SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Let me begin by saying that backlog wasn't a word in my (granted limited) vocabulary at least until 2018~2019. And it was because of Era that this changed as I kept reading time after time variations of "it's in my backlog I'll play it someday"...

With this limitation in mind, I came to define backlog as: games that one's purchased and means to play someday, but didn't have the time. If that definition is a gross mistake, then this topic doesn't make any sense and was a mistake.

But assuming it isn't wrong, then how can people have such massive backlongs? Of dozens and dozens of games? Surely there is a time when people will stop buying new games if they own many that they have not played before?

I'm honestly curious. Did I make a gross mistake with my definition of backlog? Or do a lot of people simply love buying games?

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
ADHD is a real bitch sometimes.

I went through a wishlisting spree last night on Steam and it took all of my self-control to convince myself that I'll put maybe an hour into them before never coming back to them.

Oct 27, 2017
Let me begin by saying that backlog wasn't a word in my (granted limited) vocabulary at least until 2018~2019. And it was because of Era that this changed as I kept reading time after time variations of "it's in my backlog I'll play it someday"...

With this limitation in mind, I came to define backlog as: games that one's purchased and means to play someday, but didn't have the time. If that definition is a gross mistake, then this topic doesn't make any sense and was a mistake.

But assuming it isn't wrong, then how can people have such massive backlongs? Of dozens and dozens of games? Surely there is a time when people will stop buying new games if they own many that they have not played before?

I'm honestly curious. Did I make a gross mistake with my definition of backlog? Or do a lot of people simply love buying games?

Oh, sweet summer child...

The answer to that question is no.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
My backlog gets bigger and bigger thanks to sales and bundles on PC, that's how.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buying games is addictive, and the flash digital sales help to intensify that.

I have a massive backlog but I'm currently replaying Ocarina of Time for the nth time.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Retail therapy, impulse buying, deep sales.

It's like collecting a library of anything else. You gotta buy to expand the content of the library.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I buy lots of games I have passing interests in and no motivation to play them because I am mentally drained at the end of my work day. I have hundreds of games. Literally hundreds.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Some games take like 20+ hours to complete, while I'm working on that, other games I want to play also release, and I buy them.
So the pile keeps growing

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Well like okay it just kept growing and growing and before I knew it the city ordered me to cut it down due to it being a potential danger to the houses around me if it fell.

So now I'm stuck with a giant log in the my backyard.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
sometimes you want to play the games, but pressing the Play button literally burns you inside...so the safe play is to look at your long list of games and think about when you don't have the anxiety and can relax and play them.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I got money but no time, I spend most of my time off playing with my son or at work but I still like videogames but just never finish them

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, of course time is always a factor. If this was a normal working environment It could be months before I seriously play games, especially in the fall season.

But for me, it's definitely purchasing games based on potential. I played through the Tomb Raider reboot finally this year. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience, but knowing myself, I'm not going to want to wait until the sequel is on sale before I purchase it and play it. I bought the sequel years ago with the intent of when I play the first one, I'll get to the second one.

Sometimes it's like "Well its $13, why not?" and you just impulse buy. I tend to do this for games outside of my general wheelhouse of game genres to get some variety in my gaming. I'm not a big JRPG gamer at all. So I'm not going to spend $60 on one at launch, but if its like $10, I may buy it to eventually check it out when I'm in the mood.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Impulse buying during sales and also just being irresponsibly when I was younger. And also games that I feel are good but at the time weren't good for me to play

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of reasons. Always new games coming out, procrastinating / not enough time to play games, sales, etc. Pretty easy to build up a backlog before you even realize it.

ninezeroone

Oct 27, 2017
Also if I have one game in a series and the others go on sale I'll buy them just to complete the collection as long as it's only like $5.

