• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hoos30

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome episode! So glad they extended the first half of the season. Ending on last week would have been shit.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
This episode really benefits from the cast all being established now. It feels much more like an ensemble show compared to the start, and has more of the small debates and interactions between cast members that have long been an aspect of Trek.

Also, funny we had this whole debate about Trek battles when this was basically a modern iteration of such with two starships duking it out in orbit of a planet in a one on one fight. It's just for once we get to see a fight between relative equals actually play out, rather than a standoff or the Enterprise being completely outgunned.

Other points: That cut from the sensor to Saru was real neat.
I like how they worked out an in-universe reason to let the Klingon actors speak in English.
Lot of classic sounds and props in this episode - I spotted the disruptor pistol!
This episode does a lot for Lorca - showing that while his methods are questionable, he is (at least to some degree) dedicated to what the Federation stands for. But it also does some stuff for Kol, I think. He comes off as something of a warrior poet, self-aware of his desire for power, and yet, Klingon - he cannot turn down the satisfaction of the challenge.
Background audio (Burnham on the way to Tyler's room) mentioned a 'Cadet Decker'. Guess Willard's first assignment was Discovery.

Toxa

Oct 28, 2017
User was warned for this post: Drive-by post with the intention of provocation
worst star trek tv show ever can't wait for the cancellation

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
Explosive episode. Very kewl.

My interperatation was that

They time-travelled. Hadn't considered the mirror universe possibility

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The theories about already being in a alternate universe conflict with the creators stating it is Prime. Even though it's shitting on Prime canon anyway.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Saru saying 'I don't know where we are' suggests that the ship has travelled to uncharted space, but the Klingon wreckage suggests it's not extremely far away. Mirror universe stuff tends to be 'I know where we are but things aren't right'. Of course they could have gone to a mirror universe and uncharted space.

I thought Tyler's flashbacks were clearly him reliving the surgery that makes him appear human. Maybe that wouldn't have occurred to me if I hadn't seen the theory that Tyler is Voq though. It explains why L'Rell was so into fucking him. There's some Manchurian Candidate shenanigans coming up, mark my words.

It would mean the Klingons have the technology to alter organisms at the genetic level, otherwise one trip to sick bay would reveal the truth. Maybe something similar to the procedure that caused the Klingon augment virus?

How does Ash have detailed memories of a human life though?

Edit: just occurred to me. Wasn't there an episode where a human was completely changed into a Romulan? I can't remember which episode or even which Star Trek (maybe DS9?). So maybe the Klingons have some help.

Edit 2: wait I'm thinking of Seska, and that was the Cardassians.

Edit 3: wait Troi was disguised as a Romulan but that was only cosmetic surgery.

Last edited:

Peridot

Oct 26, 2017
Explosive episode. Very kewl.

My interperatation was that

They time-travelled. Hadn't considered the mirror universe possibility
That's my guess as well. For some reason the scene where Stamets calls Tilly "captain" keeps coming back to me. My interpretation was that he could somehow see into the future (maybe through those pocket of void space?).

But yeah, I want it to be time travel more than mirror, only because of the cameo possibilities.

AnimeFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So far pretty strong showing from Discovery, much better than I had figured.

Lorca is a boss. Though did anyone catch he changed the jump coordinates from Starbase 47 to "Unknown" while they quickly panned to his panel on the bridge. Dude is up to something awesome.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
The theories about already being in a alternate universe conflict with the creators stating it is Prime. Even though it's shitting on Prime canon anyway.

well they'll probably try to distance Discovery away from Prime as far as possible, storywise. I'm still going for a lame Voyager-esque thing but with a twist, as in, "very far away from home and they'll never get home either because we should've known" trope.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Up to Episode 7 and it was the best episode since the premiere at least. Really like Dwight as Mudd and the resolution felt like TOS.

Season has been kind of uneven, dialogue is often painful and I'm really liking Michael less and less. Lorca is my favorite character. I'd be happy if he remained as Captain for future seasons. I'm really not interested in seeing Michael becoming a captain at all anymore.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic couple of episodes to end this half of the season. Been loving this show from the start, and it's improving more and more. I'm not beholden to Trek lore so don't mind the changes that have come through, especially as they seem to have been made to serve the story they want to tell rather than just for the sake of it. Really interested to see where this show goes from here.

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it possible they were already from the "alternate" universe/timeline, and then at the end of this episode they jumped into the "Prime/canon" timeline?

