Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Yes i'm talking about Chelsea, the Lollipop girl (pun intended)

latest

Her death haunted me for more than a week i swear, it felt so earned, yet so disrespectful, but totally in peace with the universe the author created. The most mind blowing thing is that some random Facebook picture spoiled her death to me, and still it was that painful to watch. But why?
Its a combination of factors:
1- She was an OP character, she was a very skilled assassin that had a BIG kill count, her opponent, Kurome, was the same, with pretty different styles, but on paper they were on the same league.

2- She was positioning herself as the love interest for Tatsumi, yeah, you could tell that Leone and Mine had the hots for Tatsumi, but Chelsea made the more sense since her introduction, i mean, the cold hearted assassin who breaks her shell thanks to the MC, who wouldn't get behind that romance? yeah, pretty old school, but for something like Akame ga Kill this was enough to make a compelling romance, until it didnt happen, on Tatsumi's part, at least. Because she died thinking about him, well, she died FOR him, because she pursued Kurome just to get praised by Night Raid and specially Tatsumi. She made a mistake and she paid dearly.
dl8nluc21lt21.jpg

3- You can't get angry with her death, well, you CAN get angry for being unable to gent angry. I mean that you cant blame the writers, you cant blame plot holes, you cant even get angry at Kurome, because she killed Chelsea in self defense and to avenge the death of a Fallen comrade (Bols)
Kurome gets to the point of near disability after her attack, is not like she walked off from her fight like it was nothing after her "Power up".

cxz_m6qwmaegq6q1.jpg

4- My brain tricked me and made me think that Sheele (girl with glasses) was Chelsea and that the head on the spike would be Sheele's head in later episodes, but i realized the truth when Lubbock tried to stop Chelsea from going against Kurome, my death detector started tingling.

Yes, im on track with Re: Zero
I love Re: Zero and i loved episode 15 and the latest episode with the bunnies, but the return by death plays against the thrill of the deaths
I've watched Attack on Titan, i love it, its my #1 anime of all time, but the amount of Plot armor some characters have is ridiculous. I've also watched Parasyte, Overlord, even Elfen Lied, so that protects me against the argument of "nununununu you got surprised because Lollipop girl was just waifu material"

I couldn't find a decent video with her death without annoying interruptions, sorry this is the best i could find (for those who want to remember)

Last edited:

Peerless

Sep 10, 2018
It was hard for me to get to get attached to anyone in this show when someone dies every 5 seconds. I think I quit watching this show a third through because of it.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Have you seen Gurren Lagann OP?

I'll be honest, Akame Ga Kill was a mildly fun romp, but I couldn't tell you I felt a single thing for any of the characters in it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was hard for me to get to get attached to anyone in this show when someone dies every 5 seconds. I think I quit watching this show a third through because of it.

Yea the show is just edgy for the sake of it. Really teaches you the value of plot armor, that's for damn sure

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It's Hughes from FMA.
that's up there but I would say events in clannad after story easily trump Hughes.

As for Akame Ga kill... none of the deaths were shocking or heart wrenching. The series was so try hard to be edgy that it wasn't a shock when anyone died, it was just a question of when someone would die.

OP
OP

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Poor Chelsea.

Record holder for most death flags raised in a single anime episode.
Yup.
Also, id like to point out that i didn't dislike Akame ga Kill for showing the character pasts near their deaths, i actually liked it a lot, just cut the bullshit and straight to the point, i dont need 3 episodes of flashbacks to decide if i care for a character or not.
The manga was not a best seller, so every episode was precious time, i understood their decision.
You get angry for the lost potential of the characters, like in Halo Reach, and thats good, for me at least.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Akame ga kill had all the right ingredients but probably would've been better served by an additional cour (for a total of 38-40 episodes).

