Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So a few years ago Atlus remade the first 3 Persona games for PSP(in which we only got 2 localized but that's another story.)

What I'm wondering is why they haven't tried remaking what is essentially Persona 0?
220px-Smt_if.jpg

Just seems odd that the game that more or less started there most popular franchise hasn't recived any kind of attention, even less then Persona 1+2.

Heck they even got costumes in Persona 5.

I don't know this just always struck me as weird.

Oct 27, 2017
They will probably do it when they run out of things to remake.

Is the game worth playing these days? I saw it had a translation patch and was thinking of grabbing a copy and playing it.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
If people wouldn't embrace Persona 1 or 2 (and they certainly didn't on PSP), then they definitely wouldn't give SMT If the time of day. It's not a particularly excellent game, and it's in a completely different kind of style from what people are used to. It did receive a PSX remake and an iOS port, but I don't expect to ever see it again.

As for this:

Just seems odd that the game that more or less started there most popular franchise hasn't recived any kind of attention, even less then Persona 1+2.

That game is Persona 3. People don't care about anything earlier.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They will probably do it when they run out of things to remake.

Is the game worth playing these days? I saw it had a translation patch and was thinking of grabbing a copy and playing it.
From what I've seen it's classic SMT with some twist so if that's your thing I don't see anything wrong with trying it.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I mean SMT1 got an iOS port and that's it in English. It did badly so we never got 2 or if.

So I mean, I blame everyone not buying the iOS port which I don't think you can play anymore.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The issues with SMT if..., I and II could be solved with some QoL, a good map and some balancing. No reason to diss them so hard.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So a few years ago Atlus remade the first 3 Persona games for PSP(in which we only got 2 localized but that's another story.)

What I'm wondering is why they haven't tried remaking what is essentially Persona 0?
220px-Smt_if.jpg

Heck they even got costumes in Persona 5.

I don't know this just always struck me as weird.

Does anyone give a fuck about Persona 1 or 2 ? Why would they give a fuck about a game that doesn't have the persona moniker to begin with ?

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
People who enjoyed P5 will not enjoy going back to old persona games. The old persona games are good games in its own merits, but a bit dated by today Persona's standards.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I have no love for Persona 1+2. I guess it just seems weird to me this game has just been stuck in limbo.

brinstar

Oct 25, 2017
I think on top of the reasons already outlined, it's also been released on the Wii and Wii U virtual consoles. (not sure about PSN) So it's not really completely out of the picture in Japan.

It sucks, I really would love to see Atlus port and localize them to modern stuff, like what they did with Soul Hackers. It also sucks that we never got Devil Summoner

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They can't decide whether it should be arbitrarily Nintendo exclusive because it's called SMT or arbitrarily Sony exclusive because it spawned the Persona series.

Obviously they should remake it as an Xbox exclusive.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I've been playing the recent translation and I feel like it would need a lot more than just a port to be playable. It'd need a lot of redesigning. The later levels are just endlessly frustrating. You literally have a level where you have to wait for about 4 real life hours for the students to dig the level for you. I can't imagine people having patience for it. It has a lot of cool ideas but you don't even get much story wise to motivate you like in other SMT games.

I'm actually wondering if they changed much when they ported it to PS1.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worth remaking but modern Persona is a different beast now. Like Persona 3 on might as well be a different franchise from If and Persona 1 and 2.

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
as one of the uh, three or so english speakers who have finished this game, although it eventually starts to do some kind of interesting stuff with the dungeon design at the VERY END on certain routes, the super nintendo version has a lot of problems and most of the game is super dull, with the guardian system being interesting conceptually and unworkable in practice. like a lot of the dungeon gimmicks actually. it's on a completely different tier from 32-bit persona or the rest of 16-bit smt. i know i would have enjoyed the psx version way more for having actually good new music remixes and not having a general rom-hack feel but it is what it is.

I've been playing the recent translation and I feel like it would need a lot more than just a port to be playable. It'd need a lot of redesigning. The later levels are just endlessly frustrating. You literally have a level where you have to wait for about 4 real life hours for the students to dig the level for you. I can't imagine people having patience for it. It has a lot of cool ideas but you don't even get much story wise to motivate you like in other SMT games.

I'm actually wondering if they changed much when they ported it to PS1.

you don't have to wait 4 real life hours, you just gotta cycle through 8 moons or something, which with estoma is still an unacceptable 20 minutes or so of walking in circles. in the PSX version they halved the amount of time it takes for this as a "solution" but apparently only on the newly added easy difficulty level.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dream Persona game is one that returns to the occultist underpinings of Persona 1 and 2 and gameplay that lets everyone swap Personae.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Most people don't care about P1 or P2 and you expect them to suddenly care about P0.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
If people wouldn't embrace Persona 1 or 2 (and they certainly didn't on PSP), then they definitely wouldn't give SMT If the time of day. It's not a particularly excellent game, and it's in a completely different kind of style from what people are used to. It did receive a PSX remake and an iOS port, but I don't expect to ever see it again.

As for this:

That game is Persona 3. People don't care about anything earlier.
This is basically the reason. Maybe one day they will do a remake that will put it more in line with modern Persona, but I still kind of doubt it. They tried to sort of make the Persona 1 PSP remake go that direction, and that still bombed pretty hard and people preferred Persona 1 with the original music instead of the new music.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My dream Persona game is one that returns to the occultist underpinings of Persona 1 and 2 and gameplay that lets everyone swap Personae.
This, and no Break spells either. Those were such a band-aid to their own problem created by the idea of having only the protagonist change Personas.

IzzyRX