TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
By Sammy Barker

This is the latest guest column from Push Square, the voice of the PlayStation community, offering passionate, in-depth coverage and insight into the world of Sony. Its goal is simple: to keep you informed, engaged, and part of the conversation surrounding all things PlayStation.

View: https://x.com/IGN/status/1845456990245371935
Sony sparked discontent among the PlayStation fandom in February this year when it said during an earnings call there'll be no sequels or updates to "major existing franchise titles" on the PS5 before March 2025. With the platform holder keeping its content roadmaps close to its chest, the comments were largely taken out of context and many assumed this would be a lean year for the company's new-gen console.

While it's true this has been a fairly quiet year for PS Studios, it's been anything but light on the games front. At the time of writing, my three Game of the Year frontrunners are Astro Bot, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, and Metaphor: ReFantazio and the PS5 is the only platform where you can play all three. Other possible contenders for awards include Silent Hill 2, Helldivers 2, and Black Myth: Wukong – all console exclusives.

PlayStation has done a particularly good job of working with partners to keep its portfolio packed this year.

Stellar Blade is a great example. It collaborated with Korean developer Shift Up to help bring the NIKKE: Goddess of Victory creator's console debut to market and in my opinion is another game in contention for an end of year gong. Rise of the Ronin, a similar partnership with legendary studio Team Ninja, may have received a cooler critical reception but it's currently ranked 17th in IGN's ongoing Game of the Year user poll, proving it was a hit with fans.

More Here:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
under promise, over deliver
---------------Scotty, USS Enterprise

Eimi

Oct 6, 2024
People keep saying this gen has sucked so far but I'm over here feasting.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Roadmaps and list wars don't matter, game releases do.

MarcosBrXD

Aug 28, 2024
Anyone who says that PlayStation didn't have a great year this year is just being a denialist at this point, between first party, second party and exclusive partnerships they came out in droves.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Been a fantastic year for me. Maybe not quite as packed to the brim as last year but still super strong.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Good year indeed, after a really slow start.

It seems like they were surprised by the success of their own exclusives. Concord is the only failure, as Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Helldivers 2, Astro Bot and FF7R had different levels of success.

This wasn't anywhere near predictable. The industry is getting old enough to be less predictable as the "recipe for success" is getting blurred.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
yeah they did a great job filling in their gap year. Even Concord's historic failure wasn't enough to put a dent in it. Zero complaints with my PS5 in 2024

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
From Sony's perspective it was light. They even provided graphics on what they considered major, internal-developed titles.

Astro Bot was not considered a major title. Helldivers 2 is not internal and I don't think anyone saw it blowing up the way it did. Silent Hill 2 and FF7 Rebirth are paid console exclusives. Concord was their major game and... Well.

All that said it's been a great year for PS5 exclusives.

Comparing to Xbox and Switch is whatever but obviously Nintendo is in a transition year and Microsoft is no longer focused on exclusives.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Right or wrong I feel like the only games that felt like must buys at launch on PS5 this year were Helldivers 2 (I didn't, was busy at the time) Elden Ring DLC (skipped it, wasnt in the mood) and Astro Bot (bought it). I skipped out on all the other big games this year but thats fine, it means I'll have an awesome backlog next year and have Stellar Blade, Black Myth Wukong, Star Wars Outlaws, Rise of Ronin, Infinite Wealth, and others on my wishlist and will buy them as I clear games and they go on sale.

The funny thing is the PS5 Pro has me even more interested in the backlog now, since I should be able to play some of these games I skipped at even better quality.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think if what you want from Playstation are sequels to their biggest IPs, they've disappointed this year (and probably for the generation entirely)

but the flip side to that is, they've done a pretty remarkable job not being overly reliant on just those IPs

good golly do i want another Uncharted tho

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Roadmaps and list wars don't matter, game releases do.
kqyZDEi.gif

or

Oh my sweet summer child.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
They have had a hell of year, I remember the outlook was not great but they somehow still delivered.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Yeah was fantastic, especially for Sony, TGA lineup for GOTY will be almost composed by PS5 exclusives only, that's unprecedent.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. A bit captain obvious though - This is what a platform holder should be doing if they don't have anything substantial from their own studios to release. Consoles live and die by their content and allowing a year to be 'lean' can be fatal as some are finding out.

inkblot

Mar 27, 2024
I think the issue is more that, 4 years in, traditionally a game console should have an influx of games, this is the time period where PlayStation should be having their highest output.

I do acknowledge that it's a pretty arbitrary barometer and things like the pandemic undoubtedly affected that long term timeline though.

Either way, my favorite game this year has been Astrobot : )

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Yea, money hatting one of the biggest gaming franchises while harming the brand was at least a smart choice for Sony but literally no one else. We shouldn't celebrate this.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda funny that they have the frontrunner for GotY in what was supposed to be a "weak" or "light" year for them.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's only light to people who have very narrow ideas on what PS has always been. It's always been a combo of first and third party collaboration.