Mario's Nipples

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
France
We already know the lieutenant has seen the mirror dimension, as seen at the end of one of the episodes. Lorca's talk and display of the alternate dimensions, coupled with Stamets seeing the mirror world, has me believe that Stamets has somehow seeped into the mirror dimension by using the spire drive technology, and taking the ship and crew with him.

My take.

Oct 25, 2017
Saru saying 'I don't know where we are' suggests that the ship has travelled to uncharted space, but the Klingon wreckage suggests it's not extremely far away. Mirror universe stuff tends to be 'I know where we are but things aren't right'. Of course they could have gone to a mirror universe and uncharted space.

I thought Tyler's flashbacks were clearly him reliving the surgery that makes him appear human. Maybe that wouldn't have occurred to me if I hadn't seen the theory that Tyler is Voq though. It explains why L'Rell was so into fucking him. There's some Manchurian Candidate shenanigans coming up, mark my words.

It would mean the Klingons have the technology to alter organisms at the genetic level, otherwise one trip to sick bay would reveal the truth. Maybe something similar to the procedure that caused the Klingon augment virus?

How does Ash have detailed memories of a human life though?

Edit: just occurred to me. Wasn't there an episode where a human was completely changed into a Romulan? I can't remember which episode or even which Star Trek (maybe DS9?). So maybe the Klingons have some help.

Edit 2: wait I'm thinking of Seska, and that was the Cardassians.

Edit 3: wait Troi was disguised as a Romulan but that was only cosmetic surgery.

Gul Dukat gets cosmetically turned into a Bajoran in the last arc of DS9, you may be thinking of Tasha Yar's alternate reality Romulan kid

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
H94lCvX.gif

Me during that scene

giphy.gif

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible they were already from the "alternate" universe/timeline, and then at the end of this episode they jumped into the "Prime/canon" timeline?

Either this or they are going with the voyager route being lost in uncharted space/different dimension. Them coming into the prime universe would definitely be a very fresh idea though. I feel it might be a mixture of both.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I think they have either now gone to the mirror universe (and for Lorca, it might be that he's gone back to the mirror universe) or possibly that they have been in the mirror universe, and they've now gone back to the regular universe.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think they have either now gone to the mirror universe (and for Lorca, it might be that he's gone back to the mirror universe) or possibly that they have been in the mirror universe, and they've now gone back to the regular universe.

That is a very specific thing in the Star Trek canon. Much more likely to be an alternate.

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the jump event is what causes the deviation in the parallel universes that creates the mirror universes. Prime timeline has the cloak technology that wins the war. Mirror Universe doesn't and they lose the war because Discovery jumped from Mirror to Prime

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
That is a very specific thing in the Star Trek canon. Much more likely to be an alternate.
I think plenty lines up with mirror stuff. They even specifically referenced mirror shenanigans with Stamet's reflection thing. Lorca's actions kind of make him feel like a mirror version of a more traditional Starfleet captain.

The mirror universe could indeed just be one of many alternate universes, but I do think they are going to specifically tie it into that (even if it's done in a subtle way).

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has this Klingon war previously been established in Prime continuity? I feel like if there had ever been an existential war with the Klingons just a decade prior to TOS I would have heard about it I.e. is this a retcon?

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
Was it just me, or did Saru's actor not have his contacts in while Lorca was giving his speech? His eyes looked dark there, not bright blue.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that was a fantastic mid season finale. Could easily been S1 finale material.

I actually got a tad emotional on a couple occasions.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the jump event is what causes the deviation in the parallel universes that creates the mirror universes. Prime timeline has the cloak technology that wins the war. Mirror Universe doesn't and they lose the war because Discovery jumped from Mirror to Prime

Can't be

The Mirror universe has always existed, as we've seen as far back as when Cochrane killed all those Vulcans during first contact, in Enterprise

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you all for the kind words. Means a lot. Boey and Erika killed it with this episode and Chris did such an amazing job (he's actually our producing director now for Gods s2). So excited for everything to start to come together for everyone.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I think in terms of directing, this episode was the best one yet. Really great shots, interesting transitions, and just overall very visually exciting. The show in general looks great, but this one took advantage of looking great to elevate a ton of scenes. I hate to make lame comparisons (okay that's a lie, I love making lame comparisons), but this feels to me like the Hatch episode of Discovery. It's the first time they really lay out all the breadcrumbs clearly, show the rabbit hole itself, and give the audience a taste of what the series is really going to be about.

