• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
I think Maz telling Rey that what she was looking for was ahead of her (in the Resistance) and not behind her tells me everything I need to know about JJ's intentions regarding Rey's lineage.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he say in the interrogation so your the girl I have heard so much about..........From what just that one conversation with the guy telling him his plan went to shit?
No, he doesn't.

I'm not sure how you can watch that scene and think Kylo Ren knows who she is. It's like when people thought maybe Han was her dad but in the whole movie he never acts like he knows her at all.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I distinctly remember JJ downplaying the importance of Rey's parents constantly in interviews around the time TFA came out.

I think JJ made her parents seem WAY more mysterious than he intended to.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this made me laugh. This is the best post of the day.

Sorry all Ill get off my soapbox.
I honestly find it a bit fascinating just how differently you interpreted so much of these two films compared to the way I did. That Maz conversation clearly points, to me, that Luke can't be her father and Han clearly has no idea who she is, so she can't be her kid. That really only leaves her having a connection to Obi-Wan but we knew he just spend all his time chilling out on Tatooine, so he have to assume he had a secret kid at some point during that, which would be pretty silly.

Then there's the Luke stuff where TFA clearly, at least to me, told us that Luke had self exiled himself after what happened with Kylo and then the trailer told us he was so shook after that that he thought the Jedi should end. Luke's portrayal only surprised me in that they didn't pussy out and her Rey completely change his mind off the bat, which I thought was likely. I was happy when they didn't just brush everything that happened to him under the rug right off the bat and it actually had an affect on him and it was entire character arc.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I always thought Kylo knew more information about Rey than was let on in TFA. The possibility was clearly left open but it turns out RJ didn't think it would enhance the story.

There was a lot left open in TFA, and now people are conveniently explaining things away post TLJ confirmations.

JJ purposely set the movie up this way (yes, even Rey's parentage). There was plenty of evidence that she could be a Skywalker (or even another lineage) before TLJ.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
I distinctly remember JJ downplaying the importance of Rey's parents constantly in interviews around the time TFA came out.

I think JJ made her parents seem WAY more mysterious than he intended to.

That's kinda JJ's schtick though. He relies more on the mystery itself and not so much what's actually inside the box. And what's in the box?

NOTHING!

(That's a UHF reference for the 99.5% of ERA who have never seen it)

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it comes form the potential of a really intriguing story to be there. I thought TFA gave me 2. 5 hours of it being very important, and a big mystery. I was then told over and over that she is no one, and it really doesn't matter because dark rose, and light rose to meet it.

Its been difficult for me to digest that someone who is so gifted, and raw in her power is known by Snoke, and Kylo before they ever met her; is just some no body born to no ones. Its a cop out. And it strikes me as either a Kennedy directive to move towards the "we all have the force" we all can be heros.Everyone you , you and you! objective, or Rian trying to be too cute for his own good.

I don't want to make anyone mad in this thread, I want to be as respectful as possible, since this is the OT thread. I got a little heated din other TLJ threads, the above is just my belief.

Honestly, I don't have any problem with your opinions about the film itself. Different people like different things. However, you constant insistence on assigning dubious motivations on creative deciders who don't share your opinion makes you sound really arrogant.

This is how you come off, whether you intend it or not:
"If only Kennedy was not driven by some metacontextual agenda, and if only Rian was more humble, then they would move things forward my way because that's the only explanation why other people would ever stray from my obvious best way for everybody."

I think it's best if we all just judge works by its end results rather than speculate on real people we know nothing about.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I find it interesting how much Liquid loves TFA, a film produced just as much by KK as TLJ, but in TLJ she somehow became sinister. Her sinisterness was as much present in TFA and Rogue One as it was in TLJ.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone read Simon Pegg recent comments?
If you are going to try and spin this as JJ wasn't going to have her be nobody....don't even think about trying it lol.

Daisy Ridley said who her parents were did not change with TLJ. That she knew from JJ and it was the same in TLJ.

"Unlike almost everyone else in the world, Ridley has known for years who Rey's parents are, since Abrams told her on the set of The Force Awakens. Ridley believes that nothing ever changed: "I thought what I was told in the beginning is what it is."

I find it interesting how much Liquid loves TFA, a film produced just as much by KK as TLJ, but in TLJ she somehow became sinister. Her sinisterness was as much present in TFA and Rogue One as it was in TLJ.
He also likes to ignore the fact Rian Johnson said he got no studio notes, that Kathy never once told him what to do story wise or what he can or cannot do.

Liquid goes from "It's all Rian Johnson's fault!" to "Kathy Kennedy had an agenda" somehow when its impossible to be both at the same time. *shrug*.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
If you are going to try and spin this as JJ wasn't going to have her be nobody....don't even think about trying it lol.

