on the ship sizes, distance and margin for error using trigonometry. At a large distance a 1 degree variance on your aim in real time and you probably miss completely. You can't use the targeting computer because it isn't setup to track a ship. These are objects at great distances moving in 3D space.If you go into hyperspace without calculating a known destination you probably miss your target and end up killing yourself 99%+ of the time. That is assuming you are at a close enough distance without getting shot and the ship you are aiming at continues to the exact position you expect it to be in when you start your positioning.

So, in summary, that was essentially a "million to one shot." Are people really complaining about including that in a Star Wars movie?

Bobby

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Portland
User warned for: continuous inflammatory, condescending posts towards other users. You can have a discussion with others without devolving into this sort of attitude.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
So, something that stood out to me when watching it on the third time, which I guess I forgot, was exactly the moment the ram happens. We see Phasma say "execute", Holdo getting ready to go, Finn getting ready to be killed, Lightsaber snaps and then the lightspeed ram happens. Amazing editing there.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I don't get the hyperspace complaints at all. Do the math on the ship sizes, distance and margin for error using trigonometry. At a large distance a 1 degree variance on your aim in real time and you probably miss completely. You can't use the targeting computer because it isn't setup to track a ship. These are objects at great distances moving in 3D space.If you go into hyperspace without calculating a known destination you probably miss your target and end up killing yourself 99%+ of the time. That is assuming you are at a close enough distance without getting shot and the ship you are aiming at continues to the exact position you expect it to be in when you start your positioning.

So, in summary, that was essentially a "million to one shot." Are people really complaining about including that in a Star Wars movie?

I really like you are trying to "sciencing" the whole sequence while the movie itself kicks scientific explanation in its nuts, lol.

(for example the main gimmick of the movie--ships running out of fuel and they will get slower!--wouldn't work if the movie obeys Newton's 1st law, hahah)

So, something that stood out to me when watching it on the third time, which I guess I forgot, was exactly the moment the ram happens. We see Phasma say "execute", Holdo getting ready to go, Finn getting ready to be killed, Lightsaber snaps and then the lightspeed ram happens. Amazing editing there.

Hmm well if I am allowed to be "nitpicky" here I suppose one thing that weirded me out somewhat about the whole thing was that once Finn wakes up we see tha hangar being practically empty while before it's obvious it's filled by probably hundreds of Storm Troopers.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
(for example the main gimmick of the movie--ships running out of fuel and they will get slower!--wouldn't work if the movie obeys Newton's 1st law, hahah)
Or, if you'd have payed attention in the rest of physics class, you would remember the concept of frame of reference and that speed is relative. In this case the speed of the fleeing ship would be relative to the ships chasing it and vice versa, rendering this point a non issue.

Hopefully you and anybody else who managed to at least remember Newton's first law didn't also complain about the whole space bombs thing.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty sure the walkers and TIEs for the ground assault still came from the Supremacy since its a mobile shipyard. The kamikaze attack split the ship in half but it has multiple docking bays.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm well if I am allowed to be "nitpicky" here I suppose one thing that weirded me out somewhat about the whole thing was that once Finn wakes up we see tha hangar being practically empty while before it's obvious it's filled by probably hundreds of Storm Troopers.
You can see a couple of dead ones on the floor, tons of holes and shit everywhere. Those dudes got the fuck outta there ASAP.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or, if somebody payed attention in the rest of physics class they would remember the concept of frame of reference and that speed is relative. In this case the speed of the feeing ship would be relative to the ships chasing it and vice versa, rendering this point a non issue.

Hopefully these people who managed to at least remember Newton's first law didn't also complain about the whole space bombs thing.

Ugh, this would have all been so much easier had they just kept with 'bigger ships = faster' with the FO slowly gaining on the resistance and given the supremacy an interdiction field.

And that way Poe's fuckup with delaying the fleet would have been monumental as oppsed to arguably saving the fleet by destroying the Dreadnought before it blew a hole in the durras

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
You can see a couple of dead ones on the floor, tons of holes and shit everywhere. Those dudes got the fuck outta there ASAP.

Hmm well I suppose.

Why we even bringing Newton into a conversation about a movie where Oscar Isaac slaps his cockpit and drifts an X-wing

how is this still a thing we're doing in 2017 after 40 years of Star Wars.

Or, if you'd have payed attention in the rest of physics class, you would remember the concept of frame of reference and that speed is relative. In this case the speed of the fleeing ship would be relative to the ships chasing it and vice versa, rendering this point a non issue.

Hopefully you and anybody else who managed to at least remember Newton's first law didn't also complain about the whole space bombs thing.

Dudes, I am not complaining about it at all, sheesh. I brought it up exactly to point out that it's a silly thing trying to "sciencing" the movie while it's pretty obvious that the movie itself didn't give a fuck about it.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I mean we see smoke coming off a Dreadnought in space. Star Wars gives zero shits about science

prag16

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought just the Supremacy got wrecked! Turns out a bunch of other ships got wrecked too.

