Should we bring 'em back or nah?

• We shouldn't "play god" due to moral/practical concerns

Votes: 82 14.3%
  • We should do it only for certain animals, judged case-by-case

Votes: 309 53.7%
  • Bring as many back as possible. From the wooly mammoth to random bugs.

Votes: 184 32.0%

• Total voters

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Let's assume technology is completely ironed out and humans could bring back animals big and small if we so chose.

Should we do it? I'm sure this has been debated ad nauseam but I'm curious to know what Era thinks. Why or why not?

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
If we are responsible sure but if they got extinct on their own no.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yes im 100% in support of this. This technology could also help us eventually clone people from the past.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
WK9Nven.gif

Bring him back.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Wouldn't they just basically be high-tech invasive species? It'd probably end up doing more harm than good

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Best not to fuck with it. We've already fucked with it too much

Oct 22, 2020
I think it depends on the proximity of the extinction.

If an ecosystem has fully adapted to the absence of a certain species, it could be extremely destructive to bring it back.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
It depends if the ecosystem has adapted without them and what disruption their reintroduction could cause.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Wouldn't they just basically be high-tech invasive species? It'd probably end up doing more harm than good
I think it depends on the proximity of the extinction.

If an ecosystem has fully adapted to the absence of a certain species, it could be extremely destructive to bring it back.
This would be my only concern. You can't just dump long-extinct species into the ecosystem, it would be a disaster for extant wildlife.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
It's a complex answer that requires more than a simple yes or no. If you bring back an extinct species you have to find a habitat for them. The habitat for that species could already be occupied. Not to mention how much it would cost to create tens of thousands to millions of animals. You would then have to answer for the new stress put on the local equilibrium.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Anything either directly (hunting) or indirectly (climate change) killed by humans should absolutely be brought back if we could. The problem is that the majority of extinctions are through habitat loss, and it's unlikely that habitat has suddenly been undeveloped... So that's dooming a species to just be zoo bound.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
The animus isn't real. You can't 1 to 1 a person like that, at least not with how cloning currently works

there's more to "cloning people from the past" than their memories..............

if we could clone Leonardo Da Vinci, we could see what he probably actually looked like on top of other interesting observations.

or if we cloned Jesus and he brought about the rapture, it could help us prevent global warming

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Anything either directly (hunting) or indirectly (climate change) killed by humans should absolutely be brought back if we could. The problem is that the majority of extinctions are through habitat loss, and it's unlikely that habitat has suddenly been undeveloped... So that's dooming a species to just be zoo bound.
Pretty much. And setting aside some land for an already extinct animal is basically just going to doom another. It's a pointless question I think. Our time should be spent protecting the species still left.

I'm not against it ethically but it's just like you said, we'd be bringing them back to go extinct again or to just live in zoos.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yes im 100% in support of this. This technology could also help us eventually clone people from the past.
Cloning people from the past serves no purpose because you can't revive their memories, knowledge and everything which makes them the person they were. Clone one of the biggest geniuses like Einstein or one of the biggest evils like Hitler, they'd just be a baby like any other.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
We should. Anything we have a DNA sample of that went extinct within the past 100 years should be priority, and then work back to the beginning of the industrial revolution for things we killed off.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a very hard topic. Species Man has killed off unless its one very recently have already change their environments by not being alive anymore. Reintroducing dead predators like the Tasmanian Tiger or less predacious creatures could still easily upset the new balance of nature in those habitats.

Prey that used to fear its hunters have learned to no longer fear due to extinction of the predators etc.

Cloned Animals would almost need to be Genetic Park exhibits for the sake of preserving the already fucked up balance of nature. Unless we found a way to very slowly reintroduce species but then very slow is not a recipe for long term survival

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
If you just randomly bring back species it could serious fuck up eco systems. I think recently extinct animals should be revived in small numbers and let them naturally grow in numbers.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Stuff that's recent like Dodos and Tasmanian tigers are good ideas. Wooly mammoth is a good idea. Maybe not the larger Dinos, but I doubt we'll ever have their DNA regardless.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
This technology will most likely be available long after we colonize other planets within and outside of our solar system. So yes,, but let's dump them on a terraformed planet owned by a Bezos / Zuckerberg type

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
No.

You'll bring something back and I guarantee it would have a negative effect on another species somehow.

Reminds me of how they tried to save those Tasmanian devils only to basically annihilate those penguins.

Humans need to stop trying to play god.

quik killa

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't want this to be done just to keep the animals in zoos and reintroduction into natural ecosystems could be extremely harmful. Our focus should be on protecting our ecosystems and currently threatened/endangered species. If this technology was realized it could also result in less effort to protect extant species.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only if humans killed it due to hunting or overfishing or similar nonsense. Otherwise, let's not fuck with the natural ecosystem. Food chains get fucked enough just by accidentally transporting certain animals from one location to another.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I dunno. It's probably like time-traveling where you'd like to go back into the past to change something and it ends up affecting tons of things. It might be the same with reviving extinct animals where it can mess up something in the echo system.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a place for them in the world outside of captivity?

I would worry that de-extincting animals only to put them in zoos would remove what little concern there is among the broader public about habitat destruction and the loss of wildlife.