Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
I mean i've known this for a long time in teams sports but i've learned the truth about boxing. What a disappointment. The amount of undefeated boxers in each division is just absurd because they only pick fights they're gonna win. And some fights dont even count? Wtf. Floyd Mayweather lost at the olympics but can still call himself undefeated? What a joke. Have them all fight eachother. Do a tournament where 16 undefeated boxers fight eachother until only one is undefeated. Would be huge but then you couldnt advertise someone undefeated for every fight. That would hurt pay per view i guess. Dont get me started on pay per view. That's just not a thing here. If you have the equivalent of espn you're gonna watch whatever you want without paying extra. All those fights you pay to see that shit don't fly here and they know it thaz's why they jist broadcast it on whatever sports channel. I think UK has it too idk.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I think the Floyd Mayweather thing is about his pro fights, not amateur ones.

Still, it's advertisement at the end of the day but I think it's legit? Don't know much about boxing either way.

Broward

Oct 26, 2017
As opposed to what nation where they aren't run as a business? EU countries have multi billion dollar football teams. Think that isn't business? It may be helpful to share what country you live in where professional sports aren't a business. Also boxers need a decently long recovery time between fights, any tournament format event would have to be held over the course of a year or years.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Ya i gotta echo the idea that singling out the US here is pretty silly given that FIFA exists

Bláthanna

Feb 15, 2023
Ireland
Yep, I'm really not a fan of professional sports tbh. Although the issue of sports being a business is definitely not limited to the United States. It's why I'm glad that the 2 most popular sports here in Ireland (Gaelic Football and Hurling) are entirely amateur.

Most people on this island personally know at least 1 person who plays at the very highest level of one of those sports. Personally, it gives me a reason to support these teams as I want to see people I know succeed

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Professional sports literally wouldn't exist if they weren't a business.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Where is this mythical place where PROFESSIONAL sports isn't a business?

After this gets dunked on more will be safe to lock this thread

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
As opposed to what nation where they aren't run as a business? EU countries have multi billion dollar football teams. Think that isn't business? It may be helpful to share what country you live in where professional sports aren't a business. Also boxers need a decently long recovery time between fights, any tournament format event would have to be held over the course of a year or years.
Sure it is business to some extent. But it's not just that. At least you could get fucked if you're shit. You literally get kicked out of the league if you're in the last places at the end of the season. Meanwhile in the US its better to be last then second last isn't it?

Gnaget1891

Sep 21, 2020
Sweden and Germany for example

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Sure it is business to some extent. But it's not just that. At least you could get fucked if you're shit. You literally get kicked out of the league if you're in the last places at the end of the season. Meanwhile in the US its better to be last then second last isn't it?

How does that still not mean its not a business? Literally one of the biggest threats of relegation is financial loss.

Broward

Oct 26, 2017
The system you cite is even more business based, the reason being relegated sucks is because it is a major financial hit to the team and may hinder their efforts to afford and retain skilled players.
Also in the professional US sports with draft systems in place, the incentive to get last place if you are having a bad season is so that you can get the top draft pick and hopefully improve your team. It is on paper and at first glance a much more balanced system than relegation and the negative effects that causes. It leads to a system where the worst team has a real shot at improving rather than being cursed to years of potential failure.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
How does that still not mean its not a business? Literally one of the biggest threats of relegation is financial loss.
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said that sports werent a business outside the US. I'm saying that in the US they are purely business. In other areas it might be 80% business too sure. But that's infinitelly better than 100%

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said that sports werent a business outside the US. I'm saying that in the US they are purely business. In other areas it might be 80% business too sure. But that's infinitelly better than 100%

Professional sports are just as much a business in the rest of the world as they are in the US. What do you think the Saudis are trying to buy into global soccer so much for? Shits and giggles? You think boxers in Europe behave any differently than Floyd Mayweather? Why have we not seen Tyson Fury fight Anthony Joshua then if not for business reasons? There's not difference you invented a narrative in your head and are trying to work backwards to fit reality into it, except your premise doesn't hold up at all under the slightest bit of scrutiny.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

You get fucked if you're shit in boxing too.

How do you think all those boxers stay undefeated?

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
FIFA and IOC are a thing too OP.
They are. But FIFA is not in control of football. They have a monopoly on international football. And UEFA isn't better. But still that's not all there is. UEFA can be about money as much as they want, they don't control the leagues. Like you cant buy a german club like you can buy an english club and UEFA is in no position to change that. I mean, i guess you could buy one of those clubs, but you would get kicked out of the league. And getting kicked out of the league means you would get kicked out of UEFA.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They are. But FIFA is not in control of football. They have a monopoly on international football. And UEFA isn't better. But still that's not all there is. UEFA can be about money as much as they want, they don't control the leagues. Like you cant buy a german club like you can buy an english club and UEFA is in no position to change that. I mean, i guess you could buy one of those clubs, but you would get kicked out of the league. And getting kicked out of the league means you would get kicked out of UEFA.

