• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
He can be right and wrong at the same time. Are there people in the world that jump to be offended, especially on behalf of others? Sure. Does that dismiss all criticisms. Certainly not. This stance just avoids actually having to do any sort of reflection.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell do you think this thread is about? What do you think people mean when they talk about fake outrage? It's always about some social issue. Stop playing dumb

You are determined to be angry and outraged by the topic, the other persons post, and plenty more in the future im sure. Nothing will change your perspective, I won't be trying.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Usually grown ass white men accusing others of being ofended for everything usually act more offended than any other minority or the people that they criticize so much.

Pathetic.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
There sure do seem to be a lot of people just looking to be offended and upset about something that they could respond to reasonably and rationally instead of behaving like overly defensive weirdos and getting bent out of a shape about a documentary they only recently discovered exists and still have no intention of watching because they already assume its ideas and ideals don't align with their own.

Perhaps he's onto something, just not quite the something he thinks.

I dropped the show over 15 years ago because of this very same issue. Matt can go fuck himself.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a not insignificant portion of people who are actually faking outrage and making incredibly over the top statements were just altright trolls trying to make the people who actually do care look bad and cause responses like this

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
Yeah Matt it's so fun to be offended/outraged/whatever. Definitely not exhausting or depressing at all, it's just so much fun to pretend. The real heroes are the people who just shrug their shoulders and say "can't please everyone". Yup.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I hate this arguement, because it asserts that you speak for all visible minorities on the issue. It also ignores that people can have empathy and concern. I think it could be argued that it's wrong for other groups to speak for a minority on the issue without asking their input as a larger group first (and this doesn't mean asking one indian guy in a case like this and calling it a day), but this was an issue specifically brought up by the group in question so that's not an issue at all in this case

I don't think I asserted that anywhere in my statement, but only mentioned that I speak from life experience in response to the aggressive response to my post that suggested my opinion didn't matter.
Yet you find problem with my statement not theirs.

Are we policing thought or is this a discussion forum?

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are posters bringing up white people getting offended for indians when the source of this argument is a documentary by an indian film maker featuring other indians offering their opinion of Apu?

Apparently white people being aware of the issue equals fake outrage, which then cancels out concerns that minorities have

Or something

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Matt's 100% right.

The criticism is getting ridiculous now
In what way with it ridiculous? All The Problem with Apu asks is that people take the time to watch, and consider the impact that the character has had on the lives of Indian Americans. That doesn't sound that ridiculous to me. It ain't about the Simpsons needing to be canceled, or the character needing to be removed, or any of that. But rather just taking the time to listen. Taking the time to allow people to have their voices be heard, and for the effect the character has had on them to be recognized.

That's all. From there, what people do with that information is completely up to them. But the important thing to take the time to listen and accept those peoples stories and the way the character has impacted them, regardless of whether you feel anything more beyond that should be done. Just take the time to the listen, and let people's voices be heard, and listen to there stories.

That shouldn't be too much to ask at all. That shouldn't be seen as ridiculous at all. And yet, it is anyway, and that's tragic, frustrating, and disheartening that it's so hard to get people to even take that first step.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Receipts on the bolded?
I mean again, this is probably true, but only as a technicality of the demographics where just having 2% of America's white population complaining about it would be enough to almost double the amount of indian americans who could talk about it even if we assumed all Indian Americans were, which is why that arguement is pointless

Oct 25, 2017
México
User Banned (1 day): Broad generalization about other cultures. Handwaving criticism from an Indian American on Indian American issues. Previously warned for the same infraction.
I don't like to generalize, but this is mostly a situation I have seen in the US. Seriously... people in the US gets offended by everything... and what's worse is that they like to get offended in behalf of other countries/persons.

I don't get offended by the Bumblebee Man... in fact, all the people in Mexico I know likes him.

The outrage you read on the internet are mostly white privileged americans with no real problems, trying to get involved in something. And I get... I appreciate the act. But seriously, none of that is offensive for the rest of the world.

In fact, we wish to have those kind of problems.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Documentary was made by an Indian Filmmaker.

On top of that who gives a shit who is the majority of the people taking a stand. The people who enjoyed blackface and dehumanizing Black people as entertaining monkeys etc. would still be doing it today if they could get away with but enough people realized it was horrific behavior and decided it was no longer an acceptable behavior.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I asserted that anywhere in my statement, but only mentioned that I speak from life experience in response to the aggressive response to my post that suggested my opinion didn't matter.
Yet you find problem with my statement not theirs.

Are we policing thought or is this a discussion forum?
I do think some people are being super agressive and immature on the issue and that this is problematic. I think those people have already been addressed enough in this thread, and frankly many of those are trolls who are just trying to stir up shit and get a response

Oct 29, 2017
I mean again, this is probably true, but only as a technicality of the demographics where just having 2% of America's white population complaining about it would be enough to almost double the amount of indian americans who could talk about it even if we assumed all Indian Americans were, which is why that arguement is pointless

I suppose, but like the actual documentary asks South Asian people. "Only white people care about this" seems like a willfully disingenuous argument to take.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to generslizd, but this is mostly a situation I have seen in the US. Seriously... people in the US gets offended by everything... and what's worse is that they like to get offended in behalf of other countries/persons.

I don't get offended by the Bumblebee Man... in fact, all the people in Mexico I know likes him.

The outrage you read on the internet ar mostly white privileged americans with no real problems, trying to get involved in something. And I get... I appreciate the act. But seriously, none of that is offensive for the rest of the world.

since you're Mexican how many times have you heard someone make an AYE DIOS MIO joke to you like how Indians hear THANK YOU COME AGAIN all the time

I'm Latino too but Bumblebee Man isn't a problem because he's already based on an established pop culture figure, Chapulin

Gaga Dead Aunt

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White people telling minorities what racism is or isn't, a tale as old as old as time.

