cc08a3d9-manchester-studio-sony-psvr-playstation-vr-vr4player-000.jpg
(2015-2020)
gkjtt26m2aq2visi89oz.jpg
(1993-2021)
Company-Logo_Pixelopus-Inits.png
(2014-2023)
londonstudio.jpg
( 1994-2024)

Truly terribly sad when you think about it. The loss of Japan Studios is something that will leave scars on my gamer life forever.

RagingAvatar

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester
All of these hurt :(
Even Manchester Studio which was VR focused and afaik didn't ship anything, it was still exciting to consider what they'd do

Ombretoile

Banned
Sep 8, 2022
It's really scary, At this point, should we expect one studio closure per year at Sony?

The fact that Sony is the market leader makes the whole thing even more frustrating. What the hell.

Last edited:

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Shit sucks, but going back further its more insane to me they closed Sony Liverpool, Zipper, Evolution, and Sony Cambridge back to back.

I mean, it was an indignity that Sony Cambridge was rebranded Guerilla Cambridge in the first place considering they saved the shit out of Killzone 2. Guess that rescue didn't end up being both ways and look at ol' Herman now eh.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I remember the times when a big player closing a studio was kind of a huge scandal, not anymore it seems. Not that it doesn't damage the publisher image but we are slowly getting used to it.

PennyPasta

Sep 3, 2020
Gamer County
I still can't believe they closed Japan Studio and I'm sad to see this is becoming a trend. 4 studios in 4 years is far too many, they shouldn't be allowed to get away with this kind of thing scott free.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the times when a big player closing a studio was kind of a huge scandal, not anymore it seems. Not that it doesn't damage the publisher image but we are slowly getting used to it.
the uk/eu representation still expanded to other studios and/or campuses. as bad as it seems, most of us look at it way too simplistic.

Ombretoile

Banned
Sep 8, 2022
User Banned (Permanent): Concern Trolling; Platform Warring; History of the Same

bleits

Oct 14, 2023
On one hand those studios did nothing for me and thought they were bad but on the other Sony doesn't make enough games and closing studios without replacing them doesn't help.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Yeah it fucking sucks, Japan Studios made so many great games and (to me personally) the other Sony studios haven't been able to match them.

Not really looking forward to the future of PS tbh.
Especially with all the "live service" talk (but those are getting canceled left and right so 🤷‍♀️).

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Concrete Genie was a really special game. I even bought the art book. Japan Studio also made some really unique games even if they often lacked a bit of polish. I love many of Sony's big games but the smaller ones also helped give their consoles some flavor.

poklane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Thinks it's been clear for a while now that at least internally Sony has no interest in studios which don't make games which are pretty much guaranteed to sell 10mil+ units. As such it wouldn't surprise me if this number grows.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
.... MM is making a new game
London Studio was making a new game, until yesterday. Games get cancelled all the time. It's pretty clear that MM hasn't released a commercially successful game since LBP2 in 2011 so I don't think it's strange to be concerned about their future in the current Sony studio landscape.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
You know it's going to happen.

I feel like in the end, only Insomniac, Santa Monica, and Naughty Dog will remain.

So to be clear, you are predicting the closure of:
  1. Polyphony Digital
  2. Sucker Punch
  3. Bend
  4. Guerilla
  5. Media Molecule
  6. Housemarque
  7. Bluepoint
  8. Team Asobi
  9. Firesprite
  10. Firewalk
  11. Haven
  12. San Diego Studio

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
if you're to make a platform to get people to buy and plays on it, the last thing to do is shutting down studios

Ombretoile

Banned
Sep 8, 2022
  1. Polyphony Digital
  2. Sucker Punch
  3. Bend
  4. Guerilla
  5. Media Molecule
  6. Housemarque
  7. Bluepoint
  8. Team Asobi
  9. Firesprite
  10. Firewalk
  11. Haven
  12. San Diego Studio

I hope I'm wrong, but yes, unfortunately I think so.

As someone pointed out, I'm afraid Sony might not be interested in studios unable to sell games over 10-15 million copies, even if these studios were there at the birth of PlayStation (Japan Studios). Sony considers that Days Gone, which sold 9 million copies, is a failure.

And we're talking about 4 studios in 4 years here, but just in the last 10 years alone, Sony has closed many more.

GrahamGoring

Nov 8, 2017
I remember back when I was at Zed Two in the early 2000s we'd joke that if Sony bought your studio in the UK it was as good as a death sentence.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Absolutely felt like this platform lost something vital (its heart and soul imo) when Japan Studio was closed down. Outside of a few Astro Bot titles, Asobi has yet to prove they're an adequate replacement, but given the state of affairs, I wonder if they'll even be given the chance to do so.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Isn't Team Asobi essentially the continuation of Japan Studio? I thought it operated as a division of Japan Studio and absorbed staff once it restructured?

VIPER

Nov 12, 2023
  1. Polyphony Digital
  2. Sucker Punch
  3. Bend
  4. Guerilla
  5. Media Molecule
  6. Housemarque
  7. Bluepoint
  8. Team Asobi
  9. Firesprite
  10. Firewalk
  11. Haven
  12. San Diego Studio
I'm primarily a PC guy but to see Polyphony and Guerilla close would be a death knell in gaming. Gran Turismo is the essentially the biggest racing franchise in gaming. Nuts.

Kudgel

Jan 14, 2024
Haven seems like the most likely to close once Fairgame$ (probably) bombs. There's just so much space for that particular genre.

I'm also sad about Japan Studio of course, but the problem cuts much deeper within the industry with unsustainable budgets and targets.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
Isn't Team Asobi essentially the continuation of Japan Studio? I thought it operated as a division of Japan Studio and absorbed staff once it restructured?

That is accurate but the majority of the people (including all the leads except the Asobi ones) at Japan Studio left, only a small portion was absorbed by Asobi (which has since expanded with external hires).

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Sony has been taking pretty big Ls recently, even while they are on top and if you look across the gaming landscape (first and third party), has a pretty great line up. To me, it seems at the very least they should consolidate their tech across their studios. They have got some very, very good engines, particularly Decima...I think it is becoming too expensive to create and service all these advanced engines, while making games that are huge in scope as well. I love epic games, but a lot of the stuff off the critical path often seems unneeded or at least could be streamlined...

Amargeddon

Apr 8, 2020
Been mostly a Playstation player since the early 90s and I really don't like what's happening to Sony right now during the ps5 life cycle.
From not making smaller non mainstream games, closing studios and reducing output of major first party studios to remakes or 1 game for the entire generation at best.