Some ships apparently survived!

Either way, here at the bottom of the bucket of scabs that is discussion of The Last Jedi, the scene was pretty fucking cool, and immediately reading it and wondering how it proves everything else in Star Wars utterly wrong still seems like a really weird instinctual reaction to have to an awesome thing happening.

That's not "strawmanning" or name calling and I'm not exci--

--you know what you should know better by now, Seph.
Tell me more about this "bucket of scabs". You heard him folks. The wise Bobby Roberts has determined that discussion isn't allowed unless it totally echoed his own views and opinions. Better pack it up. Especially you Sephzilla. You should know better, for some reason.

I'll continue discussing the issues I had with the film as I see fit. Thanks.

Nov 2, 2017
I'll say it again but they should've thrown in a line (and I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up in future media) about how the First Order dropped their shields in order to divert all power to engines and catch the escape ships fleeing the Raddus, thinking all the threat had been removed. Then BOOM, Holdo makes her maneuver and the bridge staff panic because they know they won't get shields up in time.

Like, we literally have official Star Wars shit out there showing ships splattering against planetary shields and what not, so it seems like as satisfactory of an answer as any.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
You earlier in the thread pointed out that the thread is more fun for you when you're complaining in it. It's not too much of a leap to read your posts as indulging that fun. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

meanwhile I'm posting ascii tie fighters and talking about hangry scab pickers and you guys are reaching for pearls and looking for security.

Nah man, read my previous post again carefully. I said, and I believe that I am correct in this, that without people complaining about the movie this threads wouldn't even get to page 143 (now 147) part 3, lol.

It's precisely because we have people complaining about stuff that we have hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of pages of things to talk about, don't you agree? If we are all in agreement that TLJ is this flawless masterpiece with no flaws with people patting each other's back and just nodded all the way through then things wouldn't be as nearly as fun :P

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You earlier in the thread pointed out that the thread is more fun for you when you're complaining in it. It's not too much of a leap to read your posts as indulging that fun. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

meanwhile I'm posting ascii tie fighters and talking about hangry scab pickers and you guys are reaching for pearls and looking for security.

edit: Jesus fucking Christ looks like at least one of you fuckers found Security.

They do not fear the darkside as you do.

They have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to their new forum.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
uO6VCS8.gif

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Third viewing noticed thingy: When Holdo is turning around, a tech tells Hux that she's turning and Hux is, like, "lol, distraction. focus on the transports".

clamj00ce

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Tell me more about this "bucket of scabs". You heard him folks. The wise Bobby Roberts has determined that discussion isn't allowed unless it totally echoed his own views and opinions. Better pack it up. Especially you Sephzilla. You should know better, for some reason.

I'll continue discussing the issues I had with the film as I see fit. Thanks.
Just put him on ignore i did and it makes everything better. He is one of those people that should be on r/iamverysmart

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to wonder if this whole ignore list feature is a mistake or if it should have a very small cap. It's like what's his name that bragged about instantly ignore listing anyone who posted 'conspiracies' to do with TLJ.

I mean...

I guess Star Wars is some serious shit, as they say.

Third viewing noticed thingy: When Holdo is turning around, a tech tells Hux that she's turning and Hux is, like, "lol, distraction. focus on the transports".

My Memory is foggy how long was Holdo Erving up for hyper space when this happened?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

Yup lol, it's to show how distracted they got. They actively ignored it.

Well to be fair to them it's actually one of the logical things to do, I mean why bother focusing on an empty ship while the important peeps are not there (funnily enough, this is in direct contrast to the very first scene of the movie where they shoot the empty base first instead of Leia's ship which is right in front of them)

They just probably didn't expect Holdo would pull off such maneuver
since they've never been done before in Star Wars universe, :P

My Memory is foggy how long was Holdo Erving up for hyper space when this happened?

Pretty fast actually, in between "oh noes they're killing my buddies" to "fuck youuu First Order KAMIKAZEEEE!"

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well to be fair to them it's actually one of the logical things to do, I mean why bother focusing on an empty ship while the important peeps are not there (funnily enough, this is in direct contrast to the very first scene of the movie where they shoot the empty base first instead of Leia's ship which is right in front of them)

They just probably didn't expect Holdo would pull off such maneuver
since they're never been done before in Star Wars universe, :P

Now now, just because it's true doesn't mean you should say it. you might get put on ignore lists with posts like that. :p

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The Holdo Maneuever kinda makes sense according to old EU rules about how hyperspace works. Hyperspace isn't omnidirectional, you have to follow specific vectors according to established hyperspace lanes -- I believe they copped this off some throwaway line from Han in ANH. The Supremacy had been tailing the Raddus in a straight line, so it was probably in that "lane." If it had moved, Holdo wouldn't have been able to hit it. This is also why the FO can't simply jump ships ahead of the rebel fleet.

I don't know if those rules are still canon, but I suggest all of you find a way to rationalize that moment, because it is too fucking sweet.