It's been a great year across the board with the stuff put out by them and the companies they have partnered with.

Only people have a problem if they think all PlayStation is just ps studios for whatever reason.

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
I played on my PS5 more this year than any other year. It usually was 60% PS5 / 30% Steam Deck / 10% Switch

Now it was basically 90% PS5 / 10% Steam Deck. And the rest of the year it's looking like it's basically gonna be PS5 only

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, but if you don't have a PC where most of the best things were also on that platform, you could make that argument I guess.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
I played the hell out of Helldivers and loved Astro. Then rebirth was one of the greatest games I've ever played. I legit don't understand how anyone could say this year sucked.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think if what you want from Playstation are sequels to their biggest IPs, they've disappointed this year (and probably for the generation entirely)

but the flip side to that is, they've done a pretty remarkable job not being overly reliant on just those IPs

good golly do i want another Uncharted tho

They've disappointed for their biggest IPs this generation? There've been 2 Spider-Man games this gen. There's been a God of War game this gen with expansion. There's been a Horizon game this gen with expansion and VR game. There's been a Gran Turismo game this gen with VR mode. TLOU2 didn't land this gen, but it did land only a few months before this gen started. Ghost of Tsushima also landed a few months before this gen started and it got a meaty DLC this gen. There'll be a Ghost game and a Death Stranding game landing next year.

You mentioned Uncharted, but what other big IP have they been neglecting this gen? We know from Jasons reporting that an Uncharted game was in development between Bend and Naughty Dog, but Bend asked to do their own thing instead. One can only hope that ND either moved the game fully in-house or found another partner studio (VASG?) to work with on the new Uncharted.

We know how things went with TLOU Online, and that ND are working on a new IP next, so TLOU Part 3 will have to come afterwards

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This will change for me, as soon as Stellar Blade and Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth release on PC, but for now it's true.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I think, other than a handful of the indie breakouts every popular and/or big game has had a PlayStation release at launch this year.

kxs

Jul 25, 2022
It was a great year for PS5.

Only playable on PS5:

FF7 Rebirth
Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
Astro Bot

PS5 console exclusive:

Helldivers 2
Black Myth Wukong
Silent Hill 2

And then almost every third party game is coming out on PS5 day and date.

If you like JRPGs (Era's favourite genre) and are not much of a PC person you are probably spending a lot of time on the PS5 this year.

I understand it's a lighter year for people who wanted big narrative driven games from Sony's first party developers.

PhillyPaw

Apr 11, 2021
They got carried with their timed exclusives contracts

Seems you wasn't around in the ps1/ps2 days before Sony had big exclusives. 3rd pty has always been the bread and butter to PlayStation (even to this day), so if they have more exclusive 3rd pty titles than the competition, that's a great move on their end. The 1st pty titles are just cherry on top.

Anyone saying the PS5 doesn't have games just makes them look like a silly who doesn't play games.

Mcbel

Sep 6, 2023
Can we just wait a little? The big Xbox games haven't released yet (CoD+MFS 2024+Indy)

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Seems you wasn't around in the ps1/ps2 days before Sony had big exclusives. 3rd pty has always been the bread and butter to PlayStation (even to this day), so if they have more exclusive 3rd pty titles than the competition, that's a great move on their end. The 1st pty titles are just cherry on top.

Anyone saying the PS5 doesn't have games just makes them look like a silly who doesn't play games.
3rd party is literally why PS is where they are today. It's so easy to tell people who came around the ps4 era, ps3 and before Sony barely owned any studios and they also contracted all their games. Hence why ND doesn't own crash even though it was funded by Sony and Activision and many other titles that were just on PS but they don't own the IP lol.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Astro Bot and Rebirth are comfortably my 2 favourites of the year and literally just too many games for all platforms as is so can't complain really.

Would like to have a better picture of the future line up as I just much prefer the blow their load strategy they did last gen and don't care if that means they just show the same games over and over, but not super hard to guess what most of their studios have planned and could be a great second half of the gen if ND and Santa Monica actually drop new I.P which there's a lot of smoke for.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
it was weaker than other years first party-wise, competitors doing worse than them doesn't contradict this.
If we talk about platforms, this is no news: with Micorosft and Sony's multiplatform strategies, PS and PC are the two platforms with the bigger catalogues, with timed exclusives being the only big difference.
Third parties being more open to Switch 2 is the only thing that can change this.

Cant believe Pushsquare thinks that.
I doubt this is an uncommn opinion: TGA nominations are very close, Playstation will certainly be the most represented platform, I think Zelda is the only game that could be in the top 6 without being avaiable on PS.