King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
696ctmzapsaz.jpg

Seriously, this little design quirk has been bugging me for over twenty years and no one has been able to adequately explain them. Is it a pair of birthmarks, eye black, scars from surviving Voldemort's murder of his dad, what are they?

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
That SM design looks like ash wanted to rest so they got an ash imposter to do the whole journey. Looks dumb af. That's on some Juan Cena shit.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh god what the hell is that SM design?

Are the rest of the drawings of that series as bad?

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
They represent his cheeks. By having them squish or expand vertically it gives a bit of extra depth to facial expressions on what is a 2D hexagon.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That SM design looks like ash wanted to rest so they got an ash imposter to do the whole journey. Looks dumb af. That's on some Juan Cena shit.
On the way to Alola, the plane crashed, and everyone was seriously injured. Ash used the opportunity to turn a poor stranger into a double of himself, while he went off to start a new league of his own.

From ALOLA, two champions were born.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
They're basically meant to invoke signs of youthfulness, like scuff marks on his cheeks. It's a fairly common trait for younger characters; Naruto has "whiskers" for the same reason, in addition to making him resemble a fox.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
SM is such a trash design. Still cant get over it :/ the new version looks perfect. Whoever thought SM looks right needs a career change.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch Pokemon, but the SM designs are fine. It's more cartoony and it allows the animation to generally be much more fluid and llow you too do more extreme emotions and cartoony things.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch Pokemon, but the SM designs are fine. It's more cartoony and it allows the animation to generally be much more fluid and llow you too do more extreme emotions and cartoony things.
I don't watch it either but I've seen a metric ton of gifs and videos people link and every time the animation was gorgeous.

It was very inspired for your typical weekly anime.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
90's style scuff to show that he's a rambunctious young boy, kinda like having a plaster on the bridge of the nose or on a cheek.

This line-up almost makes me remember how much i dislike that characters from BW onward have pupils now. Makes their gazes look creepy imo.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
It was just a manga stylistic that represents the character's round cheeks.

It got derailed over time and we ended up with that weird thing on S/M, now I don't know what it's supposed to be anymore.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So you see when Ash was but just a newborn the late Hokage decided to seal a ramping demonic fox into him...

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

Everyone always says this and as an animator I have no idea what they're talking about. Obviously the shift to a rounder and looser art style makes sense but it's his face in S/M that makes him look off-putting and ugly, nothing about his previous facial proportions would have prevented them from doing wackier expressions and fluid movement.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Those appear to be cheek shading or something. Reminds me of this shit:
7lcuSEv.jpg

Found this while searching google images for "anime cheeks":
Hzgc6EN.gif

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
It's just a design quirk to give volume to the cheeks. You can see similar stuff, albeit differently represented, in Akira Toriyama's work.

The lines under Goku's eyes here represent the same thing.

IUwo6l_Q_400x400.jpg

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
SM version looks trash to begin with, but the "whiskers" on that look even more ridiculous. Looks like he has a pair of mustaches on each side of his nose

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can make the animations more fluid and stuff without changing the artstyle as montrous as that.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the people hating on SM design need to watch the damn show. I have never seen a Pokémon series as well animated and lively.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This thread should be about the SM design.
What the hell happened there....I literally burst out laughing as a noticed it.

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Y'all should definitely give the show a couple of watches before making judgement. The battle animations are the highest they've ever been and don't look like the garbage that the other seasons have been peddling for the last 20 years. The comedic stuff they do is great too and the new designs allow for the characters to break model and get loose when needed for added comedic and emotional exaggeration. Helps that the character writing is pretty solid and just makes for a fun show.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Ash's Sun/Moon design is fine given the fluidity of the animation. I dislike the Pokémon anime for plenty of reasons, but mostly because it's just not my kind of show. That said, Ash's design is not the problem.

You all want to see horrifying Ash design, check out the CG for Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution:

EDPyyIRXYAYibeI.jpg:orig

EDPy8OSX4AAjN7F.jpg:orig

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
He has some facial hair. At 10 years old he probably has more facial hair then most of this forum tbh.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
All I know is Ash's SM design looks like dog shit and I wanna kill it with fire every time I see it.

I always thought Pokemon did this stuff okay but whatever the fuck is going on in Naruto is too much for me.

I assume they're sorta like eye bags or skin creases or something.

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
people talking about SM ash withtout even seeing the animation work.

you people suck

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

you people suck

Reminds me of the Wind Walker hate on the initial announcement lol. People hated the art style. After playing it, seeing it's uniqueness, etc etc people loved it.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
SM design would look better without the cheek scribbles; just makes it look like he has a moustache. I think it's alright otherwise, every clip of the show I've seen has looked nice.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
God, I can't believe people are STILL whining about SM's artstyle.

They simplified his design to make it easier to animate, Ash is so much more expressive now.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

you people suck

This has been brought up every single time and it makes no sense to me as another animator said.

There is nothing about the old design that stops it from being animatable. The old design had plenty of over the top animations.

And I see those gifs above and it still looks like shit. Ash's new face just looks hideous to me, I don't care how well animated it is when his face just looks like crap no matter what.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This has been brought up every single time and it makes no sense to me as another animator said.

There is nothing about the old design that stops it from being animatable. The old design had plenty of over the top animations.

And I see those gifs above and it still looks like shit. Ash's new face just looks hideous to me, I don't care how well animated it is when his face just looks like crap no matter what.
nothing stops something to being "animatable"

but if you had seen the series you will now what people is talking about.

and i rather take the opinion of someone who has seen the anime than someone like you, who hasn't

so you are fine to say "i dont like it" it is fine to be wrong