And the Premier League or La Liga aren't purely financially driven? You're gonna sit here with a straight face and say that?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Boxing is a weird sport to pick a bone with given the severe injury associated with it. Picking and choosing fights is as much about self-preservation as it is money.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
Then why did you put it in the title?
I didnt put it in the title. I said the word purely in the title too. Sports in the us are purely about business and that's the title. Even if it was purely too in other countries the title still wouldn't be wrong. Unless yiu disagree that in the US sports aren't purely business. If that's the case then we can talk about the title.
You get fucked if you're shit in boxing too.

How do you think all those boxers stay undefeated?
By avoiding eachother. I'm not saying you don't need to be good to be undefeated. You obviously do. But then you can be choosy to stay undefested. If you have that degree of control over who you're fighting against IMO that goes against the nature of sports. And like i said. Floyd has lost before. He isn't undefeated to me. I don't care if it doesn't count for you. He had boxing matches and he lost and that's it.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
And the Premier League or La Liga aren't purely financially driven? You're gonna sit here with a straight face and say that?
I never said that. Each country has a league. There are bad apples. It doesn't invalidate my point. Many clubs in europe are owned by the fans in many countries. In some countries like in germany it is even a requirement.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I never said that. Each country has a league. There are bad apples. It doesn't invalidate my point. Many clubs in europe are owned by the fans in many countries. In some countries like in germany it is even a requirement.

It does invalidate your point. Everything that happens in every major sports league or promotion around the world is financially driven.

Sep 22, 2022
This is a world-wide problem with sports.

It's kind of binary though, isn't it.. it's either 100% business, with simply astronomical amounts of money involved.

Or it's like 0.001% business, with certain types of sports being so low funded that even the best of the best need separate full-time jobs just to get by, as their actual sports discipline pays next to nothing.

I don't think I've ever seen any sport that struck the right balance, frankly.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I didnt put it in the title. I said the word purely in the title too. Sports in the us are purely about business and that's the title. Even if it was purely too in other countries the title still wouldn't be wrong. Unless yiu disagree that in the US sports aren't purely business. If that's the case then we can talk about the title.

No, you're the one who started this conversation by putting a box on it like sport in the US are corrupted by money, while sports outside the US are special.

Broward

Oct 26, 2017
Even the pinnacle of "amateur" sports, the Olympics, is a profit driven enterprise with all the corruption that entails.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Soccer players are being traded around right now at the price of a country's entire deficit 😬

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
The title implies that. Why do you think all of the responses are "Sports everywhere are about money"?
Then maybe read the post if you think the title implies that because my post wasn't about it. My post was about a sport where opponents are picked to favor you, and pay per view. There are other issues but i didn't even mention them. Like i would very much argue that a sport with adbreaks is more business driven than a sport without it. I would argue that a sport where at some point losing is better than winning goes entirely against the spirit of sports, i would argue that every team being a 'franchise' with owners is more business driven than when a club is owned by the fans. Thos clubs can't do whatever they want. There is a democracy behind it for major things.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
We can change the title to "Sports being just business is sad" if you'd like
No thank you. I am saying that it is worse in the US, doesn't mean that i'm saying oh it's purely passion or whatever somewhere else. If US sports are purely businesses while everywhere else they are 90% business then that's a huge difference to me.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
No thank you. I am saying that it is worse in the US, doesn't mean that i'm saying oh it's purely passion or whatever somewhere else. If US sports are purely businesses while everywhere else they are 90% business then that's a huge difference to me.

So you are saying sports in the US are corrupt, while sports outside the US are special?

Transistor

Or else Pizza is gonna send out for you
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I have to ask, are you from the US? Actually, let me rephrase that. Do you live in the US?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I think most major sports globally have tons of cheating and corruption scandals. Even for individual sports at a high level you see lots of interesting ways people maneuver to keep wins or good records.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
LMFAO

COMPLAINING ABOUT THE US?
GET SOME PERSPECTIVE

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

in basketball

www.youtube.com

The Most Controversial Basketball Game | USA v USSR | 1972 Munich Olympics

Watch the controversial ending of the 1972 Munich Olympics basketball tournament. U.S.A had won the first 7 Olympic tournaments, and had never lost a single ...

there's tons of fuckery involved in boxing and sports and it's not just some american conspiracy

Of All Trades

Mar 15, 2019
Soccer is 100% business everywhere because all soccer relies on purchasing soccer balls, which are manufactured and big business. Only basketball and hockey can therefore claim any level of purity.

Edited because I forgot about skate blades being manufactured.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
So you are saying sports in the US are corrupt, while sports outside the US are special?
Already told you no and already replied to you especifically explaining it.
I have to ask, are you from the US?
No.
LMFAO

COMPLAINING ABOUT THE US?
GET SOME PERSPECTIVE

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Idk what that is but i know it has nothing to do with my post.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Already told you no and already replied to you especifically explaining it.

No.

Idk what that is but i know it has nothing to do with my post.
you don't even know what your own point is. what's your thesis?

you're spouting nonsense

take a break and come back when you have a real point to make that's not just sour grapes about floyd.

if it's about corruption in sports, well, my example was to point out that it has always existed. even against americans.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

No one's going to try to discuss anything because the thread's premise is one nearly everyone disagrees with from the beginning. And I love railing against America but not for a reason like this. "Well other countries sports are 90% business, America is 100% and that's a big difference." No it isn't, actually.

Why not just argue about boxing if that's your big issue?