Anyway, how is it possible that someone can be simultaneously chinless and have multiple chins?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose, but like the actual documentary asks South Asian people. "Only white people care about this" seems like a willfully disingenuous argument to take.
I agree, and my arguement is saying that the majority of the voices are white is also super disingenuous when that's pretty much impossible to avoid given the demographic gap

The Mad Mango

Oct 27, 2017
I'm Indian. While I'm not personally offended by Apu, I very clearly remember the dad of one of my Indian friends disliking The Simpsons because of Apu. This was in the '90s. I also remember that Apu was pretty much the sole representation of Indians in U.S. pop culture at the time. I don't buy the idea that people are faking offense. Apu has been controversial for a long time.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know, comments like this piss me off. Have you done anything in your life as immense as creating a show that's been on the air for around 30 years and is a cultural landmark? Should we dismiss him because you're having a knee jerk reaction to what he said, and decide to go after his age?

I see this a lot with Cameron, Speilberg. People who have made some great works being reduced to 'old.'
Apparently ageism is ok to some people.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
honestly a lot of this thread makes me wish a mod would take a lawnmower to you shitstains

you are literally just grumpy pieces of shit blocking progress, if you arent offended and dont care then just stay out of the fucking conversation! if you are so dead set to have apu stay the same that you are willing to allow the people who are negatively affected by it continue to suffer from the effects, then i mean...fuck you?

why must you waste your effort on maintaining your pointless fucking status quo, just go away and complain to yourselves

Tonedeff

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Arguing in bad faith
You and a few other cats

It's cool though, you're just being consistent
I'm dismissing the concerns of the Indians who brought this issue up? I could've sworn I was talking about the mob mentality surrounding this, and, well, pretty much everything else now, that Matt was talking about. I agree with the doc, if you had bothered to ask, or, you know, first actually gave a shit to.

Oct 25, 2017
México
honestly a lot of this thread makes me wish a mod would take a lawnmower to you shitstains

you are literally just grumpy pieces of shit blocking progress, if you arent offended and dont care then just stay out of the fucking conversation! if you are so dead set to have apu stay the same that you are willing to allow the people who are negatively affected by it continue to suffer from the effects, then i mean...fuck you?

why must you waste your effort on maintaining your pointless fucking status quo, just go away and complain to yourselves
It's a comedy show. The Simpsons is a comedy show. A satire show. They are playing with stereotypes... that's it. There is nothing offensive about the show.

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand the outrage with Apu. There are other minorities that have been stereotyped by The Simpsons (Japanese, Scottish, Chinese, etc.) yet this random Indian comedian goes and starts 'The Problem with Apu' and it brings a massive outrage to the show that people have loved for 24ish years.

Can't comment on how his feelings were affected with Apu 24 years ago but the popularity with The Simpsons has died down and my fellow Indian friends don't even get any racist remarks relating to Apu anymore. It honestly isn't relevant in today's society yet we're blowing irrelevant things out of water. Just let the show keep going and if people are "outraged", the ratings will die down.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Ways out of this mess:

- Have Apu killed in a robbery
- Have Apu become mute somehow
- Have Apu go through a language class that gives him a perfect American accent
- Hire an Indian voice actor to retain the accent wihout exaggarating it
- Double down with rude remarks until the issue is forgotten about eventually
How's it a mess? It's the first time people have been talking about The Simpson's in over a decade,

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm dismissing the concerns of the Indians who brought this issue up? I could've sworn I was talking about the mob mentality surrounding this, and, well, pretty much everything else now, that Matt was talking about. I agree with the doc, if you had bothered to ask, or, you know, actually gave a shit to.

Word

You didn't offer that info in your initial post but w/e

I don't like to generalize, but this is mostly a situation I have seen in the US. Seriously... people in the US gets offended by everything... and what's worse is that they like to get offended in behalf of other countries/persons.

The outrage you read on the internet are mostly white privileged americans with no real problems, trying to get involved in something. And I get... I appreciate the act. But seriously, none of that is offensive for the rest of the world.

Once again, what inspired this critique of Apu is a documentary featuring the opinions of PoC, it wasn't driven by white people.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm dismissing the concerns of the Indians who brought this issue up? I could've sworn I was talking about the mob mentality surrounding this, and, well, pretty much everything else now, that Matt was talking about. I agree with the doc, if you had bothered to ask, or, you know, actually gave a shit to.
The thing is, I don't think many people in this thread are denying that a mob mentality and outrage culture exists. We're saying that it's pointless to bring it up in this context, especially without addressing the actual criticism since it's pretty much downplaying the real concerns as non existent because a few assholes like to fake concern to feel superior. It's dodging the issue in this context at best, and actively discrediting the people who legitimately are being hurt by the situation at worst

The Ummah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't understand the outrage with Apu. There are other minorities that have been stereotyped by The Simpsons (Japanese, Scottish, Chinese, etc.) yet this random Indian comedian goes and starts 'The Problem with Apu' and it brings a massive outrage to the show that people have loved for 24ish years.

Can't comment on how his feelings were affected with Apu 24 years ago but the popularity with The Simpsons has died down and my fellow Indian friends don't even get any racist remarks relating to Apu anymore. It honestly isn't relevant in today's society yet we're blowing irrelevant things out of water. Just let the show keep going and if people are "outraged", the ratings will die down.
There's been plenty of articles written about how offensive Willy is.

Status
Not open for further replies.