Daisy Ridley said who her parents were did not change with TLJ. That she knew from JJ and it was the same in TLJ.

"Unlike almost everyone else in the world, Ridley has known for years who Rey's parents are, since Abrams told her on the set of The Force Awakens. Ridley believes that nothing ever changed: "I thought what I was told in the beginning is what it is."

He also likes to ignore the fact Rian Johnson said he got no studio notes, that Kathy never once told him what to do story wise or what he can or cannot do.

Liquid goes from "It's all Rian Johnson's fault!" to "Kathy Kennedy had an agenda" somehow when its impossible to be both at the same time. *shrug*.
Ok, I give up.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pop culture as a whole is moving away from the "biological chosen one" narrative and towards a more egalitarian type of story where anyone can potentially be a hero, regardless of their parentage or circumstances of their birth. The idea that a hero must justify their power through their ancestry is increasingly troubling from a narrative and moral point of view. It shouldn't be surprising that Star Wars is moving in this direction, just as other media is.

Nobody should care who your parents or grandparents were. What matters is who you are, what you stand for, and what you choose to do in your life. That's what defines a hero. As Dumbledore once said, "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, it's fine to dislike a movie but your theories about RJ or KK having nefarious goals or any sort of agendas...are just factually false. It's like peddling theories about the Earth being flat in an Science OT.

You are going to get fact checked pretty quickly lol, not like the wild west of the TLJ threads.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
YOU SOOO STUPID!

God, I love that movie.

OrCQ5CF.gif

200.gif

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Collider s take on Peggs comments are interesting and ring true to me. Go watch it it's 5 min, and they make great points.

Theylen

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
Daisy Ridley made the comments about being clear on her parentage before TLJ even started shooting. I don't think her comments can be taken for evidence of the "they're nobodies". There's much stronger evidence for it than vague Daisy Ridley statements. Also, I disagree that Rey "needs" to be a nobody. It was a fun question going into TLJ, and it matters to Rey, but it doesn't matter to the arc at all if she's nobody/kenobi/a reincarnation of darth bane

ok maybe that last one would matter

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Why has no one done this to the Reylo scene?
WCWeZCo.gif

Yes, I just called it the Reylo scene. Wanna 1v1, punk?

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
These comments from JJ on his idea of the Force before TFA was released are interesting as well.
I'm not someone who quite understands the science of the Force. To me Star Wars was never about science fiction — it was a spiritual story. And it was more of a fairytale in that regard. For me when I heard Obi-Wan say that the Force surrounds us and binds us all together, there was no judgement about who you were. This was something that we could all access. Being strong with the force didn't mean something scientific, it meant something spiritual. It meant someone who could believe, someone who could reach down to the depths of your feelings and follow this primal energy that was flowing through all of us. I mean, thats what was said in that first film!
And there I am sitting in the theater at almost 11 years old and that was a powerful notion. And I think this is what your point was, we would like to believe that when shit gets serious, that you could harness that Force I was told surrounds not just some of us but every living thing. And so, I really feel like the assumption that any character needs to have inherited a certain number of midi-chlorians or needs to be part of a bloodline, it's not that I don't believe that as part of the canon, I'm just saying that at 11 years old, that wasn't where my heart was. And so I respect and adhere to the canon but I also say that the Force has always seemed to me to be more inclusive and stronger than that.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Collider s take on Peggs comments are interesting and ring true to me. Go watch it it's 5 min, and they make great points.
giphy.gif

Why would you think anyone here would think a video making nonsense attacks against Kathleen Kennedy and accuse her of forcing an agenda (none of which are true) would be something anyone here would find as "great points"? lol

I watched it, they did not make a single good point and came across like embarrasing idiots. They are bullshit and have no idea what they are talking about. Remember when they insisted their sources said Snoke was Plagueis?

They launched awful nonsense attacks against Kathleen Kennedy's "agenda". That level of pure false trash has no place here man, come on. Daisy Ridley also shot their "theory" down as people have shown you earlier this page.

This is the one Star Wars thread without made up fake narratives attacking Kennedy and spreading blatantly false information. I really hope we can stay that way, these Collider hit jobs on Kennedy's "agenda" and spreading "news" we know isn't true is stuff for the Off Topic side who don't follow the franchise closely enough to know when something sets off the bullshit detectors.

No informed Star Wars fan would fall for their bullshit they are spewing in that video, this aint the Off Topic side man lol. Again, it's fine to not like TLJ but peddling nonsense about KK or RJ's so-called agenda that does not match the facts of the production has no place in any sort of sane discussion of this franchise.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly agree with the points they are making,(that there should be cohesion and not just letting whoever do whatever they want)

And you can argue that she is great at her job and the movies are a massive success,
however as is she had massive issues on 2 of 4 movies, though that won't really matter until we see how well Solo performs.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly agree with the points they are making,(that there should be cohesion and not just letting whoever do whatever they want).
That is reasonable, but different than what the video is pushing. They are insisting KK had an agenda to make Rey a nobody. We know for a fact KK had no "agenda" of such and let Rian Johnson do the film he wanted to make.

