• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. "Competent" Michael. Overloaded with admirable traits and qualities, the only well rounded individual on the show, while every other character exists solely to reflect on her to make her look good.

Vulcan logic, Vulcan combat training, smarter than the local engineer genius, convenient action hero that single handedly saves an away team like Ellen Ripley, the most empathetic toward the same space monster because she's the only person around doing what all of Starfleet has been doing in all other series, Spock's sister, Georgiou's adopted daughter figure because she's just *that* excellent at being a first officer, the best of both worlds all around... at least until she irrationally gets emotional at the most inconvenient time, and opts to mutiny and trigger drama rather than explain herself.

This is like watching one long, poorly written Wesley Crusher episode; one where all the adults are assholes and don't listen to him, and his only friend is first-season dumbass Commander Data.

She's a rubber mask and a few over-the-top antagonists away from being a part of the Arrowverse canon.

What show are you watching?

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Oh god, how did "Mary Sue" end up in here?

Oh yeah, it's because there are women in the show.

Unbelievably competent/lucky male characters or protagonist are "badly written" or "simply, they're the heroes", but women get that special "Mary Sue" term.

And no, Michael isn't a Mary Sue. The whole point of her character is about someone who has potential but screwed up and has yet more to learn. I really liked this latest episode precisely because of this. She did learn a lot about herself and about being a member of the crew.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a backlash to them even casting a woman as the lead before anything else was even put on paper, so the "mary sue" bullshit is no surprise. Whatever half-baked thing they can throw out there that they overheard some douchebag (Hi Max Landis) say one time about another female-lead.

I really enjoyed the episode. The party was a bit weird but honestly the "casual life" has never come across well in Star Trek. Not TOS up to the Kelvin stuff. That's the cost of world building but trying not to be too "weird" and stay grounded, I guess. The time-loop stuff was fun and I'm really enjoying how the focus and POV of characters can shift while keeping Michael pretty prominent.

Last edited:

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
User was warned: inflammatory language, insults/rudeness towards other posters
Everybody offended by the gender implications of the term Mary Sue are dismissing the main point, as if being female has anything to do with the criticisms. Should we use Gary Stu instead? Really, who gives a shit if it's a man or woman? I know I don't, but I do know that since she's a woman, and since watching this garbage unfold is like reading some poorly-written YA power fantasy, Mary Sue seems to fit. Boo fucking hoo if that makes you go to red alert and raise your shields.

This show legit gets dumber than a bag of hammers far too often. We're 7 hours into it and less than a handful of characters even matter. The protagonist could be a transgendered alien sock puppet, and it wouldn't matter. She's the main one rolling out the sudden epiphanies and solutions to overcome all the manufactured drama that happens here.

If I was really trolling I'd be rolling out this kind of nonsense: "Here Mike, hold my beer, I need to go total Leeroy Jenkins on the invulnerable space monster that shredded a platoon of Klingons in front of us last week. REEEE!" - *DING!* Attention: The senior staff position of Chief of Security is now available. Suicidal Cylons need not apply. Klingon spies preferred.

But, I'm not trolling. I'm a fan of the franchise and watching this train wreck is fucking painful.

This is Star Trash. Nemesis tier Action-Trek, shoehorned into a long TV series, sprinkled with nostalgic cues and throwbacks to the better shows.

Disco sucks, and CBS would have been better off throwing bags of money at the Axanar team.

Oct 25, 2017
I ask myself this question every time I turn on the TV and expect to see "Star Trek."

It ain't this Star Trek then, because Micheal, the Human raised as Vulcan, that can't seem to control her emotions or understand logic as well as a Vulcan, that was complicit in starting a war, having her captain and ship destroyed, pretty much unlikable to everyone on Discovery except for Tilly and Lorca, who has never been in love and has trouble expressing herself or being social in any way is the furthest from a mary sue character you could have.

So maybe get your eyes checked or something, because you aren't watching this show.

There was a backlash to them even casting a woman as the lead before anything else was even put on paper, so the "mary sue" bullshit is no surprise. Whatever half-baked thing they can throw out there that they overheard some douchebag (Hi Max Landis) say one time about another female-lead.

I really enjoyed the episode. The party was a bit weird but honestly the "casual life" has never come across well in Star Trek. Not TOS up to the Kelvin stuff. That's the cost of world building but trying not to be too "weird" and stay grounded, I guess. The time-loop stuff was fun and I'm really enjoying how the focus and POV of characters can shift while keeping Michael pretty prominent.

Voyager did an ok job giving us a look into what normal life on earth was like when Harry did that time travel thing where he was never on Voyager and woke up in San Francisco or whatever it was. It was funny seeing a bookstore in the background.

EricTheCleric

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
This latest episode was the worst. I will take a break for a few episodes. The writing seems superficial and the show is filled with plain stereotypes taken from teen sci if series closer to a Disney xd show. Yes, the time loop trope is tiring as well.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Yuck with the Mary Sue stuff. There are plenty of reasons to like or not like the show and criticize or praise it but that one is lame. Such a lazy term and characterization to shoehorn into entertainment.

xania

Oct 27, 2017
I find it funny because Ash is more of a "Mary Sue" to me. He somehow managed to survive in a Klingon prison while keeping his sunny disposition, instantly befriended the captain, Landry died so he could immediately get an officer's job, as soon as he steps onto the ship he makes friends, both the main women characters fall in love with him, even better than the captain at shooting stuff, etc.

I guess people are assuming most of this is part of the Voq theory, but he definitely has more inexplicably good traits than Michael and I've not seen anyone talk about him like that. I think the term is silly anyway.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Everybody offended by the gender implications of the term Mary Sue are dismissing the main point, as if being female has anything to do with the criticisms. Should we use Gary Stu instead? Really, who gives a shit if it's a man or woman? I know I don't, but I do know that since she's a woman, and since watching this garbage unfold is like reading some poorly-written YA power fantasy, Mary Sue seems to fit. Boo fucking hoo if that makes you go to red alert and raise your shields.

This show legit gets dumber than a bag of hammers far too often. We're 7 hours into it and less than a handful of characters even matter. The protagonist could be a transgendered alien sock puppet, and it wouldn't matter. She's the main one rolling out the sudden epiphanies and solutions to overcome all the manufactured drama that happens here.

If I was really trolling I'd be rolling out this kind of nonsense: "Here Mike, hold my beer, I need to go total Leeroy Jenkins on the invulnerable space monster that shredded a platoon of Klingons in front of us last week. REEEE!" - *DING!* Attention: The senior staff position of Chief of Security is now available. Suicidal Cylons need not apply. Klingon spies preferred.

But, I'm not trolling. I'm a fan of the franchise and watching this train wreck is fucking painful.

This is Star Trash. Nemesis tier Action-Trek, shoehorned into a long TV series, sprinkled with nostalgic cues and throwbacks to the better shows.

Disco sucks, and CBS would have been better off throwing bags of money at the Axanar team.

Uff.

Because Mary Sue is really just a synonym now for "a female character I don't like".

Most of the rest of your post isn't actually criticism either. Literally, you're just saying "everything's dumb and sucks!". Try harder.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Well you do need a woman to make such a claim.

Not agreeing she a Mary Sue btw. She's no Rey.

Yes, I know, but the term itself is sexist because there's no reason to invent a term specifically to criticize those traits in a woman. Plenty of male characters (especially in Star Trek) have been "perfect" to the same degree many accuse Rey or other women characters of being.

I know it started as a way to criticise the trope of certain female characters because they viewed it as a way to easily write women protagonist or "the ideal woman", or they think they are just creating those female characters in order to put a woman there.

But the fact is that term is meaningless now because of its faulty usage and it is a reason why many here despise it.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If Seven of Nine, the super genius Borg orphan turned real human bean went around saving the day every week, while the rest of the crew did nothing but remain superficial background noise after 7 episodes, I'd be complaining about Voyager too.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
She has not saved them every episode. Nor is she the only one doing anything to save them. In the Last episode Stamets is the one who technically saves them by realizing what is going on initially and directing burnham to help him.

If your complaint is that burnham is too large a focus at the expense of other characters that is a more valid criticism. I would also like to get to know more of the crew and episodes focused around them also.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Fortunately, Wesley Crusher never saved anyone at all on the flagship. Can you imagine the uproar.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Seven of Nine, the super genius Borg orphan turned real human bean went around saving the day every week, while the rest of the crew did nothing but remain superficial background noise after 7 episodes, I'd be complaining about Voyager too.
I mean that's literally what happened.
This has to be a troll job...right? If not...
picard.png

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
That last episode was the best episode yet and exactly what I would prefer the series to be.

• Good character development and exploring Michael's humanity and struggle to understand her human emotions now that she has embraced them.
  • Rainn Wilson is fantastic. Probably the closest thing to Q we will get in this show.
  • I still can't say I'm a fan of Anthony Rapp's character. The fact that he is so flub with a Captain that is more insane than Janeway doesn't really play with me. At least now his character has something that would warrant such cockiness.

First episode of the show that had me wanting more at the end and I didn't think this Star Trek in a Game of Throne's era storytelling would do that for me.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I think this might be my favorite show on TV right now. I'm going to do a rewatch during the hiatus. Mudd is fantastic.

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only part of the episode I was confused about was how Michael stated to remember the loops.

Also: Did Starfleet command ever get back to them about rescuing the Admiral?

Oct 25, 2017
That last episode was the best episode yet and exactly what I would prefer the series to be.

• Good character development and exploring Michael's humanity and struggle to understand her human emotions now that she has embraced them.
  • Rainn Wilson is fantastic. Probably the closest thing to Q we will get in this show.
  • I still can't say I'm a fan of Anthony Rapp's character. The fact that he is so flub with a Captain that is more insane than Janeway doesn't really play with me. At least now his character has something that would warrant such cockiness.

First episode of the show that had me wanting more at the end and I didn't think this Star Trek in a Game of Throne's era storytelling would do that for me.

I figured you'd probably like it although I think from the previews it seems to go back to the war stuff next week, so this might be it for you until after the break. lol

Last edited:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fan of the franchise and watching this train wreck is fucking painful.

The stop watching and save yourself from discussion of the same. As I said, life is too short and there's too much entertainment out there to hatewatch a show. You're essentially wasting your time and not really engendering much in the way of camaraderie and community.

Like, you can keep watching and discussing the show, but... why?

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Only part of the episode I was confused about was how Michael stated to remember the loops.

Also: Did Starfleet command ever get back to them about rescuing the Admiral?
She didn't Stamets got better and convincing her quicker as once she'd gotten some info from Ash or whatever, he didn't need to get her to do it again. By the end Stamets knows enough about everyone to convince them that this is really happening in the time available and get out of it.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Mudd said he killed Lorca 53ish times right? which would be around 26 hours, so it depends on how many loops they did after that. Probably no more than an extra day.

I think you're right, though I don't know if it was clear if that was the number of times Mudd personally killed Lorca or if he included the number of times he blew up the ship and killed him.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Think he killed Lorca on every loop as he actually enjoyed it.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He killed Lorca 53 times, doesn't mean he successfully killed him on his first try, probably took a few tries to figure out the best way to get to him

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The term Mary/Gary Sue needs to go away. I think the criticism can be valid d but the gendered term just evokes anger instead of discussion.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
I figured you'd probably like it although I think from the previews it seems to go back to the war stuff next week, so this might be it for you until after the break. lol

I mean this is what I want from Star trek. A thing also missing from other episodes was forcing the viewer to figure out how you would solve the problem. I enjoyed that.

