--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
EuSFZZvXIAIKtI_

Those looking for a critical perspective on the Iraq War should steer clear of Six Days in Fallujah. The controversial first-person shooter seeks to portray one of the bloodiest battles in American history, one that cost the lives of United States and allied forces as well as thousands of Iraqi citizens in 2004. Originally announced in 2009, the game was dropped by publisher Konami due to the objections of the families of service members killed during the Iraq War. In the 12 years since, public opinion has demonstrably shifted against that war.

"I think reasonable people can disagree with that," he told Polygon of his narrative strategy. "For us as a team, it is really about helping players understand the complexity of urban combat. It's about the experiences of that individual that is now there because of political decisions. And we do want to show how choices that are made by policymakers affect the choices that [a Marine] needs to make on the battlefield. Just as that [Marine] cannot second-guess the choices by the policymakers, we're not trying to make a political commentary about whether or not the war itself was a good or a bad idea."

Looking back on the reasons for the Iraq War itself, many rightly question whether the U.S. military should have been there at all. Did the administration of President George W. Bush mislead the American people and the world in the months before the March 2003 invasion? Was the so-called "coalition of the willing" duped or otherwise incentivized into following along? Tamte isn't interested in those questions.

He's also not interested in portraying the alleged atrocities that may have been committed there.

Working with an American journalist in Iraq — whose name is being withheld for their safety, according to Tamte — developer Highwire Games has interviewed dozens of civilians who lived through the fighting. Their stories will give the game its parallel storyline where players will take on the role of a father trying to lead his family to safety. That family's story will overlap with U.S. forces in the game.

"This is as an unarmed Iraqi civilian," Tamte stressed. "We do not at any point ask the player to become an insurgent, to be clear about that. This is an Iraqi civilian who was trying to get his family out of the city during the battle."

www.polygon.com

Six Days in Fallujah ‘not trying to make a political commentary,’ creator says

An interview with the publisher of the controversial Iraq War shooter

What a load of bullshit, lmfao.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Uhuh. Alright. Got it. For sure. Not at all. Literally impossible. No way a game covering this subject could be political to begin with. That's silly. Haha. Silly gamer.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Every time a dev says this, my immediate re-translation is "We are presenting a political point of view so harmful, destructive and asinine that we'd rather you not interpret it as a political point of view at all."

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
[Releases video game about bloodiest battle of politically controversial war]

"It's not political, guys!"

I'm insulted that they even thought they could gaslight people this easily. Motherfucker if you weren't interested in a political backdrop for your first person shooter, maybe make something up instead of using a real thing that actually happened

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said this in the announcement thread but this needs to be a banned game on Era post-release. It's transparently propaganda and there are war on terror victims who use this site.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
I know it's american propaganda, but damn I will still play it. There's just something special about how americans see war. Lone Survivor is a cheesy war movie where they depicted what happened in the most exaggerated way possible, but I find just soo entertaining.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
You don't get to tell a story based on real events and don't be political. When you make a game about an American war operation you have 2 options:
  1. Tell the true story, no matter how awful and how many war criminals it would piss of
  2. "American, fuck yeah!" bullshit
Quite clear they're going with #2.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Listen pachinko and health clubs really shit the bed last year and we just need something to hit next quarter, don't think about it too much." Not actually Konami related.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
The year is 2041, and Activision has announced Call Of Duty: Shitstain Rebellion

"In this game you can play either as the DC police, or the white supremacists, but there's no political commentary here"

lol_not_ok

Mar 30, 2019
So many Americans have accepted our endless wars/conflicts as a thing that has to exist by default that some probably do think of this as apolitical and can't recognize the obvious propaganda of this and Call of Duty.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I was planning on reserving my judgement until the game released, but yeah I don't think I can anymore. What even is this interview? "Yeah we're not gonna talk about the war crimes because those that committed them said that they didn't."

What?

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
"Listen pachinko and health clubs really shit the bed last year and we just need something to hit next quarter, don't think about it too much."

This is not related to Konami in any way apart from then canning the project 12 years ago.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh?

Then what is this game trying to do? Let you go to Iraq to kill brown people for fun? Fuck off.
Instead, their first-person shooter will try to engender empathy for American troops in the field, for their work destroying the insurgents that dug in throughout Fallujah, and for the civilians trapped in between.
Imagine thinking that's the best decision.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
David Cage: Detroit has nothing to do with racism

Also David Cage:
3VY2HcuWh0Enj4s2h6cEvDRrY0DKI6WdYlW7bpKrE1fY4kpfW6XC2Nlrdi76XCJ8N-9gQu52e8QeMk1pgR4hEQGToDI2KMaMr9pwWZ6g5gETve9jD-ZeYgF5QO3fEAB1jv_DeeKWvg2pqVyilzk5Ud6alrd_P1U

EEMxugW.png

DBH-We-Have-a-Dream-1024x576.jpg

vlwgfgbfqc951.png

Freedom_March_04.jpg

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I am usually for leaving dev's alone but yeah these people need to be roasted to the end of time for this dumbass propaganda. Either they are DoD shills or just having politics so astoundingly naive they need to be roasted til the end of time.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Pfffffft HAHAHAHAHAHA

The bullshit that comes out of their mouths deserves nothing more than outright laughter.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I think the coarse dismissal of this is a little unfortunate. There could be a good, and honest, debate about this topic. Certainly, when the game was initially being designed/launched it was definitely political but it's been 15+ years. I am not sure what the mythical boundary video games from political commentary to "historical fiction". I mean, hell, people are blowing each other up in hundreds of historical video games daily - battlefield, etc. I remember playing Platoon on my friends Tandy in the mid-80s. That was around the same timescale difference, and Vietnam was extremely political (Platoon as a movie was as well... and in the game you have to kill another GI as the "boss").

I don't know what the right answer is - and video games let us explore complex ideas and provide insights to war/combat/etc in ways that no textbook can. If it's handled correctly that is - not sure if this is that case. But "they can fuck right off" without playing it or really thinking through it doesn't lend itself to the right discourse nor the potential videos games - as a medium - can provide society to think through these things.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It only replays a controversial battle from a controversial, illegal war sparked by a Republican President to finish what his Dad started.

Yeah, not political whatsoever.