• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

No word on that special edition Japan got unfortunately, but here's confirmation of a release date.

Edit: Regarding the box art change:

GUIDELINES
These Guidelines are not intended to restrict or impede creative and/or innovative advertising. Rather, they highlight certain types of content that publishers should avoid when creating qualifying advertising. These Guidelines also are not intended to address or illustrate every type of extreme or offensive content that could lead to a violation; they merely provide illustrative examples.

The following Guidelines are applicable to all qualifying advertising EXCEPT FOR demos, trailers, and videos released on the Internet. For demos, trailers, and videos released on the Internet, any content from the game or live-action or pre-rendered sequences may be included, provided that such content reflects the game's true nature and does not supplement or exceed the Pertinent Content in the game. While not required, ARC strongly recommends that companies adopt an internal set of standards and practices for Internet-distributed trailers and videos, which may include voluntarily adopting the content restrictions outlined in the following Guidelines. Alternatively, should companies choose to do so, they may still submit their trailers and videos to ARC for a determination as to whether the content is consistent with the following Guidelines.

1. VIOLENCE
Graphic and/or excessive depictions of violence
For example: Repeated blows or gun shots inflicted upon people/creatures, violent blows to the head, guns/weapons pointed at head, impaling, exploding body parts, guns/weapons pointed toward reader/audience, depictions of fatal injuries and/or suicide, strangulation/choking, inflicting wounds with swords/knives, kicks to the groin

Last edited:

Chewie

Nov 29, 2017
Hungary
Finally!

Legit excited to revisit Strange Journey with this version. Apparently they fixed tons of the issues the original had.

I wonder if it's still JP dub only, though.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Goooood - great game, must-have for anyone who missed it on DS.

3DS - wont stop, cant stop.

Dont know if ill have the funds to get it at launch, i still have the DS version so im good and might pick it up later down the line.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Finally!

Legit excited to revisit Strange Journey with this version. Apparently they fixed tons of the issues the original had.

I wonder if it's still JP dub only, though.
I don't see anything about the dub, but seeing how they didn't specifically announce English dub, I would expect it is still JP dub only.

I think most people agree the original is still better, but this version definitely has it's perks.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
A bit later than expected but cool.

Still weird that this game ain't getting an english dub but Etrian Odyssey did. Oh well.

I'm very keen to get this game provided it's been made easier. I know, I know, but I already hate the first person dungeon crawling aspect so I don't need any other roadblocks to playing this game.

Wonder if they'll be any sort of goodies given. Radiant Historia has the day 1 edition.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was coming out in March for some reason, but I'm definitely excited for this.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I had this preordered a long time ago when it was first announced on Amazon when there was a good price glitch.

However I cancelled it as over the last few months I have little desire to use my 3ds anymore. As in near 0 desire.

Glad 3ds is still getting games and I want this to sell well, but geeze it almost feels like wasted effort at this point to not also be putting it on Switch. 3ds may have a bigger install base but that doesn't mean they're buying more software. It really does seem like purchasing intent has moved on.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the european release date now ;)

Even with the accessibility improvements, not really, no.
Save
Is it casual-friendly?

It does have Save Anywhere which makes it a little easier, although the Terminals in the original were pretty frequent so I don't think it's a drastic difference as far as that goes. As for the difficulty of everything else, I haven't heard too much. I know they've tried to make the game more accessible. The human art is disappointing though :(

Chewie

Nov 29, 2017
Hungary
I don't see anything about the dub, but seeing how they didn't specifically announce English dub, I would expect it is still JP dub only.

I think most people agree the original is still better, but this version definitely has it's perks.

I know some people aren't too fond of the new human art (understandably, what's weird is that they redesigned Zelenin, yet she still sorta has that Kaneko look), but I'm willing to take the sacrifice in favour of gameplay improvements and NPC portraits (game has very good NPCs for a Megaten game). I've completed SJ on the DS and it certainly has some jank that has now been ironed out with the re-release.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
So how similar or different is this from PERSONA?
It's Shin Megami Tensei, the series Persona was a spinoff of. There's no high school setting, social links, or anything like that. The story is generally more mature, as all the characters are grown adults here (other than some characters that aren't really human in the first place, but I'm not going to go into that). SMT games revolve around an apocalyptic event having taken place or currently taking place. Strange Journey is the latter. There's first person dungeon crawling.

The combat does have similarities to Persona. It involves the demons (the demons used as the Personas in the Persona games). You have to exploit weaknesses to get the most out of the battle system. This one has a system called Demon Co-op, where any demons you have out with the same alignment as the protagonist will get an extra attack with you when you exploit a weakness. You ideally want to have a full party of demons of the same alignment as the protagonist. You get more demons by talking to demons you meet in battles, and negotiating. If you played Persona 5, it's sort of like the negotiation in that game, but there's more to it and you can start negotiating right off the bat. You can also negotiate cease fire, for money, for items, etc. There's fusion as well, and that's similar to how it works in Persona. Certain races being fused makes another race of demon (races are what they have instead of arcanas in SMT).

The original was also quite notorious for it's difficulty. This one is only slightly easier I have heard.

Give it a shot, chances are you might like it, possibly more than Persona.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but it's an Atlus 3DS game, so we can likely expect the first run to be a "special edition" of sorts (special box, limited soundtrack, etc.)

This is pretty much my expectation. A small booklet w/soundtrack, which is typical for the 3DS Atlus games. At least the Atlus-tax extra $10 on the games have ended.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Is it casual-friendly?
I'm not sure of the full changes for Redux, but the original Strange Journey is the hardest and least accessible mainline Megaten game that came out in the West imo. I think SMT4 would be a much easier place to start if you're interested in the series.