• Apple Music

Votes: 306 39.7%
  • Other

Votes: 30 3.9%

• Total voters

D A M A G E D

Banned
Feb 24, 2024
All major music streaming services in the thread title (I think?). Which one is the best, most suited for your needs? I'm not a huge music fan anymore, not gonna lie. Long gone are the days when I listened to shittons of tracks daily , but I obviously still enjoy some quality tunes. Mainly soundtracks, but not only. Cutting to the chase - I find YouTube music the best of the bunch with not only original albums, but also a lot of user created mashups, remixes etc. It only lacks one feature - Spatial Audio, which is exclusive to Apple Music AFAIK.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I've converted from Spotify to Apple Music recently and it's just a better service through and through. EXCEPT the desktop app on windows. that shit is ass.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Considering switching from Spotify to Apple so I'll be watching this poll. Can't stand the constant price increases and I hate the Spotify UX. Would love to hear Apple Music impressions.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
YT Music because it's included in Premium so I don't have to pay for another service.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I switched to Apple Music a couple of years ago after a decade+ of subscribing to Spotify and i have to say AM is just the better service all around.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
When Google forced everyone from Google Play Music to YouTube Music, I signed up for Spotify. I kept that for about a year before moving back because their recommendation engine sucked and YTM had improved. It also gets me free YouTube Premium, which is an insanely good value add.

I'm all in on Apple hardware right now, but Apple sucks at services and I don't want to give them money for it. I also have my family account filled up on Google, and several people would be sad if I ditched it.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I expect the poll results will be heavily US-centric.

For me it's Spotify because it has Spotify Connect which is invaluable to me going between phone, iPad and Mac (no idea how Apple STILL doesn't have something similar yet) and the UI of the desktop app is so much better than Apple Music. Seems to offer better suggestions in its playlists for me too.

Ryudo

Jun 19, 2024
I've been a Spotify subscriber for almost a decade and always loved the service. Their algorithms that suggest new music in their Discover Weekly playlists are just untouchable in this industry right now. Since I primarily use music streaming services as a way to discover new artists, Spotify was always the way to go.

However, Spotify's moves lately have drove me nuts and I ended up switching to Apple Music last month. I hate how cluttered the Spotify app is now. I don't care about podcasts and audio books. For some reason they keep shoving right wing podcasts down my throat and I can't get rid of any of them from my home screen. They don't give you any way to block this shit either and I got tired of it. If I see Joe Rogan's face one more time in my feed I'm gonna flip my shit.

Also, the music discovery algorithm this year just kinda... stopped being good? Like, I struggle to find anything good in there anymore. The way they treat smaller artists and won't pay them anything unless they hit a certain stream count threshold is fucked up. Not to mention my account has been hacked multiple times and it's a pain in the ass to get back access to it. They just now added 2FA which is like a basic ass feature.

I made the switch to Apple Music after trying it again during a free trial when I bought my new MacBook. I have tried Apple Music multiple times and just didn't like it. This time around, I'm getting used to it a lot more and noticed a pretty big boost in the audio quality. I even did some comparisons between Apple Music and Spotify and noticed many albums sounded significantly louder and more full in Apple Music. Also, I can still get Spotify's Discover Weekly suggestions on their free tier, so it's no big loss.

They have that Discovery Station radio station now that works like Spotify's Discover Weekly, instead it's indefinite and never stops recommending music, unlike the 30 songs a week you get with Spotify. The recommendations aren't always as good, but I'm new to Apple Music too so maybe it just takes time for it to learn my tastes. Plus the primary focus on music and music only is a big plus for me. The more I use Apple Music and get adjusted to it, the more I like it.

So yeah, there's my long winded way to say I'm on team Apple Music now.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I've always liked Apple Music better than Spotify in most areas. The interface is better, being able to add your own music is way simpler, and it sounds better. The one important thing Spotify does better than Apple is the music suggestions; Spotify seems to know what to play next better than Apple's playlists.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Spotify has gone down hill constantly for me. The layoffs, giving shitty people money, the app getting buggier for me, all while raising prices. I ended up just fully moving to Apple Music. It has its own issues (especially/mostly the Windows app) but aside from that i've been enjoying it. I don't need podcasts, audiobooks, etc. It also handles my local music better and how it syncs to playlists.

