What would you do?

• Politely refuse and close the door.

Votes: 31 5.1%
  • Refuse, close the door, and call the police.

Votes: 342 56.8%
  • Let him in, but don't call the police.

Votes: 96 15.9%
  • Let him in, and call the police while he's in the bathroom.

Votes: 133 22.1%

• Total voters

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
So last night I'm on a zoom call happy hour with some old college friends. I get up to make some coffee and there's a knock at my front door. It's a stranger, scared out of his mind, with a gunshot wound on his right side. He asks me if he can hide out in my house so the people that shot him can't find him.

I let him in and we awkwardly make small talk while we wait for his wife to pick him up. I give him some water, let him use my bathroom, we play chess, and so forth. He's pretty nervous and shaking quite a bit, but I went into nurse mode and kept cool. The bullet fortunately went right through his side with a neat little hole on both sides of the shirt. It bled less than I thought it would too. He asked me not to call the police or an ambulance, and I obliged on the condition that if he passed out I would have to call 911, which he accepted.

His wife came, he thanked me, and left. Fucking wild night.

I probably wouldn't have let him in if my daughter were home and I probably shouldn't have let him in regardless. Dude had a very large knife in his back pocket. I haven't slept since then and am lamenting that I signed a two year lease for this place.

What would you do Era?

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Wow. That is... Some experience. Do you live in a house or an apartment complex?

I wouldn't let anyone in, especially if they had a weapon. I'd establish that I'd be happy to call the police for them or an ambulance and that's about the extent of it. I suppose if I could offer any help (food, water, bandaid) I'd do that too but no. Not in my house.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Guy is bleeding out and you have a game of chess?

I have a feeling there are going to be many, many questions in this thread, so I'll just ask the pointless one. Who won?

OP
OP
carlsojo

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Wow. That is... Some experience. Do you live in a house or an apartment complex?

It's a duplex. My landlord/neighbor was here last night, I texted him after to be wary.

I have a feeling there are going to be many, many questions in this thread, so I'll just ask the pointless one. Who won?

Since the bullet went through and didn't hit anything, he wasn't bleeding much. If he was actively bleeding profusely I would have been putting pressure on it with towels.

We only got about give moves in before he had to take a break. It was really just to distract him and make sure he didn't pass out or anything. His wife showed up shortly thereafter.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F06e004f0-6221-11ea-8024-40a080f12cd1.jpg

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I'd call them an ambulance and bring them blankets or something outside.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I'd call an ambulance for him, and that would be it. I'm not letting someone I don't know hide out in my house, and risk the lives of my family and I.

Chasex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hey, this has actually happened to me as well.

When I was little a guy started pounding on our door in the middle of the night screaming he's been shot and there are people after him with guns. We live on a farm in the middle of nowhere. My dad gave us all shotguns and we posted up at the top of the stairs while the police came. Hell no we did not let him in.

Turns out this guy was on mega drugs and had walked barefoot through the snow several miles to our front door. On his way he hit our electric horse fence, hence the "i've been shot". He must have just imagined that people were after him due to paranoia.

I remember the police were pretty stupid though. My dad stepped out of the front door in a bathrobe, boots, and one of those midwestern fur hats with the earflaps on, shotgun in hand. Multiple police drew their guns on him. Like dude, this is the homeowner who came out of his house, no need to be pointing guns.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I'd let him in and do what I can to help. I wouldn't call the police. Maybe not the smartest idea but I always help those in need when I'm able.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't let him in because it's 100% a fake gunshot wound as I don't live in Murica.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I wonder if you'd open yourself up to being sued later if you didn't call for medical help?

"I was bleeding to death and pleading with them to call an ambulance, and they just watched me bleed and got a CHESS SET OUT! I feared I was going to die in there."

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Calling an ambulance and then telling them to wait on the front porch. You know who's more likely to get shot? Somebody that owns and carries a gun. I have no idea WHY that person got shot, so I'm not going to let a potentially dangerous person into my house.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Lotta red flags here.

