AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017

Coming to 4k this March, but yeah, did anyone actually catch it in theaters?
I very well aware that P. Anderson is an unredeemable POS, but I'm still genuinely curious how this turned out

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
People are able to go to theaters? No I haven't seen the movie myself. Didn't look any good.

nath999

May 7, 2018
I don't believe it got a NA release in theatres. Didn't see anything about it in Canada.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
This really seems like the kind of movie that would've benefitted from the day and date streaming release. Surprised they didn't go that route.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Theatres are closed where I live, so no. Nor would I watch it. It's Paul Anderson crap.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Had no idea it was out.

It has done 16 million WW on a 60 million dollar budget.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Didn't Amazon get heat because they pushed a pre-order live the same day it came out?

I'd happily watch it streaming if it was available to rent/buy somewhere, but not a snowball's chance in hell I'm going into an American movie theater right now.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Theaters aren't open where I live but also, there is no way I would pay money to see that movie.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I tried to get a group together to rent a theater, but no way was I mixing it up with randoms. We didn't get enough people, so I'm waiting for the streaming release

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
Theaters are closed here so the movie hasn't opened yet. I will see it when theaters reopen.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Coming to 4k this March, but yeah, did anyone actually catch it in theaters?
I very well aware that P. Anderson is an unredeemable POS, but I'm still genuinely curious how this turned out

Saw it. Reviewed it.

It's not as good as MK or the original RE, but it's not horrible. It's a cheese film that you toss up when it's a slow weekend and you want to see big monsters on screen. Milla is more of a secondary character (which was good). I was a bit disappointed by how much of the film was really just her and the Hunter in a single location. Loved the character designs for the Admiral's ship and crew. Really wish the film had focused on them, would have been much better for it. Was surprised by the inclusion of some brief, but very vivid, body horror.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Here in NZ its safe to go to the theaters, so I went with my nephew who also loves Monster Hunter.

It was actually incredibly fun to see these monsters we knew so well on the big screen, and for the most part it was super faithful.
And the ending actually made me just about jump out of my seat in excitement lol

I'd watch it again

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw it for work. I thought it was all right but I also thought his AvP movie was all right. There's some awful green screen at the very end but that was to be expected. Most of the stuff involving the monsters though is well done. It's a short movie that doesn't have a lot of dialogue. It's mostly survival/horror/action. I was a bit surprised by the horror elements as I never thought the games were trying to be scary.

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
I went on a date to an empty theater sunday evening.

Half the movie is tremors with Diabolos and no Kevin Bacon. The other half of the movie is Ron pearlmans glorious wig, fire effects on everything, and really awful dual wield choreography that came out of surf ninjas.

But Rathalos <333333333

GamerJM

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Saw it was playing at the drive-ins. I didn't, but I was surprised it was even playing there given how little buzz I'd heard. I thought it had only released in China.

OP
OP
AgentOtaku

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it. Reviewed it.

It's not as good as MK or the original RE, but it's not horrible. It's a cheese film that you toss up when it's a slow weekend and you want to see big monsters on screen. Milla is more of a secondary character (which was good). I was a bit disappointed by how much of the film was really just her and the Hunter in a single location. Loved the character designs for the Admiral's ship and crew. Really wish the film had focused on them, would have been much better for it. Was surprised by the inclusion of some brief, but very vivid, body horror.

Thanks man!

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I saw it. Took the lady to the theatre and it was literally the two of us. I actually liked it too, or at least the monster and weapon designs in particular. Was surprised how much World influence was there.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He's got some kind of production deal with Screen Gems, and his movies make money. He's like Uwe Boll but without the German tax loopholes.
He's just so aggressively mediocre. Surprised Capcom trusted him with the MH brand.

RE makes sense since the series has campy roots.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Why do people keep giving Paul WS money to make movies
He's just so aggressively mediocre. Surprised Capcom trusted him with the MH brand.

RE makes sense since the series has campy roots.

I'm not sure if you guys are just joking around, but you honestly don't think they made 7 full feature films if they were not profitable and Capcom was happy with the final product to some degree, right? Hell, Capcom has tried several times to bring that Red Queen stuff into the mainline canon, they clearly like something about what the guy does