MadJosh04

Nov 9, 2022
I've been using Spotify since 2012. I've tried all the others and didn't like them as much as Spotify.

Oct 29, 2017
I've given this speil on other sites but: Apple Music is the only truly great music streamer out there.

For starters, it's all about music. You know, the thing you want it for? There is no podcasts, no audio books, no other forms of media trying to shoehorn themselves in. You open Apple Music to listen to music.

Second, the sound quality. Apple Music supports up to 24/196 lossless via ALAC, as well as lower quality settings on a per-signal basis, so you could set to stream in lossy via cellular and hi res on WiFi. On top of that, Dolby Atmos and "Dolby Audio" (all older 7.1/5.1/quad formats) are available on an ever growing library of albums, from the entire Talking Heads catalogue, to Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, to a considerable chunk of Pink Floyd albums. I'd argue that the surround stuff really shines on an actual surround setup, but the "Spatial Audio" implementation on headphones is solid (and works on all headphones if you flip Atmos to "always on")

Third; complete control over your library. Here's a great example:
On Friday, the jam band Phish put out a brand new album. One track was exclusive to vinyl. I made a recording of the track off my own copy of vinyl, edited the metadata of the version streaming off of Apple Music and added the track in the position it is on the vinyl version of the album. Now I have every track for the album on all devices, as local files are uploaded to the cloud. If I downloaded something off of Bandcamp that's not on streaming… adding it to the desktop Apple Music app will make it streaming on all devices via cloud.

Fourth; Apple Music is human driven. All the playlists are curated and ordered by human hands. Classic and new albums have extensive liner notes. There's a 24/7 radio setup with 3 channels being DJ'd by humans, and frequently known artists (Elton John, Estelle, Dolly Parton, etc). There are pages that show you stuff based on your algorithmic listening habits but more often than not, you're getting recommendations from other people… not a faceless algorithm.

It is admittedly not perfect. There is an infrequent issue where someone changes metadata on a release and it splits to component tracks in your library. The Windows desktop app is rough (and I've heard the Mac one is not much better), but relatively solid for me on Windows 11. Updates are tied to major iOS updates… but Apple does seem committed to working on constantly improving the service. Apple Music Classical, a side service included with your subscription seems like a glimpse of the future where you can see every performance of a certain piece, track a musicians career across all albums (not necessarily their own) and more.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I've tried them all. YouTube music sucks, Spotify quality sucks compared to Apple, but it's radio/community playlist stuff is a lot better. Amazon's app sucks, Tidal is alright and works well with my DAC in Windows, but it's search and community functions sucked when I had it.

My 3 month trial of YouTube music is about to end and I'll probably go back to Apple music. Quality is what matters most to me and it's android app isn't too bad, the "play next" situation is wonky on it though, and the Windows app is the shittest thing I've ever used.

kakteen

Apr 9, 2024
I used apple music, switched to spotify then back.

Generally
- apple has better support with shortcuts, possibly siri and homepod(don't own one yet)
- better quality
- it looks better
but:
- organizing your music is a pain
- creating playlists is better at spotify
- finding new music is mostly better
- the save button and have it as a list like backlog is none existent
- if I add one song last added is filled with huge covers I don't care about
- favorites are hidden in midst of these
- also please for the love of god: add videogame ost as a separate genre/category

So basically they should hire some more ui/ux people and make this better. Most annoying part is that most of my friends use spotify, so everytime they share some music I need to manually search. Same with google maps and apple maps. So I hope they will one day find a way to make it work.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Being able to control Spotify via my android phone while listening on my macbook as I walk around the house is a convenience I can't give up.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any apple products so I use Spotify. I liked tidal but had problems with it.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Apple Music sounds better and has more sound-related features BUT all the clients are bug-ridden garbage, many times my songs won't even play or using the play bar doesn't work as expected. I had issues where the entire app would refuse to play any tracks, even ones I had locally in my library. It's shocking how bad it is.

For ease of use and convenience, definitely get Spotify, but if you care about quality audio via streaming then get Apple Music, it's worth putting up with the trash clients.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Apple Music has Joanna Newsom...

And they play artists way more (still not enough, but still better)

Spotify actively employs chud Joe Rogan.

There's no conversation for me in which Spotify makes more sense.