Peridot

Oct 26, 2017
When Lorca talked to Stamets about the medal, there is a very wide shot at the beginning with both of them standing there looking at the sun. That was a really nice shot.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that was a fantastic mid season finale. Could easily been S1 finale material.

I actually got a tad emotional on a couple occasions.

The whole thing with Stamets and the doctor was a tearjerker, because the viewer (and perhaps even Stamets) knew what would happen.

AkuMifune

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When Lorca talked to Stamets about the medal, there is a very wide shot at the beginning with both of them standing there looking at the sun. That was a really nice shot.
Reminded me a bit of the illusive man's office.

There were times this season I wasn't sure if I liked where they were going, but it all came together nicely. Looking forward to more!

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Amiral's "medal" was a one-way ticket to court-martial. Lorca knew this and he fumbled with the coordinates, thereby scrambling Stamets's navigation (and his brain).

He wants to keep fighting, now that Cornwell is back he knows that once he docks it's game over for him.

Last edited:

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Thank you all for the kind words. Means a lot. Boey and Erika killed it with this episode and Chris did such an amazing job (he's actually our producing director now for Gods s2). So excited for everything to start to come together for everyone.

American Gods and Star Trek: Discovery are two of my favorite current airing shows right now.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017

I was expecting the captain to stab or shoot Stamets in that scene tbh.

Regarding Ash:

it totally looked like they opened up his skull right? With the instruments shown and such.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Good mid-season finale episode. First episode they actually gave some character to the security chief to flesh him out. I hadn't care for him up to this point because he just seemed too perfect with no depth.

Some thoughts 9 episodes in.

The look of this show is just amazing to me. This comes after watching a shit-load of enterprise in the last month and the orville. I don't say this to shit on those two shows because both of those shows use traditional TV style camera-work and cinematography. But Discovery just makes them look amateurish and old. The way the camera moves. The way they set up shots. It looks like a film. It often looks better than stuff that was in the last 3 star trek films. Not always. But sometimes. That's hella impressive for a TV show.

I think the tone is super dead on. It feels like a new breed of Trek. It feels modern. It feels progressive. It feels like its of its current age. It doesn't just feel like homage to old trek even though there is plenty of connections to the trek of the past.

As far as plotting I think its just been average. I would have liked some more twists or some more tricky stuff happening. I don't know that there has been a truly great episode yet. There have been plenty of good episodes. And for a first season of a Trek show, its been especially competent in that regard compared to the other shows. Hopefully it keeps growing like trek shows tend to do and really finds itself. I will say the serial nature of the show has worked and it hasn't been as narrow as I feared a serial Trek show would be.

I hope they continue to explore the crew and give other members time to shine. Lorca and Burnham, and Stamets are the core 3 characters so far and all of them are good but I want them to give more time for lesser members to shine also. I want to get to know the bridge crew for example outside of battle scenes.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
"These pattern simulators will hide our human life-signs" was such a cingey line of dialogue, really took me out of the moment. It was obviously stated directly at the viewer rather than anyone in the room, it didn't even come across as thinking out loud.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I think this episode was really solid and I'm glad they changed the break so it starts after this one. It was cliffhanger-y without being agonizing.

I won't post much more as I'm still digesting all that's gone down. I will say though, I hope the popular theories regarding Lorca and Ash turn out wrong. People have been calling some version of both since we met those characters. If the writers can throw everyone off and offer up something interesting, I'd enjoy that much more. This is especially true for Lorca in my mind.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
"These pattern simulators will hide our human life-signs" was such a cingey line of dialogue, really took me out of the moment. It was obviously stated directly at the viewer rather than anyone in the room, it didn't even come across as thinking out loud.

Yeah there is definitely some cringe worthy dialogue geared towards those who have never seen a sci-fi show before or don't have much common sense. I hope they improve on this in season 2.

I think this episode was really solid and I'm glad they changed the break so it starts after this one. It was cliffhanger-y without being agonizing.

I won't post much more as I'm still digesting all that's gone down. I will say though, I hope the popular theories regarding Lorca and Ash turn out wrong. People have been calling some version of both since we met those characters. If the writers can throw everyone off and offer up something interesting, I'd enjoy that much more. This is especially true for Lorca in my mind.

Yeah I myself am hoping for a twist that is better then the ones the internet has concluded pretty much as soon as these characters were introduced. Both of these could be red herrings to throw people off the trail of what is really going on. Either way we have only six more episodes left for season one and then I assume we will get answers to these questions. I also am hoping that a 4K UHD set is planned for Star Trek: Discovery so I can give them even more monies! lol