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
What the heck, I watched this series and I don't remember that character at all. Granted, everything in it is pretty forgettable.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
The most bullshit death in the manga finale was Leone, for some stupid reason instead of going to the doctor whose power is literally "i can cure anything except death" she instead decides to go drink while slowly dying and later die in a ditch with no one of her friends knowing

I remember everyone in r/manga hating that part because they made her die just for the sake of it

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
This is the correct answer
I disagree (as posted before) but I don't think Hughes even gets the top credit for me in FMA

I think that would go to
fullmetal-alchemist1.jpg

Hughes has the edge for heart wrenching (mostly due to more set up and a longer fallout from the death), but Nina wins for the shocking part.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
for me ace's death hit me hard because i didn't think oda had the balls to kill off such an important character. the fact that he almost always took back apparent character deaths at the end of all the arcs made me confident in ace living.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree (as posted before) but I don't think Hughes even gets the top credit for me in FMA

I think that would go to
fullmetal-alchemist1.jpg

Hughes has the edge for heart wrenching (mostly due to more set up and a longer fallout from the death), but Nina wins for the shocking part.

Technically they were still alive for a bit!

from Tengen Toppa Gurrenn Lagann, in terms of sheer unexpectedness

This right here is definitely the most shocking, only other thing I can think of that can rival it is
Ace from One Piece

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Show was fun for a one time watch. Not watching it again tho, it felt needlessly cruel at times.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The anime was such a mess compared to the manga I just dont feel the same way at all lol

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This right here is definitely the most shocking, only other thing I can think of that can rival it is
Ace from One Piece
Yeah that's a damn major one

After something like ten years you think you know a series\author, but then you realize you don't.

OP
OP

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Akame ga kill had all the right ingredients but probably would've been better served by an additional cour (for a total of 38-40 episodes).
Yes, this would have fixed a lot of things with the rushed ending, and the Wild Hunt arc was MUCH NEEDED, it gives another view on the Jaegers, which makes their deaths even more tragic when we learn that there are worse people than them.

Also, for anime only people, Lubbock's death in manga is even worse than Chelsea and Sheele combined, i wont post pictures because its pretty gory, but is not just his death, its everything leading up to it.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Quick power level question from someone who didn't actually watch the show, but only watched clips on YouTube. How did dragon armor whatever it was Tatsumi compare to Akame and Esdeath at the end? Stronger, weaker, equal?

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the main character turned into a dragon or something and fell in love with a literal brain dead tsundere i think.

OP
OP

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
The most bullshit death in the manga finale was Leone, for some stupid reason instead of going to the doctor whose power is literally "i can cure anything except death" she instead decides to go drink while slowly dying and later die in a ditch with no one of her friends knowing

I remember everyone in r/manga hating that part because they made her die just for the sake of it
I can't argue against that, Leone's death was indeed stupid and made no sense.
I couldnt find plot holes in the other deaths, but Leone's was a pretty big plot hole by itself.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
NARUTO SHIPPUDEN SPOILERS (please, don't answer me with further spoilers from Naruto Shippuden. I'm still watching it, currently at the 161th episode).

Asuma's death was the one that hit me the hardest, specially because of the way Shikamaru and Choji reacted, and all that story with Kurenai. That scene with Shikamaru and his dad at home, the way it builds the tension ending with Shikamaru's angst bursting to the surface, the face he makes when he falls apart and his father closing the door saying "I'll pick up you pieces" or something like that, it was a moment of brilliance that I've never seen in any other anime.

OP
OP

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Quick power level question from someone who didn't actually watch the show, but only watched clips on YouTube. How did dragon armor whatever it was Tatsumi compare to Akame and Esdeath at the end? Stronger, weaker, equal?
Cant answer that, sorry, im on the Wild Hunt arc, but i put the manga on hold because i started school and havent find the time to keep reading.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Man I liked this show but something about it didn't sit right with me. I felt like it could have been much better.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to feel bad or shocked considering how often people die in edgy ways in this show. The manga is even worse with shit like a child rapist clown.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good series, no idea what some people are on about "shocking for shocking sake." The main character deaths are earned and every fight has meaning and consequence. Not every show has to be dragon ball.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a good series, no idea what some people are on about "shocking for shocking sake." The main character deaths are earned and every fight has meaning and consequence. Not every show has to be dragon ball.
Well, except the blonde cat lady dying at the end. That was kind of BS, she just wandered around town for hours bleeding out before dying instead of seeking medical attention. The enemy had already been defeated by then too iirc.

OP
OP

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Yeah, thats my point, only Leone's death (and maybe Kurome's) was unearned, out of 10 MC deaths (Villains and "Heroes") thats a fuckin excelent number.
But we are fighting a lost fight in here, AGK is hated to death for being "edgy", Myanimelist rating says it all.