RomToggins

Jul 4, 2023
UK
Third; complete control over your library. Here's a great example:
On Friday, the jam band Phish put out a brand new album. One track was exclusive to vinyl. I made a recording of the track off my own copy of vinyl, edited the metadata of the version streaming off of Apple Music and added the track in the position it is on the vinyl version of the album. Now I have every track for the album on all devices, as local files are uploaded to the cloud. If I downloaded something off of Bandcamp that's not on streaming… adding it to the desktop Apple Music app will make it streaming on all devices via cloud.

This is one of the biggest factors for me. Being able to edit anything as if it was a local mp3 file is an amazing feature. I live in dread they'll remove the ability at some point

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
Apple as it's part of Apple One. Used to be Spotify before that but over time I've come to like the Apple UI more

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Music's pop punk discovery is shit. I just signed up for a trial because of this thread and it's still as garbage as it was three years ago.

Maybe I'll check back in another three years.

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I am always going back and forth between Spotify and Apple Music. The biggest drawback to AM is that it does not natively scrobble to Last.fm (which I weirdly still care about).

Apple Music Pros:
- Great playlists
- Discovery serves me up stuff that I've never heard and end up loving. Plus the discovery radio is fantastic
- Way better audio quality
- The way it handles the library is way simpler

Spotify Pros:
- Better connection features (it really just connects to anything)
- All of my playlists from years of listening are on there, podcasts are integrated
- it actually works with Last.fm

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Apple Music kinda wins over Spotify by default for not having a dogshit user interface. Anytime I open the desktop Spotify app, I'm baffled at what I'm looking at.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
the curated playlists by the community keep me on spotify. that said i should look into switching anyway because Apple and Google have better bundle deals. Google's has YT Premium and while it sucks that you can't get it a la carte, it's a powerful bundle if you want both.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I think Spotify is the complete package.

I would use Apple Music more if I could use it in on Windows and not die trying.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Spotify for me. It is just simple and not super complicated to navigate. I tried Apple Music but as an Android user it was a no go due to navigation issues and just generally feeling so cluttered. I actually preferred Apple Music since I could import my own music library but everything else around it felt so uninititive and complicated compared to Spotify.

I also tried Youtube Music and that was a complete disaster. Amazon Music is also a hot ass mess. Sometimes even music I have purchased refuses to play on the Amazon music app.

Solitude

Nov 11, 2020
I use YouTube Music but I'm not really in love with it, quite a lot of gaps in the library.

Yeah I can stream a poor quality video version (or upload my own), but I'm paying the same as the other services so it still aggrieves me.

Doubt we'll get a lossless option either.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
I had Spotify for years, then switched to Apple Music, and now I'm back on Spotify. Nothing can beat Spotify's music discovery. The Discover Weekly and Release Radar playlists are worth their weight in gold, and I can't give them up. It's crazy to me that Apple Music doesn't have similar playlists for music discovery tailored to your listening habits.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
i prefer apple if i'm on iphone. but i switched to spotify when i ditched iphones and hated how the ui looked on android. and the family prefers spotify so i stuck with that.

Dasnap

Apr 19, 2021
YT Music lets me upload Nintendo albums from my Jellyfin server fairly easily and has some good Android app mods (ReVanced Extended).

Also helps that it's part of YT Premium.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Tidal is probably the best for artists, and Apple Music the least-bad of the big three.
But I still prefer to just buy albums I like, and manage a local library.

Spotify is doing a lot to fuck over artists.
  • They don't pay out to small artists at all now, if you have fewer than 1000 streams a year - which is over half the music on the platform.
  • They have a "fake artist" problem, where they have music that was created as work-for-hire listed under a unified brand, taking more streams away from artists. This shows up in things like "background jazz" collections.
  • They're paying people like Joe Rogan millions to be on the platform.
  • They recently started bundling a worthless audiobook subscription (15 hours/month) to further reduce the cut that artists get.
  • The audio quality sucks.
Oh, and Daniel Ek is funneling profits from Spotify into the military industrial complex. No big deal. /s
inthesetimes.com

How Spotify Is Quietly Supporting the Military-Industrial Complex

Unbeknownst to most users, Spotify has a secret endeavor—backing the efforts of war.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I continue to use Spotify because of the saved playlists from all the family members but I am seriousLu considering switching to one of the Apple bundles.