SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I recently started getting dragged to concerts with a friend and now it turns out I'm actually into this stuff? Go figure. I hated "band culture" as a kid, so I avoided getting into any mainstream music and missed out on a lot. Yes, I was that kid. I know, I was a loser.

I'm talking stuff like A Day to Remember, Fallout Boy, Pierce the Veil, My Chemical Romance, etc. But not just stuff from this time period. For example, I found a band called Fire from the Gods that's current and kind of reminds me of this stuff.

Actually, current stuff would be better.

Thanks, and if you make fun of me it's karma for judging others' taste in music as a kid.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I'd argue A Day to Remember and Pierce the Veil are more post hardcore and/or Metalcore than "emo"

Try Circa Survive and Thousand Below. Both are post hardcore and Thousand below is a mix of post hardcore and Metalcore (depends on album).

If you want mega juicy riffs and harder stuff, try Silent Planet, Invent Animate, and Currents. All Metalcore and have djent influences, closer to the harder & older a Day to Remember stuff.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What was the concert?

I don't mean to be a gatekeeping asshole but I think what you're looking for is pop punk (Fall Out Boy) and metalcore (ADTR, Pierce the Veil).

Check out Alkaline Trio's "Crimson" for some good pop punk that leans emo and Underoath's "They're Only Chasing Safety" for some good metalcore.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
So you basically want a VANS Warped Tour playlist

The Juliana Theory
Mae
Anberlin
A Static Lullaby
Curcive
Senses Fail
Spitalfield
Taking Back Sunday
Thursday
Thrice
Underoath
Memphis May Fire
Woe, Is Me

Last edited:

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
Really can't go wrong with Yellowcard. I'm not sure if Sugarcult would be considered emo (some stuff is a little more pop, but if Fallout Boy counts, they should as well) but I'd check them out, too.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I loved HIM during my emo phase. I still stick on a track from time to time - Ville has awesome vocals. Razorblade Romance is probably a good starting point
417273.jpg

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
Say Anything - In Defense of the Genre is a pretty decent Emo starting point.
In_Defense_of_the_Genre.jpg

And then listen to ...Is A Real Boy and ...Was a Real Boy as well just to cover your bases.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Haste the Day - Attack of the Wolf King goes hard if you like that SCREAMING YESSIR

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I like a ton of this stuff and listen to it a lot, but I rarely think of it as "emo". When I hear emo there is one song that comes to mind: "Ohio is for Lovers" by Hawthorne Heights. It's the quintessential emo song for me, and it freaking rocks also.

youtu.be

Hawthorne Heights - Ohio Is for Lovers (Official Video)

Hawthorne Heights' official music video for 'Ohio Is For Lovers'. Click to listen to Hawthorne Heights on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/HawthorneHSpotify?IQid=...

Oct 28, 2017
I know you mentioned them but Welcome to the Black Parade is one of the 30 best albums I have ever heard.

Also Panic at the Disco's first album was pretty solid.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty addicted to Pandora by SiM (who did the Attack on Titan S4P2 theme) - I'm not sure how emo it is, has shades of it but also Jimmy Eat World/Sum 41 vibes often dipping into thrashy metal.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Probably my favorite album from last year, band is called Anxious:

www.youtube.com

Anxious - "Call From You" (Official Music Video)

"Call From you" by Anxious, the band's new single out now via Run For Cover RecordsPre-order 'Call From You' and Anxious merch: http://smarturl.it/ANX-CFYLyr...

Probably my favorite album from 2 years ago, band is called Spanish Love Songs. They should have a new album this year.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spitalfield
Brand New
Funeral for a Friend
Alexisonfire
The Early November
Four Year Strong
Armor for Sleep
Boys Night Out
Motion City Soundtrack
The Starting Line
Thrice
Midtown
Silverstein
Glassjaw
Jimmy Eat World
Northstar
Hidden in Plain View
Hawthrone Heights
Thursday
Circa Survive
Saosin
Taking Back Sunday
The Postal Service
Further Seems Forever
Coheed and Cambria
Matchbook Romance
The Format
Anberlin
Emery
American Football
Closure in Moscow
The Story So Far
The Wonder Years

That should keep you busy for a bit, but I have more recommendations if needed.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Check out riserecords youtube channel as well, they generally sign artists who are on the same wavelength as the ones you listed in your OP

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Spitalfield
Brand New
Funeral for a Friend
Alexisonfire
The Early November
Four Year Strong
Armor for Sleep
Boys Night Out
Motion City Soundtrack
The Starting Line
Thrice
Midtown
Silverstein
Glassjaw
Jimmy Eat World
Northstar
Hidden in Plain View
Hawthrone Heights
Thursday
Circa Survive
Saosin
Taking Back Sunday
The Postal Service
Further Seems Forever
Coheed and Cambria
Matchbook Romance
The Format
Anberlin
Emery
American Football
Closure in Moscow
The Story So Far
The Wonder Years

That should keep you busy for a bit, but I have more recommendations if needed.
I wouldn't call Coheed and Cambria emo. Maybe their first album, but even there it's emo in the sense that it sounds similar to emo bands of the time, and thematically isn't really emo at all. Coheed is more prog rock and punk pop than emo, especially now.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Coheed and Cambria. They are more akin to prog rock with "emo" elements to some of their songs. Oh, and all their albums, except for one, have been based in a single conceptual sci-fi universe and they are telling this sprawling epic that might be taking place over thousands of years. They have comics and novels out that tell the story in more detail.

The song a lot of "emo kids" loved and that got them lumped into the genre:

View: https://youtu.be/oFObU6-qN_k

This is the pinnacle of their current output:

View: https://youtu.be/WscFSf_OjHA

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't call Coheed and Cambria emo. Maybe their first album, but even there it's emo in the sense that it sounds similar to emo bands of the time, and thematically isn't really emo at all. Coheed is more prog rock and punk pop than emo, especially now.

I mean, if you want to argue semantics, half those bands can be lumped into some other genre. They all fall under the wide umbrella of emo at one point or another. No band stays static, but there are plenty of recent Coheed songs that I'd categorize as emo. They are just a diverse band.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Circa Survive's first two albums

- YouTube

- YouTube

Their entire discography is stellar, but the early 2000s "emo" vibe comes off at the third album going forward

Oct 25, 2017
How all these bands that don't sound like Dashboard Confessional or Sunny Day Real Estate getting labeled as emo is beyond me.

They're so good.

Because genre's evolve and unlike metal, people in punk/hardcore don't get bogged down with 800 micro genre's just to be ultra pedantic. And if you really wanna play the "sounds like" card here, Dashboard would 100% not be considered emo by purists.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
I created the "Emo Forever" playlist on Spotify in beta in 2011, and they stole it from me and made it shit.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a comfortable thread. Finally, a place where I can thrive and relive my worse years in the comfort of music I love

Even the people arguing emo semantics. I never stopped missing you

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Always my favorite emo song

Thursday - Jet Black New Year
View: https://youtu.be/lqcZSQ1WtDY

- YouTube

I saw them last month and everyone went nuts when they played it.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Probably my favorite album from 2 years ago, band is called Spanish Love Songs. They should have a new album this year.

- YouTube

This band has a real chance of being special - can't wait to see what they do next.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you like Spanish love Songs, The Holtier are another that are similar and have some great songs.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Listen to Brandtson's Send Us A Signal

Spanish Love Song's Brave Faces Everyone

The World Is A Beautiful Place and I Am No Longer Afraid To Die's Harmlessness

I Hate Myself's Ten Songs