ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So I remember a lot of people being excited to learn that Mario Party on the Switch would finally feature online multiplayer, a first in the long-running series. One of the main issues with owning a Mario Party game was always that it only really came into play when you had friends over who wanted to play locally, and for many adults that is a rare proposition. Online play could potentially solve that issue, but then again I'd always imagined that playing a game like Mario Party against faceless online randoms would lack the appeal of playing locally with friends. After all, the actual gameplay mechanics aren't the main draw of Mario Party, but rather the trash-talking and other living room hi-jinks that ensue during local multiplayer sessions.

I don't own Mario Party on Switch, but I've played it a number of times at friends' houses. I think that it's one of the better Mario Party games in a long while, even if it is light on content and desperately in need of some DLC. But to those of you who own the game: do you ever play online? If so, how does it compare to local multiplayer?

super-mario-party-rolls-a-number-five-in-its-uk-charts-debut-fifa-19-still-on-top.jpg

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/5/17942876/super-mario-party-minigames-online-play-nintendo-switch

There's online multiplayer in Super Mario Party, a franchise first. But we wouldn't blame you for skipping over the mode entirely. Instead of having a wide array of the game's entertaining minigames available, Super Mario Party's online mode has less than a dozen total — and on a rotating basis.

The Online Mariothon mode is a free-for-all competition for players worldwide, where players must focus on racking up the most points to place on the leaderboards. Unlike most marathons, this one is more of a sprint; groups of four only get to play five minigames together. These are culled from a list of just 10 different games.

Super Mario Party's main selling point is the wide variety of minigames — there are 84 of them. Only getting to play five minigames with online friends is one thing; that the entire, random selection contains 10 total is another.

Oh, and if you're one of those people really into the basic Mario Party board game, or one of the more exciting cooperative modes exclusive to Super Mario Party? You can't take any of those online, so make sure your friends are cool to convene in real life anytime you want to roll some dice and collect those stars.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
It's not a good game in itself but it can be quite fun when played with others on the couch.
My daughter plays it a lot with her friend.
I didn't even realise it was an online mode but it seems kind of pointless. This is a couch MP game if there ever was one.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly... why would anyone play a Party/Family/Friendsfun game like this online?

Mar 29, 2018
It's not a good game in itself but it can be quite fun when played with others on the couch.
My daughter plays it a lot with her friend.
I didn't even realise it was an online mode but it seems kind of pointless. This is a couch MP game if there ever was one.
You should set up a few cameras and remake Giant Bomb's Mario Party sessions with your daughter and her friends

I am 100% certain it would be priceless entertainment

That's right, commodify your daughter's childhood

Quinton

Staff Writer at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
The online mode seems terrible. :|

I haven't even bought the game itself yet though. I doubt I ever will unless they add more boards and that seems distinctly doubtful in and of itself.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why isn't the regular game online? How long does a game usually take? Does Nintendo think people wouldn't be interested in playing a longer game online? Weird.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember anyone on this message board being excited about the online multiplayer in this game, since it's not actually the game.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Nintendo fucked this up so bad. I wanted full board games online and also the ability to customise minigames-only play (say, 10x minigames of my choosing).

I ended up just renting the game because the online options were so lacklustre; me and my friends are busy people so getting together for Switch nights isn't that easy.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't need the board game experience necessarily (as I've never been a fan of that anyway), but a simple "first to 5 wins" mode with every mini game available (at least the skill based ones) would have made me play it at least a little bit!

But yeah, the 10 chosen ones aren't even the fun ones, so that was disappointing.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I did for a bit and dropped it. Haven't had much switch time recently. The board game play is too slow for local play, it would be a disaster online. The game could have been amazing but it has too many issues compared to some of the better entries in the franchise

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I mean only the minigames are supported online, what people wanted was the full game to be playable online...
Honestly... why would anyone play a Party/Family/Friendsfun game like this online?
Not everyone has friends and family that live close enough to just go around at a moments notice to play it? In other words they do want to play with friends and family, just online....

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I played the online mode for a good 20 minutes lol. Ever touched it again it's not bad just meh not something I want to invest in

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
You should set up a few cameras and remake Giant Bomb's Mario Party sessions with your daughter and her friends

I am 100% certain it would be priceless entertainment

That's right, commodify your daughter's childhood

Lol.
I have the equipment for this but no, I never put my daughers on youtube.
There is actually new very strict guide lines about this too from youtube. There has been a lots of abuse in this regard in the past.

But they are hilarious to watch. I usually join in too if I'm not too busy and it's a very fun "couch game".

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The online mode sucks ass. It would have at least been passable if it let you play all the minigames online, but it literally lets you play a pool of ten, unevenly shuffled into a rotation of five at a time like it's Splatoon or something. Terrible.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's a fun diversion but doesn't last long.

The fact that in 2018, Mario Party was still being released without a true online mode is disheartening, especially as it was the best in the series since GameCube.

Also disappointing is the fact that Nintendo offered literally zero updates to the game like they did with Mario Tennis, which leads me to believe that they plan on releasing Super Mario Party 2 this fall.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think we've played the game at all since the month of release. I couldn't find matches online in the release month and if I did someone would disconnect.

I still have hope for free DLC but it's probably more likely they go back to releasing annually.