And we know Rey being a nobody was what JJ had in mind for her as well, as per Daisy Ridley.

No need to listen to a video thar directly contradicts on the record statements from Daisy and Rian.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Why would you think anyone here would think a video making nonsense attacks against Kathleen Kennedy and accuse her of forcing an agenda (none of which are true) would be something anyone here would find as "great points"? lol

I watched it, they did not make a single good point and came across like embarrasing idiots. They are bullshit and have no idea what they are talking about. Remember when they insisted their sources said Snoke was Plagueis?

They launched awful nonsense attacks against Kathleen Kennedy's "agenda". That level of pure false trash has no place here man, come on. Daisy Ridley also shot their "theory" down as people have shown you earlier this page.

This is the one Star Wars thread without made up fake narratives attacking Kennedy and spreading blatantly false information. I really hope we can stay that way, these Collider hit jobs on Kennedy's "agenda" and spreading "news" we know isn't true is stuff for the Off Topic side who don't follow the franchise closely enough to know when something sets off the bullshit detectors.

No informed Star Wars fan would fall for their bullshit they are spewing in that video, this aint the Off Topic side man lol. Again, it's fine to not like TLJ but peddling nonsense about KK or RJ's so-called agenda that does not match the facts of the production has no place in any sort of sane discussion of this franchise.
giphy.gif

landscape-1474625910-star-wars-bb-8-thumbs-up-gif.gif

Theylen

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
Collider is bullshit and no one respects them

straw man is so fun

I personally like Collider's takes on stuff, especially since they include Star Wars fans from varying levels of fandom. A lot of people respect them. What I don't have respect for are the elitist outlets that try to trash them for their success

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Their point that the new trilogy lacks cohesion is 100% valid, and I LOVE the Last Jedi. Daisy Ridley has not "shot down" their theory AT ALL, as people have shown you earlier in this conversation. There are a lot of informed Star Wars fans that enjoy getting their take, and I don't think your star wars fandom gatekeeping is helping anyone.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
straw man is so fun

I personally like Collider's takes on stuff, especially since they include Star Wars fans from varying levels of fandom. A lot of people respect them. What I don't have respect for are the elitist outlets that try to trash them for their success

Their point that the new trilogy lacks cohesion is 100% valid, and I LOVE the Last Jedi. Daisy Ridley has not "shot down" their theory AT ALL, as people have shown you earlier in this conversation. There are a lot of informed Star Wars fans that enjoy getting their take, and I don't think your star wars fandom gatekeeping is helping anyone.
1. Yes she has, she said she knew who Rey's parents were while making TFA and it hasn't changed. She mentioned the same in a Rolling Stone interview as well.

2. No one is attacking their point about cohesion. People are rightfully trashing their claim that Kathleen Kennedy had an "agenda" to force Rey to be a nobody. Which is an ABSURD claim. One that has been dispelled multiple times by people in the production.

Also why should we respect them? They insisted up and down leading up to the release of TFA that MakigStarWars were liars and their spoilers were wrong, that they had multiple sources confirm the baddie is Plagueis. They were dead wrong...about everything.

The anti-Kathleen Kennedy angle of her pushing an agenda is factually false and toxic to the fandom, it has no place in Star Wars fandom and Collider pushes that debunked myth in that video. Debunked conspiracy theories have no place in this thread, at all.

You want to listen to people who don't make up false conspiracy theories discuss Star Wars? You have endless options. Blast Points Podcast, Steele Wars, Now This Is Podcasting, Cantina Cast, Coffee with Kenobi, Full of Sith, Star Wars Explained's channel on youtube, etc. Collider is spreading a debunked toxic story about Kathleen Kennedy that doesn't have one ounce of truth to it. And they have been spreading endless debunked bullshit stories for years ever since they started their Jedi Council stuff.

A lot of people respect Fox News and Breitbart too, doesn't mean they are worthy of it. Collider has a long time history of spreading false information and toxic nonsense about Kathleen Kennedy, there are plenty of receipts to back that up if needed.

Last edited:

Theylen

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
1. Yes she has, she said she knew who Rey's parents were while making TFA and it hasn't changed. She mentioned the same in a Rolling Stone interview as well.

2. No one is attacking their point about cohesion. People are rightfully trashing their claim that Kathleen Kennedy had an "agenda" to force Rey to be a nobody. Which is an ABSURD claim. One that has been dispelled multiple times by people in the production.

Also why should we respect them? They insisted up and down leading up to the release of TFA that MakigStarWars were liars and their spoilers were wrong, that they had multiple sources confirm the baddie is Plagueis. They were dead wrong...about everything.

The anti-Kathleen Kennedy angle of her pushing an agenda is factually false and toxic to the fandom, it has no place in Star Wars fandom and Collider pushes that debunked myth in that video. Debunked conspiracy theories have no place in this thread, at all.

You want to listen to people who don't make up false conspiracy theories discuss Star Wars? You have endless options. Blast Points Podcast, Steele Wars, Now This Is Podcasting, Cantina Cast, Coffee with Kenobi, Full of Sith, Star Wars Explained's channel on youtube, etc. Collider is spreading a debunked toxic story about Kathleen Kennedy that doesn't have one ounce of truth to it. And they have been spreading endless debunked bullshit stories for years ever since they started their Jedi Council stuff.

A lot of people respect Fox News and Breitbart too, doesn't mean they are worthy of it. Collider has a long time history of spreading false information and toxic nonsense about Kathleen Kennedy, there are plenty of receipts to back that up if needed.

Just because they made mistakes in the past does not mean they cannot/have not learn/learned from them. They're a decent place to get some different opinions on the Star Wars realm, and they are clear on what their opinions are vs what is factual. Even in that video, Harloff is clear that what he's saying about Kathleen Kennedy is his opinion. He's been clear on that all along. Editorials, so to speak, are totally fine and not spreading a "false narrative", especially because what he's saying about Kathleen is not demonstrably false. It's his take on the situation and that's fine. I personally agree that it would be cool to have a creative director like Dave Filoni to ensure cohesion across some projects but I don't agree that Kathleen Kennedy is as "uninformed" as he seems to think she is.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Multiple attempts at inflaming and derailing Star Wars threads with drive-by posts.
I like how when Siomon Pegg says something, the response is hes an idiot, and no one listens to him.
Collider has a discussion, and then its said they are stupid, and no one listens to them, they are not credible.

The reactions are very interesting here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I like how when Siomon Pegg says something, the response is hes an idiot, and no one listens to him.
Collider has a discussion, and then its said they are stupid, and no one listens to them, they are not credible.

The reactions are very interesting here.
That's because Collider is talking out of their ass. They didn't do any homework and spread incorrect info. They said JJ and RJ didn't collaborate; this is wrong. They also think they never discussed Rey or what happens to her; this is wrong. Proof (Slashfilm interview with KK and JJ):

SF: Kennedy says that Rian came in "very early and he read, and came and visited the set," but how involved was Rian in The Force Awakens?

KK: J.J. and him had a lot of conversations.

JJ: When Rian who I admire enormously and adore, came on board, we met and talked with him about all the things we were working on and playing with, and he as a spectacular writer and director has taken those things and has written an AMAZING script that I think will be an incredible next chapter, some of which incorporating things we were thinking of and other things are things we could never of dreamed of.

SF: Does Rian Johnson read the Force Awakens script and give notes, suggesting changes or additions for things he maybe wants to seed early for his film? Abrams says the process was somewhat collaborative:

JJ: There were a handful of things we talked about that were going to be helpful to him. Some were very easy to do, and some things were things that I didn't want to do for other reasons, but I tried to be as accommodating as I could. And its so cool to see what happens next in a way that only someone as talented as Rian could do.

This narrative of "they didn't collaborate and only discussed minor changes, such as swapping BB-8 with R2" is pure bullshit that follows no factual basis.

I suggest you read up instead of spreading misinformation. You've done this in multiple threads with multiple SW subjects and it's needlessly exhausting.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think most here will agree crackpot anti KK theories have no place here, there are 10474848 off topic threads for that nonsense.

I suggest you read up instead of spreading misinformation. You've done this in multiple threads with multiple SW subjects and it's needlessly exhausting.
I have no idea why he is trying to push his negatively in this thread all of a sudden, this place was the drama free fun SW discussion away from the nonsense in the off topic threads. Generally you know fun informed optimistic Star Wars discussion.

It is beyond exhauting to have this false narrative nonsense of negatively being thrown at this thread too.

Its frustrating to have to spend time fact checking here, that is what makes the Off topic threads so exhausting and this community relaxing. Come on liquid, it's not fair to try to drag us into the mud with your negative anti-KK/RJ theories in the community thread.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I didn't even get around to the KK part either. There's no evidence to suggest she's got some secret or sinister agenda. Every interview I've seen with her and other folks leads me to believe she's actually a great choice for the position she's in. She allows for a ton of creative freedom, as long as what you're doing is of high quality.

People got up in arms about L&M being canned but it sounds like there were valid reasons for why they were let go.

Status
Not open for further replies.