The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
The last time Sony planned to build a shared mythology out from Spider-Man the entire thing imploded in the aftermath of The Amazing Spider-Man 2. However, tentative plans have been in place for a while to tie all of Sony's comic book properties together, and in May of last year it was announced that the franchise would be known as the Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters, or SPUMC to save time. In a move that signals what the studio's endgame is, the SPUMC has now been officially rebranded as Sony's Spider-Man Universe, so we can all expect Tom Holland's Peter Parker to cross paths with Tom Hardy's Venom eventually.

Holland's contract with Sony and Marvel expires after No Way Home, so we can pretty much guarantee at this point that the next batch of negotiations will result in the actor jumping between the MCU and Sony's Spider-Man Universe, given that his character's name is right there in the branding.

The only thing about this that feels off is that they say that Holland's contract is over after NwH, but the news of the renegotiation stated that Spider-Man will appear in another MCU film after Spider-Man 3:

The new deal was signed late on Thursday night. Negotiations involved top players from both studios, including Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman, Feige and Walt Disney Studios co-chairs Alan Horn and Alan Bergman. In exchange for lending Feige's producing prowess, Marvel and Disney will receive roughly 25% of the profits, according to insiders. Disney will retain its merchandising rights and will put up roughly a quarter of the financing. As part of the arrangement, Spider-Man will also appear in one future Marvel Studios film.

I thought this meant the inevitable Avengers 5, but it could technically mean any MCU film, I guess even a Spider-Man 4.

variety.com

Spider-Man Will Stay in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

After briefly breaking up, Sony Pictures and Marvel have found a way to get back in the Spider-Man business together.

edit: also relevant to this: Kevin Feige in 2019

Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.

quoted from the same Variety link as the above

Last edited:

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
So what was all the talk between Disney and Marvel about a while back, just No Way Home?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
And we know how well they excute their plans when it comes to Spiderman

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
I'm fairly confident they'll work out a new deal once this existing contract ends. Too much money to be lost on both sides if they let Spider-Man out of the MCU altogether.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly an improvement over "Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters" which is about as terrible a name as could be imagined.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Sony realized that they don't actually need Marvel to capitalize on Raimi nostalgia?

Because most of those trailer views aren't for Tom Holland.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Holland will most likely sign for few more movies. He's happy, Sony is happy. And in the meantime, Sony will continue to crank movies with secondary characters in films that are mostly standalone and even not covering major comicbook stories. IMO that's a fine approach. If a standalone spinoff film is successful, then they can move to established big story arcs and attract more attention from fans.

They are contractually bound to release new core Spiderman films in order to retain the IP rights, so one day we will get new spiderman actors [or maybe even old ones coming back in their standalone films]. But I think Holland will stick with this franchise for a long time.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Sony and Disney are on very good terms right now. The recent Disney+ deal should show that we don't have too much to worry about with Spidey's future.

He's going to stay in the MCU. Though I do think Disney is going to wait for Venom 2 to underperform and Mobius to completely fucking bomb to finalize any sort of deal. I'm sure they are aware that once it's clear that Sony's universe isn't going anywhere and that Venom was a fluke, they won't have to worry about crazy demands from Sony.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Would Sony ever make a Holland Spider-Man film without Marvel doing it for them?

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Sony: "Big things happening fam"

The big things:

Big_Wheel_Marvel.png

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, well, I wouldn't mind if they had to conclude MCU Spider-Man story in under 44 minutes animated form.

It was fun while it lasted.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Lordy. If you read their original plans for what Spider-Man was going to be before the MCU stepped in, you know that this universe is fucked from the neck up.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sony should just let Lord & Miller run the show. They've turned out a better Spider-Man movie than Marvel.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
if no way home ends with tom holland fucking off into his own sony universe that's going to be such a tragedy lol

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I resent the fact that Sony is still doing this instead of putting all their eggs into the animated Spiderverse basket, one of the most exciting Spidey properties ever. I'm not surprised or anything after the success of Venom but I have no faith in them to make a good (let alone coherent) cinematic universe out of secondary Spidey characters. I guess the silver lining is that these movies will distract people like Rothman and Arad from Spiderverse 2 and beyond.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Sony and Disney are on very good terms right now. The recent Disney+ deal should show that we don't have too much to worry about with Spidey's future.

He's going to stay in the MCU. Though I do think Disney is going to wait for Venom 2 to underperform and Mobius to completely fucking bomb to finalize any sort of deal. I'm sure they are aware that once it's clear that Sony's universe isn't going anywhere and that Venom was a fluke, they won't have to worry about crazy demands from Sony.

This. I'm not worried.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Sony should just let Lord & Miller run the show. They've turned out a better Spider-Man movie than Marvel.

And once Rothman saw the animated movie he didn't care about was good he ordered five fucking spinoffs into production without them.

They have no idea what makes a universe a universe beyond "movies for each character"

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I still wish Sony would not hold the rights for the Spider-Man movies, ugh. So annoying.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
if no way home ends with tom holland fucking off into his own sony universe that's going to be such a tragedy lol
Would be funny if Marvel literally kicks him out of their universe by the end of it, and he's stuck in a new universe where literally everyone but him looks different.

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
Sony realized that they don't actually need Marvel to capitalize on Raimi nostalgia?

Because most of those trailer views aren't for Tom Holland.
I don't know, I'd argue it's seeing Raimi stuff with the Holland/MCU that's generating the hype, not just Raimi nostalgia on its own. The combination is what's potent.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I just hope we can still get Marvel making movies with Spidey and Sony does cross-overs from time to time with some b level villains.

And in a few years you pass the mantle to Miles. But without killing Peter, just have him be retired and pops in from time to time.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
The world forgetting the superhero identity of Peter Parker could be the first step in making the Sony spiderverse standalone. That even leaves an an option for Sony and MCU to connect again in a decade [or two] when they decide for Cumberbatch to fire up another spell.

In the meantime, Sony and Holland could focus on few movies with classic Spidey villains, building up Miles and Gwen, crossovers with Venom/Kraven/Morbeus/others. There is no lack of potential stories for them even without MCU cameos.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Tom Holland is awesome.

The Raimi stuff will help bring along more people but its not like the current Spider-Man movies and character is not super popular.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Which spinoff is in production?

Last I heard the only spin-off we know about revolves around Spider-Gwen, Jessica Drew, and Cindy Moon and will loosely be based off of the Spider-Women comic book crossover.

(It's a story where Gwen, Jess, and Cindy get trapped on Gwen's Earth, and are forced to battle against the Cindy from Spider-Gwen's world, who is evil.)