Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hi Era,

So i was getting a lot of Retro Console stuff on twitter in the last couple of weeks and somewhere i saw a Virtual Boy pop up.
Next thing I knew i was on ebay and ordered myself one.

This thing has alway been somewhat fascinating to me. Because when i was a Kid i used to read al the news about the upcomming Virtual Boy.
I was so curious about the device and it seemed so futuristic to me and somewhat mysterious and cool looking.
The Virutal Boy ended up never comming out in Europe in the end so i never got the chance to get a hold of one and soon it was a thing of the past.

Ever since this time i always had a lot of nostalgica for this device... Reading about it in the magazines and wondering about that machine.

My days of wonder will soon be over when it sits on my Desk as a collectors piece. Got it with Mario Tennis and Wario Land just to get a look at some games.

2015-12-04-image.png

Last edited:

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Won't go and say you're crazy, its easy to read about something and want it, but the nostalgia for the concept of it will probably go away fast as your eyes tires out from the screens and the red.

ShiftyRat

Oct 27, 2017
I loved my Virtual Boy when I was a kid, despite the headache it gave me every time I used it. I think it's a cool piece of history!

OP
OP
Wordstar

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Won't go and say you're crazy, its easy to read about something and want it, but the nostalgia for the concept of it will probably go away fast as your eyes tires out from the screens and the red.

good thing im not realy wanting to play with it that much and its more of a collectors piece.

Last edited:

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
Was a glorious day walking into Toys R Us and seeing them clear out brand new Virtual Boys with Mario's Tennis for $29.99

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
i remember i could have bought a new virtual boy from target for $50 around the time they knew it was a failure. i wish i could have, but i probably would have sold it by now anyway

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
When i played one years and years ago (just after it launched) I found the 3D to be really good on Mario Tennis.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
I got a Virtual Boy as a gift a few years ago and went on to get a copy of every game released for it in NA

There's only 14 so it was a fun little hobby for a bit. Have only played it once.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'd probably get one just because I'd think it would be funny to do so.

OP
OP
Wordstar

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

boogerbrain51

Nov 3, 2020
You not crazy for buying one. I remember playing the demo unit in sears as a kid and thinking it was insane. I recently put the emulator on my steam deck with the wario game and Tetris too see how it was and yea it was like silly gimmick:(

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I bought one years and years ago for pretty much the same reason. It's such an odd thing that I wanted to experience myself finally.

I had fun with it for those exact reasons. It's not good, but it sure is wild.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Thats exactly what i did... Just went for it... lifes to short and so on

I always was sort of scared of sidequest because i alway thought its some sort of a jailbreak thats not allowed. But i dont realy know what it realy is.

Meta use Sidequest as their official discovery program for App Lab titles. I think if you had anything to worry about regarding its use, they'd have been more careful about creating that association haha

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good get! Awesome novelty of a system and a weird little piece of Nintendo history. Need to find a good place to display mine at some point.

septentrion2

Apr 11, 2023
A friend of mine rented a Virtual Boy for his birthday party when we were in grade school and it was an unforgettable event.
I think we had Teleroboxer and Red Alarm and .. maybe a bowling game? Tennis? Some weird sports-y game.
It was a lot of fun and the controllers are awesome.

I've seen streams of people playing the Wario game on VB and that one looks like a legitimately good game, so check that out if you haven't yet!

Enjoy it, OP 🫡

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
Most of the games sucked but Wario Land was a legit banger. It's a tragedy that it hasn't been remade for better hardware.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
you're crazy, but its okay!

for real though, I have no clue where mine is, or if I even still have it at this point. my sister was asking about it recently, and I told her if she can find it, please take it. I never intend to use it again LOL
since you never got to try it, I can understand the fascination. I got mine second hand from my cousin in ~2000. he was sick of it, and I thought it was the coolest shit I ever saw when I would go to his house. it was a cool idea, just terrible execution

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
Back in like 95? 96? When the VB came out I had a choice between that or a nomad (maybe it was a year after it came out…) as a birthday gift. I choose the Virtual Boy. Eventually ended up with like 7 games for it, played the ever loving daylights out of Wario Land VB. Despite the console being terrible, I still love that system. Two years ago my stand broke and I had to 3d print a new plastic part for it and now it's as good as new! I still pull it out to play every year or so.

latest

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
Wario Land is great, I love that game. Man, I remember me and my sister putting money together to buy this thing when it came out, good times lol.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used my Virtual Boy in years but I'm happy I've got it. It's a wonderfully strange piece of Nintendo history, and if you've got the display space and interest there's no reason not to have one.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoy getting headaches? I remember trying to play this thing as a kid. Was the most insane console I have ever seen to this day. I don't know what Nintendo was thinking.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
Love my VB, kids adore mario tennis and galactic pinball!

Warioland is great of course, worth a playthrough

One of the screen electrical contacts finally came off so I need to send it in for a proper repair

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Unless your unit has been looked at by someone knowledgeable, your headset will eventually have issues where the picture becomes broken or not visible in the one or both eyepieces. There is no stopping this, just an old age / lack of quality on Nintendo's part. But it is fixable!

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Wario Land and Mario Tennis were pretty good but I imagine getting headaches if I had to play them for much more time than the in store demos.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
good thing im not realy wanting to play with it that much and its more of a collectors piece.
If it's this, why would you be crazy? It is a collectors item, plus for collectors, value is in the eye of the beholder.

If it was just straight to play virtual boy, I would say yes you're crazy lol

pje122

Jul 11, 2018
It wasnt cheap thats all im gonna say
Hmmm...
Well, I was asking because maybe I'd be interested in buying it from you if/when you had your fill of it.
But just trying to gauge what sort of amount that would be.

My Virtual Boy experiences were limited to Sears/K-Mart/Blockbuster demo units back in the day. Same as a lot of us here, I would assume.

Last edited: