Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
I fell off the Pokemon train after Gen 4 and finally got back on a decade later and GODDAMN did I miss some dopeass designs:

92fb9debbfb71e2753855cbd03e75336.jpg
823.png

250px-818Inteleon.png

aegislash-shield.jpg

1200px-722Rowlet.png

724.png

I was super afraid of being a snooty "Eh it's okay but Gen 1 and 2 were the best" type fan but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked quite a few of the designs. What's a franchise some of you fell away from for long periods of time and came back to be pleasantly surprised by?

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Gen 4 was definitely a low point design-wise. I'm not the biggest fan of the Gen 5 games, but it's undeniable that they had some killer designs. Overall, I feel that Pokémon designs have been pretty consistent lately, and while there are some that I don't like, it's hard to deny that the vast majority of them are pretty solid.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 3 are my favorite designs. And mostly because how simple and normal most are lol.

Gen 3 overall is rather simplistic due the concept of water and land actually. Then Sky.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Having so many pre-evolutions and evolutions for Pokemon from previous gens makes 4's lineup a bit weak, imo. But in general designs have never been my problem with any Pokemon game.

Deleted member 51608

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Gen 6 had some really solid designs. Many of them give me a Disney vibe with how simple yet effect they are. I do like many of the "Digimon" detailed levels ones tho.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Gen 4 has my favorite designs but I know that's an unconventional opinion, lol.

Gen 8's design definitely felt fresh and exciting. 6/7's designs, while solid, kinda blur together for me. 8 had some really out there and downright weird Pokemon designs - but in a good way!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's some good taste, all of those designs you chose are top tier Pokemon in terms of design
(well, except Intellion, but hey, 1 miss ain't bad)

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Pokemon, generally, has had fantastic designs from game to game. Every generation has it's duff 'mon (though even then, they are always someone's favourite), but GF are pretty consistently designing awesome new monsters to collect.

To answer the question, God Of War. I didn't like the PS2 games much, GoW3 looked more of the same. God Of War (2018) is one of my favourite games on the platform.

Deleted member 3924

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The series just wouldn't be what it is without its strong cartoony creature designs. If they ever tried to shift the art direction to something more realistic, less colourful, it might actually end its popularity.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Pokémon designs have remained so consistently high-quality throughout the gens that it's kinda really impressive when you think about it.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Every time someone mentions Pokémon designs my mind immediately jumps to the Pokémon which is just a set of car keys.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm with you. Gen 7 and 8 have had some of the best designs for Pokémon ever

Deleted member 3924

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you have a 1,000 of anything and you're gonna have a few bum designs.

Klefki isn't even bad (nor were the gen1 creatures based on inanimate objects).
Imagine telling professional artists their design is shit because its a living keychain. I don't even like that one much, but even my least favourite Pokemon still follow strong concepts and design philosophies.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Gen 6 introduced a small roster of new Pokémon but all of them were bangers (ok maybe not the starters).

Inukage

Oct 25, 2017
Down Under
I just love how creative the inanimate object Pokémon designs have come, some of my favourite Pokémon lines

litwick.jpg
1200px-679Honedge.png
854Sinistea.png

Also don't get me started on how much better some of the regional forms are compared to the originals!

026_f2.png
pokemon_zigzagoon_2x.png
083Farfetch%27d-Galar.png
f9d8e9bf04b4c0d06ed0a9e58a87dadcf570d74c.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 61002

Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Klefki isn't even bad (nor were the gen1 creatures based on inanimate objects).
Imagine telling professional artists their design is shit because its a living keychain. I don't even like that one much, but even my least favourite Pokemon still follow strong concepts and design philosophies.

Granted, I just meant that with 1,000+ design there are bound to be some you don't like.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I just realized how Klefki makes no sense. It's a fairy that likes collecting keys when fairies hate/die from metal. Why did it take me so long to figure this out?

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Gen 4 has my favorite designs but I know that's an unconventional opinion, lol.

Gen 4 was great and IDGAF what people say. D&P are also awesome games.

The issue I think is a lot of the "filler" Pokemon are the worst looking ones. But I know damn well no one in here rostered Bidoofs, Buizels or Stunkies either...

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really? Huh never heard of that. Ok it makes some sense now

That's also another thing that helps me with the occasional design I don't care for, just actually knowing what it's referencing. Getting to see the full picture of what they were going for helps a lot

Deleted member 3924

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The issue I think is a lot of the "filler" Pokemon are the worst looking ones. But I know damn well no one in here rostered Bidoofs, Buizels or Stunkies either...

Gen 4 were so slow I quit playing it half way and didn't come back til XY had been out a while. Id probably have had a Bidoof or Buizel though definitely not Stunkie, that thing has a buttface.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
That's also another thing that helps me with the occasional design I don't care for, just actually knowing what it's referencing. Getting to see the full picture of what they were going for helps a lot
I think the Gen 8 fossils are a perfect example of that. People think they're dumb as hell, but then you learn the historical comparison of it and then it's "wow this is actually really clever"

Dracozolt is best :P

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Gen 8 fossils are a perfect example of that. People think they're dumb as hell, but then you learn the historical comparison of it and then it's "wow this is actually really clever"

Dracozolt is best :P

One of my favorite examples of this is Lurantis (though I already liked its design) I'm like, why the hell is this not Bug type, then you look up that it's based on a mantis that camouflages as a flower, and I'm like ohhhhh

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I've actually always liked Klefki it's just never occured to me about Klefki's hoarding of keys didn't make much sense despite me knowing why steel was super effective against fairy types. It's like knowing two facts and not realizing their connection.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I mean I like the Buizel and Stunky families and have had both on my teams before, so I obviously don't agree there, lol.

I'd say the worst part of the gen 4 batch is the glut of legendaries. Despite gen 4 being my favorite, I also think the box art legendaries are some of the ugliest in the series.