• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
tumblr_oa2zfgnG3G1v42jzoo4_250.gif

Hell even worse, first it was Finn, THEN it was Han, then it was Luke, then Ben.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It took until the end of TLJ for Rey to realize she was the hero and not Finn/Han or Luke/Kylo.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The odd slow-motion lightsaber limbo dodge also became weirder when you find out he wasn't in any danger anyway. That's just more odd fight choreography than plot issue though.

actually seeing as how we the audience can tell the exact moment that Luke knows his plan worked and everyone is ultimately going to get out of there the thinking is he had to keep up the facade to kylo because that whole bit is before that moment. once Luke knows his plan worked he has that exchange with Kylo and lets himself get cut.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The odd slow-motion lightsaber limbo dodge also became weirder when you find out he wasn't in any danger anyway. That's just more odd fight choreography than plot issue though.
Wait, how's the weird? He dodged because he wanted Kylo to think he was really there. If he doesn't die, Kylo finds out he's not really there and the jig is up.

[edit]

Like, it actually becomes NOT weird after finding out he isn't really there. At first you might be wondering, "this is odd, why isn't he fighting back" and then it's all made clear by the end. Adding clarity is not odd.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This user was warned for: A series of trolling and disingenuous comments, not done in good faith.
Rey's arc is literally the opposite's of Luke's. He wants to forge his path in ANH, he dreams of a life bigger than what he's known. When Destiny comes a-knocking, he rushes to it.

Rey's more unsure of herself. Growing up alone, she has an understandable desire to find a place where she can belong. Initially, to her, that means waiting for the parents she's convinced herself will come back for her. She continually rejects her fate, and wants to go back home. It's only when she does eventually find that belonging in Finn, and Han, that she embraces her path.

This continues into The Last Jedi, where when initially rejected by Luke, she loses that sense of belonging. She falls back to this idea that her parents are out there, and will be what she needs. She even finds a kindred spirit in Kylo Ren, when he's able to provide the sense of belonging that Luke doesn't give her.

Her weaknesses are that, her uncertainty in herself and her occasionally overly-trusting naïveté.

Aww what likeable "flaws."

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, how's the weird? He dodged because he wanted Kylo to think he was really there. If he doesn't die, Kylo finds out he's not really there and the jig is up.

[edit]

Like, it actually becomes NOT weird after finding out he isn't really there. At first you might be wondering, "this is odd, why isn't he fighting back" and then it's all made clear by the end. Adding clarity is not odd.

Guys - I said it was bad fight choreography. Cheesy as hell. Plot-wise I understand the whole stalling for time etc. thing.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One thing that really bums me out about the new Star Wars movies is how phoned in all the music is.

Nothing from The Last Jedi's score stuck out as memorable to me. In fact, I would actually say that it's pretty bad. The dumb musical stingers and constant reuse of Star Wars music from the original trilogy is lame as hell. Say what you want about the prequel trilogy, but at least the music in those movies was a nice departure from the first three movies. The new trilogy's music simply feels half-hearted. It's just as bad as modern marvel movies and their lackluster scores.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Rey and Kylo's theme are fantastic. I've listened to those over and over and over.

[edit]

March of the Resistance is also great.

The Spark, too.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Considering they started loading the ships in the space of time between Leia coming back and stunning Poe and Poe being woken up already on one of the last freighters, I'm willing to bet they all got notified of what was going on at that time.

You're so keyed into Poe's POV, that you're not accounting for any possible interpretation of the events outside of his. You don't know when the people got on the ships, or what they were told before they got on them. But because Poe didn't know before his mutiny blew up in his face (yet another fucked up plan) you just kinda assume everyone else didn't know either.

They probably knew by the time Holdo had decided they had passed the point of no return and she was going to sacrifice herself to save the (then still hidden) ships as they fled to Crait.

One of the members of the mutiny was Billie Lourd's character, who IIRC is Chief Navigator.

If she doesn't know the details of the mission then who the hell does?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wow that sure is a lot of words.

Would you mind explaining what Rey's flaws are?
Lol is this for real? The film tells you like 20 times, and I think Kylo says it himself at least twice.

He says something like "Your greatest weakness is holding onto the past/searching for your family everywhere. In Han Solo, now in Luke"

And he tells her "You're still holding on.. let go!" at the end of the film.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Not that you're asking in anything remotely resembling good faith with that shit, but for anyone else who might be reading (and since they're reading and aren't apparently bothered by "a lot of words" on a social media platform whose only real benefit is the acceptance of longer responses they probably already know)

She's impulsive
She's hard-headed
She's not very trusting
She's quick to anger
She has abandonment issues (obviously)
She has confidence issues (obviously)

Not very trusting? Wut?

In TFA she basically swallowed the entire idea of Finn being a Resistance fighter wholesale without even questioning him whatsoever, how come that's not "very trusting"? Hahaha.

Heck you might even argue that she's too trusting, especially since she even went on to Snoke's ship deliberately because she's banking on the possibility that Kylo would turn good. Heck Snoke even counted on that naivety of hers.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rey and Kylo's theme are fantastic. I've listened to those over and over and over.

[edit]

March of the Resistance is also great.

The Spark, too.

Rey's theme is good. It's actually one of the few pieces of music that I like from the new movies.

Everything else you listed sounds like Star Wars...and that's pretty much it. It's trying to sound like the old movies without actually feeling original or interesting.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
But this would undermine Luke's earlier sentiments that he can't just show up and face down the entire First Order with his laser sword and "high level." He was being genuine with that statement and gave him somewhat of a leg to stand on for the first half of the movie.

Which is funny since those are things Luke has done.

Luke almost single-handedly destroyed the first Death Star and for all intents and purposes brought down Vader and the Emperor.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
She's not very trusting

Agree with most of your statements and strongly disagree with the contention that Rey is a Mary Sue, but I think you have that backwards. She trusts too much.

Trusts her parents to come back even though deep down she knows they won't.
Trusts that Finn is part of the resistance simply based on his statement.
Trusts that Luke will come back to fight the first order when he consistently says he won't.
Trusts that Kylo will turn to the light despite her actual experience as well as Luke's advice says he won't

Do you have any examples of her NOT being trusting when she should have been?

All the other people in the high command who didn't mutiny, I guess.

Navigator seems like the most important person to inform of the plan.

Do you think a mutiny is ever justified? Or do you think that the movie is trying to teach us to always trust authority?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Rey's arc is literally the opposite's of Luke's. He wants to forge his path in ANH, he dreams of a life bigger than what he's known. When Destiny comes a-knocking, he rushes to it.

Rey's more unsure of herself. Growing up alone, she has an understandable desire to find a place where she can belong. Initially, to her, that means waiting for the parents she's convinced herself will come back for her. She continually rejects her fate, and wants to go back home. It's only when she does eventually find that belonging in Finn, and Han, that she embraces her path.

This continues into The Last Jedi, where when initially rejected by Luke, she loses that sense of belonging. She falls back to this idea that her parents are out there, and will be what she needs. She even finds a kindred spirit in Kylo Ren, when he's able to provide the sense of belonging that Luke doesn't give her.

Her weaknesses are that, her uncertainty in herself and her occasionally overly-trusting naïveté.

No. Luke wants to go with Obi-Wan but refuses the call to adventure just like Rey because his uncle and aunt need him. He only goes when he sees they were killed by stormtroopers.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
She doesn't trust herself very much, for one. She doesn't trust in what people tell her. She's willing to believe what's expedient in order for her to put her head back in the sand and buy into the bullshit idea that she's not important.

When people tell her hard truths she doesn't want to listen to them. She doesn't trust in what they're telling her. She doesn't want to get close.

That's how I read it. It's a flaw a lot of people have. It's certainly not insurmountable. But it's a problem, absolutely.

I am trying to recall scenes that makes you think this about her, can you elaborate? Probably the one where she ran away from Maz in TFA?

If anything she's just wayyy too trusting to people, a flat out naive, which I can safely say that the movies even made a point several times in many important scenes (Finn deciding to tell her that he's not a Resistance fighter, Snoke gleefully pointing out how naive she was believing Kylo would turn good, etc etc)

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
When have we ever seen Luke do that though? His Force abilities in the OT is particularly unimpressive, so you'd have to make a huge logic jump to get people to believe that he can freeze blasts. Whereas, Force projection makes sense given his philosophy with the Force and how it's used, as opposed to be an offensive weapon.

Not really. This is over 3 decades later and his grandfather is literally a deity.

Luke actually took down an AT AT by himself back in ESB.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, if there was an ounce of good faith in you this might be a neat little gotcha but as it is it's just cheap.

That two different people identify in her opposing flaws doesn't PROVE your argument, because you're trying to suggest she doesn't have any at all.

But again: it's not like your stance is hard to understand. It's because of that understanding that I can really easily disagree with it.

No it doesn't prove anything. I find her faults kind of hard to see and two people telling me what those faults are yet being total opposite kind of leans in my favor a bit I guess.

You both agree with confidence. I guess? But she seems to quickly embolden whenever needed. That's also a bit at odds with being "hard headed" no?

Abandonment issues, sure.

Also can you clarify what my stance is? Is this more of you fishing for sexism or is it something else I'm not hip to?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You guys think it's kinda fucked the main Porg doesn't have a name? Is Rey just going to call it 'Porg'? Is she just going to keep ignoring the fact that there's a fucking Porg in the Falcon?