Sort of how like in Measure of a Man the audience is given time to watch and think with Picard how to prove Data is sentient.

I get that TV shows are a reflection of the time and creating a 1 hour show that would work in syndication or on first time viewing isn't a priority over binging and long arch Game of Thrones politadrama but I think Trek is episodes like this one.

It's the first season so I'm still holding back judgment on characters but the last episode was promising.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Mudd said he killed Lorca 53ish times right? which would be around 26 hours, so it depends on how many loops they did after that. Probably no more than an extra day.
You have to keep in mind that Mudd probably wasn't able to make it to Lorca in many of the earlier loops. It doesn't feel like he would count the ones where Lorca dies by ship explosion.
For example, the second loop that we see, Mudd was already 'at home' in Engineering. Stamets says he's tried many times but he hasn't gotten a win for the home team yet.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
You have to keep in mind that Mudd probably wasn't able to make it to Lorca in many of the earlier loops. It doesn't feel like he would count the ones where Lorca dies by ship explosion.
For example, the second loop that we see, Mudd was already 'at home' in Engineering. Stamets says he's tried many times but he hasn't gotten a win for the home team yet.

He may not have had time to make it to Lorca in a lot of the loops as well. I believe they said the loops are around a half an hour long, I imagine in a lot of them Mudd was following some lead on the spore drive and didn't have time to personally kill Lorca.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The term Mary/Gary Sue needs to go away. I think the criticism can be valid d but the gendered term just evokes anger instead of discussion.
The original meaning of the term still has some relevance, particularly when you think of vanity projects where it's clear that the author is writing themselves into a story to feel good about themselves. I mean, the term is literally born out of Star Trek fandom and is used to make fun of fanfic writers who write a sexy female character who gets to bang Kirk/Spock/both at the same time. It's just that the Internet has broadened the term out to the point where it's meaningless.

DieEnteWurzel

Oct 31, 2017
Hi!

This was probably one of the more grating parts of the episode to me. It hasn't been given enough time to feel earned, though it could be fast-tracked to serve future developments.

Apologies if it was covered on the GAF thread, but I'm curious as to what you and others think about the frat-like atmosphere among officers and contemporary music in the party scene. It seems odd to think that folks would get the inclination to use a centuries old song as a party banger, but I suppose it goes with the idea that people are more tolerant of different interests such as period music. I don't think it stretches belief all that much that people will still occasionally let loose on their off time by getting sloshed and silly either.

I'm someone who is more on board with those kind of things since my involvement with Trek mostly consists of cherry picked episodes of TNG and in no way do I have a specific understanding of what the tone should be.

My friend from boardgame nights is a die-hard "not my Trek!" type and expressed his hate for the scene. I suspect he made up his mind on this before the show aired, but he continues to watch and vehemently rails against anything done differently than it had been before.
I personally really disliked the party scene, just felt so incredibly unimaginative. When I tune in for Star Trek I look forward to seeing some kind of (more or less) carefully crafted idea what a future for humanity exploring space could look like. I mean the budget for this is $8M per episode? Sounds like A LOT to me honestly and makes me wonder how exactly the came to the conclusion to show the party scene (which felt like 10%-15% of the episode) in this specific style. When I try to think about what a party on a star-ship 200 years into the future could look like I don't really see any way (and reason) I would end up with the standard "2010 US human frat-style" party that is omnipresent in today's media.

Isn't the Discovery's crew supposed to be like the smartest Federation science guys (plus the single smartest Vulcan Academy scholar ever)? And this it what their partys look like? Seems like a pretty sad future to me tbh :-(

Also I take it Synthehol hasn't been invented yet (and there seemed to be some kind of Alcohol involved? (at least forTilly/some lower rank crew members?) One minute prior to the party scene start we get the whole "Discovery is the most important ship in this war" monologue from Burnham and the next thing we see is the crew getting drunk. I mean the Spore-Drive implies the have to be combat-ready in an instant 24/7 (go save that Admiral maybe?). Why is Cpt. Lorca letting this fly?

