Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.thedailybeast.com/stabb...zIcnwnSf3GFSZp3SRDbi7uJzvSFHl-NKCmJ1JnqkJcY2U

The vicious stabbing of an Asian-American family, including a 2-year-old girl, at a Sam's Club in Texas earlier this month has been deemed a hate crime by the feds, as authorities continue to raise alarm bells about a potential surge in racially motivated crimes amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Jose L. Gomez, 19, confessed to authorities that he attempted to murder three Asian-American family members, including the toddler and a 6-year-old, on March 14 at the Midland, Texas store, according to the Midland Police Department. Gomez, who stabbed the individuals and a Sam's Club employee, is now facing several charges, including three counts of attempted capital murder and one count of aggravated assault. He is being held on several bonds totaling $1 million.

"The suspect indicated that he stabbed the family because he thought the family was Chinese, and infecting people with coronavirus," according to an FBI analysis report obtained by ABC News.

Stay safe out there Asian-Era

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My Indonesian dad thinks this shit ain't happening and that these crazies will be able to tell between us and the Chinese.

I hate this world.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Several more attempted murders on the pumpkin in chiefs list then.

I hope the family and the person who intervened and got stabbed for their trouble are able to recover.

yellowfury

Oct 27, 2017
this shit has me legitimately fear for my elderly parents' lives whenever they go out.

edit- in case it's not obvious from context, we're asian

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
The agent added, "I've got close to 19 years in law enforcement. It's crazy and it's sad the way certain individuals think, their mindset. It's a sad deal."

Oh, really, law enforcement agent? Is it crazy the bigoted beliefs that individuals hold onto? Please, tell us more.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Covid also brought out most of the closet racists on era too. Even sadder majority denies it when being called out.

There was a dude in the official thread calling Chinese peeps barbaric then tried back peddling saying no no I meant their markets are barbaric! LOL...

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My Indonesian dad thinks this shit ain't happening and that these crazies will be able to tell between us and the Chinese.

I hate this world.

Yup, my mom practices passive aggressive Filipino-exceptionalism and just can't help but make racist jokes constantly. Somehow she still thinks other racists see her as different.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I mean, Covid also brought out most of the closet racists on era too. Even sadder majority denies it when being called out.

There was a dude in the official thread calling Chinese peeps barbaric then tried back peddling saying no no I meant their markets are barbaric! LOL...
The denial part has been on this forum long before Covid was in the scene. It was like this in the old forum too and many of the members migrated over here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So how do those criminals think that virus works? That Asians just "get" and spread it? I mean how can you even think that in a world where the internet and news exists? But it's probably just a false excuse because they are simply racists.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
I would not be surprised at all if non-Asian people with dark hair get discriminated against because people are stupid. Anyone who has played any part in trying to push the "Chinese virus" narrative deserves to feel guilty. All it does is push unhinged racists to try to attack innocent people.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Why can't minorities in the US just get along. Don't we have to deal with enough bullshit as it is. Why we gotta hate on each other like that.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God fuck this. Fucking toddlers man. This fucker should never see the light of day again.
Several more attempted murders on the pumpkin in chiefs list then.
Sorry but how? This asshole seems to be Mexican and the Corona Virus would have happened with or without Trump. Obviously he's inciting racism against Asian people, but the surge in racism against Asian people is happening without his doing, too. Case in point literally every other country that's not the US.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Racism is a disease.

I can't imagine the trauma that family will have to face and the fear any time they go outside again. I can only hope it's something that doesn't stick with the 2-year-old.

Oct 27, 2017
Really fucked up, especially going after the children. It makes me concerned for my kid's safety as my son is Chinese and my daughter Caucasian/Japanese.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So how do those criminals think that virus works? That Asians just "get" and spread it? I mean how can you even think that in a world where the internet and news exists? But it's probably just a false excuse because they are simply racists.
Add stupidity to these people and you got a terrible recipe for disaster. They probably think that yeah, Asian people just get it and spread it.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Growing up in the US, my wife got told to "go back to China" all the time. Even little kids stretching their eye lids as a gesture. This shit starts early.

She's Japanese.

No they can't tell, and even if you confront them they'll say "they're all the same anyway".

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I think we're going to see more of this kinda shit. Seen a video the other day of some asshole on a train yelling and spraying disinfectant on an Asian man. Gross shit.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
God fuck this. Fucking toddlers man. This fucker should never see the light of day again.

Sorry but how? This asshole seems to be Mexican and the Corona Virus would have happened with or without Trump. Obviously he's inciting racism against Asian people, but the surge in racism against Asian people is happening without his doing, too. Case in point literally every other country that's not the US.
Are you joking?
Obviously he's inciting racism against Asian people
Maybe you can prove that this particular person didn't literally hear Trump emphasize how this is a Chinese virus, but good luck proving that this person didn't hear it from someone who heard it from Trump.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Yeah, there's always lurking this subtle feeling that you're just never going to be accepted fully and that you'll always be seen as inferior. Even IF you manage to accomplish anything, "[you] are imagined as the human equivalent of stainless-steel countertops: serviceable and interchangeable and blandly high-end " to quote Cathy Hong's Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning .

Yup, my mom practices passive aggressive Filipino-exceptionalism and just can't help but make racist jokes constantly. Somehow she still thinks other racists see her as different.
Hahaha, I feel you.

My family is Taiwanese, and other than the whole TEAM TAIWAN NUMBER ONE thing, I absolutely fucking loathe nonAsians who LOVE bringing up Taiwan (and Hong Kong) as a way to cover for their shitty racism. Like, ninja PLEASE, I know that you can't actually tell the difference between a Taiwanese person and a Chinese person, and I know you're racist AF to Asian Americans. Stop pretending to use a political issue you don't even fucking understand as a way to be openly racist.

Every time there's a thread about Taiwan/China relationships, it highlights why so many Asian Americans think other racists see "their" group as different/special. It's because they're dumb enough to believe the racists pretending like it matters as an excuse to be racist.

I would not be surprised at all if non-Asian people with dark hair get discriminated against because people are stupid. Anyone who has played any part in trying to push the "Chinese virus" narrative deserves to feel guilty. All it does is push unhinged racists to try to attack innocent people.

Yep. Also, I suspect half the people who say "China covered it up" and echo other things like "China should be held responsible" to be bigoted against Chinese people. Yes, this includes other Asians.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you joking?

Maybe you can prove that this particular person didn't literally hear Trump emphasize how this is a Chinese virus, but good luck proving that this person didn't hear it from someone who heard it from Trump.
Why would I need to prove that? Why would I need to prove that this person didn't hear it from someone who heard it from Trump? Usually it's the other way round when you claim something like that. Racist resentment against Chinese people is spiking all around the world. Trump isn't the only one doing it. Not everything has to be about him. This is a really pointless discussion to have anyway though, believe what you want.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I need to prove that? Why would I need to prove that this person didn't hear it from someone who heard it from Trump? Usually it's the other way round when you claim something like that. Racist resentment against Chinese people is spiking all around the world. Trump isn't the only one doing it. Not everything has to be about him. This is a really pointless discussion to have anyway though, believe what you want.
Yes, stupid racist people get stupid racist ideas in their head. That's true. But one stupid racist has millions of people watching him every day as he tries to deflect blame from his massive screw-up that's going to get hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people killed. Why you're going out of your way to defend him is beyond me. What is even your point? That he's not causing an increase of hate-crimes against Asian people? Noone said he's solely to blame, but saying he doesn't play a part is ignorant.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
This is West Texas. You'd be surprised by the percentage of Trump supporting Mexicans that live out here.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho

Doesn't help when you try reporting them and nothing happens. Granted, this was a while ago so I'm hoping the mod team has gotten less lenient.

Stay safe out there people.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's a good thing we're staying at home mostly, but I have a feeling this won't go away when the virus does.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017

Before the virus, there were lots of negative threads about China that allowed some folks plausible deniability. It was transparent to me though.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"trump isn't responsible for racial violence that he himself enflames" is certainly a take and hill to die on.

why do you think the most powerful person in the country pivoting to "it's the China virus" isnt partly responsible for racially motivated violence that happens afterward?

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
Please do tell us about other world leaders who are inciting hatred against asian people by calling this virus the "chinese virus" and claiming China is responsible for it. Waiting for your answer, I'm sure you must have a long list of other world leaders behaving like Trump.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't minorities in the US just get along. Don't we have to deal with enough bullshit as it is. Why we gotta hate on each other like that.
Divide and conquer, to the benefit of white supremacy.
www.latina.com

Latina Magazine

Founded in 1996, Latina Magazine was the first of its kind – an authoritative voice for Latina women in the United States. Visit our website and check out all the latest articles today.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
"trump isn't responsible for racial violence that he himself enflames" is certainly a take and hill to die on.

why do you think the most powerful person in the country pivoting to "it's the China virus" isnt partly responsible for racially motivated violence that happens afterward?

Especially when he is dead set on exporting the term to other countries like with what happened with the G7.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
So we excuse his behavior because....everyone else is doing it?

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Unless the dude says "I stabbed them because Trump incited me" we will never know for sure, but the timeline sure presents a strong argument that Trump's increasingly racist rhetoric helped cause this. Trumps tweets in the days leading up to the stabbing were especially racist.

I wonder if the decision to rule this a hate crime is what finally got Pompeo to stop calling it the "wuhan virus".

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Note that on March 12th Trump gave his "Foreign Virus" speech, and the stabbing occurred on March 14th.

sonder

Banned
Mar 18, 2020
According to one New York City medical social worker, racism is also rampant in the health-care system as Asian-American doctors and nurses struggle to care for patients who don't want to be touched.

Bruh if I'm an asian doctor and you tell me you don't wanna be treated by an asian person can I literally just walk away? That's what I'd do...say no more fam...good luck.