chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/akie_works/status/1713743514847121758

F8hwbwCWEAAntdw

First of all, Philip has knowledge of everything on Earth thanks to the Gaia Library so its a given that Kamen Rider Double could intuit how the Death Note works. Pretty sure Phoenix Wright's magatama powers could eventually make a panicked Light squeal too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Columbo wouldn't even be in Japan for work. He'd be there on vacation and Light's dad would call him over for dinner (they met at the 1977 Detectives' Ball or some shit) and Columbo will have figured out it was Light before the end of the meal.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly insulted that they used the wrong Poirot. Suchet will never be topped.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
Not a detective but Dr. House probably could have figured out how they died, just not the guy writing the names

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
Banned
May 22, 2020
Dunno if I agree with Battler from Umineko. He kind of needs to have everything explained to him so I'm not sure he'd be able to figure out how the Death Note works on his own. However, he does eventually figure out what's going on.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I see the protagonist of Disco Elysium there. The version of the character I played would certainly solve the case.. ..after fucking up every step before that

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Columbo wouldn't even be in Japan for work. He'd be there on vacation and Light's dad would call him over for dinner (they met at the 1977 Detectives' Ball or some shit) and Columbo will have figured out it was Light before the end of the meal.
We had this conversation with Professor Beef last night and this is basically the thing: Columbo solves this fast. It's low-difficulty compared to what he's usually dealing with.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I would love to read a version of Death Note set in Victorian London from the perspective of Holmes, Watson, and Lestrade, written in the style of Sir ACD.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Conan would absolutely solve the case and intuit the Death Note mechanics in an half-hour episode. (Or three chapters, I dunno. Take your pick.)
Nah, he's too bounded by logic to think about the supernatural aspects of the Death Note. I think that's the best spot for him.

My issue is with Phoenix and Edgeworth being in the same tier. Phoenix is way more in tune with the supernatural aspects of his series, so I think he could find out what the Death Note is all about.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We had this conversation with Professor Beef last night and this is basically the thing: Columbo solves this fast. It's low-difficulty compared to what he's usually dealing with.

Yup. Light is a dumb kid doing dumb kid shit and he thinks he's a genius. Columbo chews up wannabe geniuses on a weekly basis.

He would've noticed that Kira is only killing Japanese people, and particularly Japanese people in major cities with substantial media attention, within five minutes of Light's dad telling him about the case.

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
A huge stumbling block for a lot of them would be finally accepting that the Death Note is of supernatural origin. Even experimenting with its limits, jumping to it being the work of supernatural beings is always going to be a huge leap

Columbo would 100% figure out that Light is involved from talking to him. Light is arrogant and condescending, the perfect Columbo suspect.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Aren't any world famous detectives pretty much fucked the second they're on the Kira case.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Light is a dumb kid doing dumb kid shit and he thinks he's a genius. Columbo chews up wannabe geniuses on a weekly basis.

He would've noticed that Kira is only killing Japanese people, and particularly Japanese people in major cities with substantial media attention, within five minutes of Light's dad telling him about the case.
Please, he'd have noticed it on the airplane ride over as he read the newspaper to keep himself busy during the flight.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
If Light was not a total egomaniac the case would have been literally unsolvable - period.

OP
OP
chaobreaker

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that Light couldn't even kill Columbo if he wanted to. Man has never revealed his full name.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
eh I dunno I feel like Light would kill off most of these people long before they solve shit

i only recently watched the anime on Netflix, goofy but fun and way, way too long. Then I made the mistake of watching the live action. man... that was terrible lol, but in a hilarious way. Casting Willem DaFoe as Ryuk was ... an inspired choice

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
The reason Near could solve the case was because he was willing to make sacrifices not many detectives could make.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
Banned
May 22, 2020

I mean tbf that's Episode 2 level shit. Light does get more clever and more sinister as the story progresses.

LauraLaMer

Banned
Dec 5, 2021
I think most of the smart ones could figure out it was Light, but I'm not sure if they could get solid proof to nail him for it.