On another note, teleporting the "space whale" into the pressurized atmosphere of the cargo bay seems like torture. :|

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
Great episode with a very classic serialized feel to it.
Rainn Wilson once again pulled through as the wild card.
Also, did anyone spot the "mon capitan" reference?

Sotha Sil

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because I've watched DS9 recently but I never expect anything imaginative from (mostly) human future social rituals and gatherings in Trek. The characters have always been absurdly obsessed with 20th century culture, to the point where it no longer breaks the suspension of disbelief ; it's pure Trek cheese and it's OK. The confrontation with the Other, the ethical dilemmas and the character studies (sprinkled with situation comedy) is the real core of Trek as I understand it. We got a good character study in this episode, and I really enjoyed it.

Also cut the Mary Sue shit out pretty please.

Last edited:

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I know, but the term itself is sexist because there's no reason to invent a term specifically to criticize those traits in a woman.

I don't agree with the people calling Michael a Mary Sue, but the term wasn't invented specifically to target women. The history of the name is a piece of satirical fan fiction from the 70s - incidentally Trek fan fiction - where a writer introduced a parody of flawless perfect characters that can do everything. Her name was Mary Sue, she was a 15 year old Lieutenant who was fantastic at everything, charmed the main cast of the show, etc.
That's where the term originated. Gary Stu has been coined as a male variant, though the name Mary Sue also often is used to describe male variations of that character.

The way it's used nowadays is however often in a very sexist way, but the term itself did not have inherent sexist connotations, it was just a term used to criticize perfect characters in particularly fan fiction based on the name of the aforementioned parody character.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Ironically there's a webcomic that both decently parodies, deconstructs, and reconstructs the concept of the Mary Sue - in particular its relation to the concept of the power fantasy and ultimately the love of fandom that so often births it - in a pretty decent way, set against the backdrop of the Kelvin timeline. I present:
Ensign Sue Must Die!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the Discovery's crew supposed to be like the smartest Federation science guys (plus the single smartest Vulcan Academy scholar ever)? And this it what their partys look like? Seems like a pretty sad future to me tbh :-(

With all due respect, this feels like you're projecting your own dislike of parties here. What was a party like 500 years ago? Pretty similar, but there were candles and lutes. People have drank and copped off with each other as long as there have been people.

I think one of my favourite things about this new Trek is it treats the people as people. On the Trek we all knew, they're not really people so much as expository devices, the humans were all really quite bland if you think back on it. Imagine the drama you could milk out of a shag-hound like Riker and how they almost completely ignored it. I like that the Discovery' crew are people.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Last episode was the best yet. I hated the first two episodes actually based on the Discovery, but the last 3 have gotten steadily better. I still think the show is suffering from a lack of significant characters, there's really only 5 atm and I can't stand two of them.

Edit: We're talking about Mary Sue here aswell. I had never heard that phrase before The Force Awakens, and seriously wish I never had. The whole concept is stupid and just serves to shit up every thread.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I mean the budget for this is $8M per episode?

Thats probably just an average. But they'll probably have spend more on the pilot, the finale, the mid-season cliffhanger episode, specific episodes that are relatively heavy on effects, etc. This is pretty normal.
You`ll often see 'cheaper' episodes (For example, Breaking Bad's The Fly episode) because of budgetary reasons.

Isn't the Discovery's crew supposed to be like the smartest Federation science guys (plus the single smartest Vulcan Academy scholar ever)? And this it what their partys look like? Seems like a pretty sad future to me tbh

I've seen very smart people do the most crazy shit at parties (ranging all kinds of drugs and/or heavy drinking and/or resulting public humiliation) so I dunno.