Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Evo 2023 will be the first time ever where the final leg of a tournament will be the Top 6. There was an uproar over the decision, but that got me thinking. As far as I remember, Top 8 has been where tournaments usually start the final leg where every match is streamed. If not, than it's the Top 4. I would like to know if anyone knows when TOs began to choose what the cut off for the final leg of a tournament and why the Top 8 formula was chosen.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
latestcb2013121211342y5e7d.jpg

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
For big tournaments, top 8 is the payout threshold most of the time. It makes sense to have that be its own block.

Also, 8 is a super-even number, leading to a clean-looking bracket.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Evo 2023 will be the first time ever where the final leg of a tournament will be the Top 6. There was an uproar over the decision, but that got me thinking. As far as I remember, Top 8 has been where tournaments usually start the final leg where every match is streamed. If not, than it's the Top 4. I would like to know if anyone knows when TOs began to choose what the cut off for the final leg of a tournament and why the Top 8 formula was chosen.

it has little to do with fighting games and more to do with the fact that most tournaments in general operate on an even numbered structure. Top 8 is simply a concept that makes sense in any reasonable bracket.

8-single-fillable-bracket.png

People were mad at top 6 because it means one of the supposedly most interesting fights of the night won't be shown. I get why they're doing it but...it's not ideal.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
it has little to do with fighting games and more to do with the fact that most tournaments in general operate on an even numbered structure. Top 8 is simply a concept that makes sense in any reasonable bracket.

People were mad at top 6 because it means one of the supposedly most interesting fights of the night won't be shown. I get why they're doing it but...it's not ideal.

This is it.

Super common tournament structure where the quarter finals, semi finals and finals are the 'main event'.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

This.