LoNe_eXiLe

Oct 25, 2017
OP, so here is a lesson for you. If you spouse ever tells you "hey you should buy that game it looks neat" or "you should pre-order that game/console" DON'T EVER SAY NO. Even if you play primarily on PC, are taking a break from games, are feeling burnt out on that genre, take them up on it. If you don't that free pass for endless shit you'll never play dries up real fast.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because now that I can afford them I don't have time to play them

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Sales. I buy a game whenever there is a new sale on PSN. I do put a little time into each game I purchase though. I hop from game to game.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Backlog is good. Can you imagine if everyone only buy games after they finished their previous games? I don't think the industry is sustainable that way.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
ADHD is a real bitch sometimes.

I went through a wishlisting spree last night on Steam and it took all of my self-control to convince myself that I'll put maybe an hour into them before never coming back to them.
Impulse buying during sales, and buying bundles on PC.
In my case, sales and procrastination.
Combine these and you have me in a nutshell. Didn't have a backlog until I could buy my own games.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
People are addicted to buying, especially when things are on sale.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Buy games because they are on sale.
Too many too get through all of them quickly.
More games go on sale, don't want to miss a good deal.
Now even more too many to finish.
Repeat forever.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Sometimes I buy games on sales and sometimes I buy a full priced game with the intent of playing it directly but something comes up (another game or something else) and I don't return to it when I want to.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
2 words.
Humble bundle

I keep telling myself I will play them but it just never happens.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Around age 35 or thereabouts my brain never reconciled "hey this is a cool game I should buy it" and.. like, do I really want to play it, like for real though

But thats me

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Buy more games than you could play at a given time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
One observation: I remember in one thread I made I asked if free games count as backlogs (I think we can add subscription services as well) and I got a few answers saying negative. And I agree, that's why in the OP I highlighted that they are games that you meant to play, at least one day. If gamepass count as backlog then suddently I also have 100s games in mine.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have a "game list" compiled of games that I'm interested in. Roughly 300 of the thousands out there.

Whenever one of those games go on a good sale I buy it.
At best I'm lucky if I beat 1 game a month, and depending how good sales are I sometimes end up buying multiple games at once.

Thats how you end up with a backlog 🙃

I include games given via PS+/GWG but not PsNow, eaplay, or gamepass. Those sub services dont count.

GoFightWin01

Jun 7, 2018
To be absolutely honest, I 100% believe I am ADDICTED to buying games. I will be SO EXCITED to buy something random like AC Odysset after it already been out for years, play it for like an hour and never go back. I can't NOT buy a game I'm interested in when it's on a sale... I'm sick, SEND HELP lol i have SO MANY games that I've played for an hour or 2 and never returned to or even intend on returning to.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
It got worse for me once I switched to digital only. Since sales are inconsistent, I feel more of a need to grab a game I want when it's on sale for a good price, since I don't know when it'll be cheap again. Since there are so many great games the last several years, I waste money to save money pretty much, but at least I have that game in case the urge hits me

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Steam sales, humble bundles, less time as an adult, too many games coming out at a time, and RPGs being my prime genre. The perfect storm 😣

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I can't resist a good sale. Simple as that.

I have games still in the shrink wrap; one in particular that would make me the laughing stock of Era.

I've wasted money on far more frivolous shit. Buying a game at $5-20 bucks just because once or twice (or thrice) every so often is what builds a backlog.

Recent example: Amazon had Darksiders:Genesis on sale a couple of months ago for like $10. I was interested, but at $10, it was an instant buy.

Still in the shrink wrap.

Same with Tempest 4000. $5 from Best Buy.

Still in the shrink wrap.

That's just the past 2 to 3 months. Multiply that by 7 years this generation and sprinkle in some digital games and you've got a recipe for a backlog party.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Beating games takes time
Buying games doesn't

This. Plus, you might not have the time to play the game as soon as (or as often as) you want, and then that leads to "oh but this is on sale, I can get it too". It definitely doesn't help if you're interested in multiple genres and have multiple platforms.