Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

Breaking on Japanese media so far. He died from pneumonia. Will post an English source later

Rip legend

Edit: title meant to say Dragon Ball, Kamen Rider, etcetera. Can a mod help?

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Damn, Kikuchi's works were fantastic.

Between this and losing Seiji Yokoyama back in 2017, we're losing too many greats from Toei's golden age.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
No no no :(

Kikuchi is an absolute legend and composed some of my favorite music ever. Iconic track after iconic track from Dragon Ball to DBZ to the movies.

i was so looking forward to seeing the symphony play his music live, until the pandemic ruined things.

RIP legend :(

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man. Fucking RIP. Literally the sounds of my childhood...can still hear remember most of his DB music in my head.

Last edited:

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
RIP :(

HUGE part of the Dragon Ball appeal for me. I find it fascinating that americans got a bizarre butchered version with different music that still was successful.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Absolute legend. Dragon Ball just isn't the same without his work. To me he's as iconic as John Williams on Star Wars.

He lived a good long life, at least. Rest in peace, king.

RIP to a legend

His work is great. This track in particular is amazing.

Kikuchi didn't compose that song.

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
Rest In Peace. This man is a legend, and defined the auditory experience to possibly one of the most important anime to ever exist.

His music will always be Dragon Ball to me, and I count myself lucky to have been able to experience it.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck. That's part of my childhood dead. Rest in peace.

Absolute legend. Dragon Ball just isn't the same without his work. To me he's as iconic as John Williams on Star Wars.

He lived a good long life, at least. Rest in peace, king.

Yeesss, my favorite song from him. Still inspiring.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yeesss, my favorite song from him. Still inspiring.

It might be mine as well. I get goosebumps every time I hear it.

The Genki Dama theme from movie 7 is also excellent. I always associate this theme with everyone giving their energy against Buu:

SATAN! SATAN! SATAN!

rottenpie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Oh god I just realized, the big 3 composers that were part of my childhood (and basically all my life) are gone now :(

Seiji Yokoyama, Takanori Arisawa and now Shunsuke Kikuchi 😔 May them rest in peace.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

"You have a good, long sleep. When you awake, everything will likely be over. Though I may not be around."

"...I'm not going to hell alone! I'll take all of you with me!"

One of my all time favorite scenes in Dragon Ball and it isn't half of what it is without Kikuchi's work here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Wow, his work in Dragon Ball basically shaped a huge part of my childhood. RIP, legend.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Great composer, his work won't be forgotten anytime soon.

Hope he rests in peace.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
RIP

His music will always be a part of my childhood. I really like his Cell theme.

Oct 25, 2017
RIP to an absolute music legend. His tracks helped define Kamen Rider and Dragon Ball and give them their own flavor.
Music so good that it's still used today (as per DBZ Kakarot).