He asked me not to call the police or an ambulance,

such as this.

I probably shouldn't have let him in regardless.

no, you shouldn't have.

Dude had a very large knife in his back pocket.

Giant red flag #2

What would you do Era?

You let an armed man who was likely the aggressor in a burglary or mugging gone wrong into your home, and conceded to his request to "not call police."

This was extremely stupid, OP.

Cops were definitely in the area afterwards, there were helicopters outside for about an hour.

This was DEFINITELY someone who tried to assault someone with that knife, got himself shot by a surprise gun he didn't expect, and ran for it when his victim called the police.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
So your first thought after answering the door from a guy with a gunshot wound isn't any of the following?! 1) Why don't you want emergency services? 2) how did this happen? 3) Do you have a gun on you?

Instead, you asked if he wanted to...play chess?!

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't let anyone in because my wife would leave me if I did that, but I'd happily drive them somewhere.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I would lock the door and call 911 while grabbing and loading my shotgun, no fucking way would I let them in.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I don't open the door anymore when people I don't expect knock. It's always someone trying to sell something or get me to drive them to a locator store. So this dude would have had to find someone else anyway lol.

Plus you said dude had a big ass knife. Imagine the people chasing after him start busting in your door and he holds that knife to your neck and uses you as a hostage.

Hazmat

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
Because the police would likely make the situation worse especially with the person asking you not to call them.

We're now taking the word of a random person who was shot who definitely doesn't want you to call the cops as the good, honest, true words of someone that is definitely totally trustworthy and on the up and up? I know some people here don't like the police, but goddamn.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hell nah I would not let some stranger who was shot in my house. Where I live + being a household of only black women = keeping strangers the hell outside, I just would not. I'd call an ambulance though since the hospital is just down the street.

Also dude it is a pandemic and you let somebody in? What if they had COVID too?

OP
OP
carlsojo

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
So your first thought after answering the door from a guy with a gunshot wound isn't any of the following?! 1) Why don't you want emergency services? 2) how did this happen? 3) Do you have a gun on you?

Instead, you asked if he wanted to...play chess?!

I asked him how it happened, he told me.

Probably should have asked him if he had a weapon, but my first thought was making sure he was okay.

We were standing awkwardly in my living room and he saw the board. Asked him if he knew how to play. Like.. I didn't know what else to do or talk about. We talked about how our dads taught us how to play.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I would let him in and help him as much as I'm able but would already have been calling the police/ambulance/911 before he said not to do so.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hey, this has actually happened to me as well.

When I was little a guy started pounding on our door in the middle of the night screaming he's been shot and there are people after him with guns. We live on a farm in the middle of nowhere. My dad gave us all shotguns and we posted up at the top of the stairs while the police came. Hell no we did not let him in.

Turns out this guy was on mega drugs and had walked barefoot through the snow several miles to our front door. On his way he hit our electric horse fence, hence the "i've been shot". He must have just imagined that people were after him due to paranoia.

I remember the police were pretty stupid though. My dad stepped out of the front door in a bathrobe, boots, and one of those midwestern fur hats with the earflaps on, shotgun in hand. Multiple police drew their guns on him. Like dude, this is the homeowner who came out of his house, no need to be pointing guns.
pic of Chasex's dad
21b938.jpg

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I really have no idea how I would act in such a situation. So many factors at play.

But I applaud OP for helping someone out.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Not worth the risk that I or more importantly my partner gets put in danger as a result so no way I'd answer the door.

Granted I don't live in the US so a gunshot wound would be far more alarming.

But I cannot imagine taking this risk if you have kids, regardless of whether they were home or not.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Cops were definitely in the area afterwards, there were helicopters outside for about an hour.

Bloody hell, you most likely harboured a criminal who tried to commit a violent crime, and didn't call the cops.

I'm gonna be frank with you, going on an internet forum and making a thread admitting you did these things was another mistake.