Status
Not open for further replies.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Why though? There are so. many. games. out there made by devs who don't put questionable content in their game. You could be rewarding one of them with your purchase. Why reward the dev that you admit has content you don't like? Especially this one trick pony dev who's primarily known for their ridiculous character designs of women.

After all, they aren't doing their customers any favors considering they paid money to depict the people who play their games like this…

View: https://youtu.be/-qXqRELmCT4?si=nB0g7tZt5DX0Pnib

When people on this site were calling Robot game with naked teenagers in cockpit GOTY I wasn't stopping them and I've got no qualms with people excited to play Horse Wife game.

We have different standards for what is acceptable or not and if I'm honest now that I've played the game my only issue with it is a couple of suits (especially the nude one). I don't really get the ick from it the way I get the ick from Bayonetta.

Which, as the post above shows, it's kind of long to have people insinuate you're sexist because you don't see the world EXACTLY as they do.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Also feels weird people bringing up Bayonetta and DMC for this when this is nothing like a character action game. It's mostly just a standard action adventure, even reminds me a lot of old GoW. It clearly sold decently for what it was but its almost obsessive focus on Eve's ass in all marketing and within the Stellar Blade community/videos probably did more to lower its ceiling than anything else.

There's a decent game if you can look past the clunky middling combat, boring story, and cardboard characters, but when so much of the game's focus is purely sex appeal it probably cuts the potential sales a lot.

going by the demo, yes. You play as someone who should be moving like 2B or Raiden, but when you lock onto something, you turn into a snail with a dodge that moves like 2 feet

It's definitely not a true character action game, but like Ninja Gaiden II on Xbox 360, I lump into the genre because it feels similar enough to me.

Shivam

Sep 17, 2022
After all the drama, 2 months and 1 million copies... Luckily Shift Up has money from Nikke

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
For the type of game and new ip, this seems to be a good number. Now we wait for the PC release where it will really have legs.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I know I am repeating myself, but exclusivity harms a game.

Not that 1 million is bad, I think? But they could've done better if the game went multiplatform.

Still waiting for my PC announcement 🤷‍♂️

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know I am repeating myself, but exclusivity harms a game.

Not that 1 million is bad, I think? But they could've done better if the game went multiplatform.

Still waiting for my PC announcement 🤷‍♂️
There's 0 evidence of your statement, especially in this case where the publisher increased the budget and handled marketing.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, the game would sell less if it went to multiple platforms! 😄

You see less and less exclusive games than ever, maybe that is a sign?
That's an overly simplistic way to look at sales trajectory.

Releasing on multiple platforms isn't inherently a guarentee of higher sales, much less for a new IP. Facing less competition can help a game stand out from a crowded release schedule for exemple. And then there's the whole cost to benefit ratio that you need to take into account.

I would say that there's actually more exclusive games than ever before taking into account Steam and PC as a plateform.

Hrist

Jun 30, 2023
So it failed to get half the sales in twice the time compared to the first Horizon, the game the proponents of Stellar Blade claimed was small and unsuccesful.

Pretty hilarious.

Guess being a sexism simulator isn't enough these days. Should've invested in more than mediocre gameplay with jiggle physics.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Uh posters claiming these devs fired employees for being feminists is a pretty damning accusation that requires proof, right? Or are baseless accusations just ok now lol

Don't know if I'll ever pick up this game. I love action but the aesthetic is a pretty big turnoff.

The main proof were tweets from the person who was fired. The tweets have since been deleted. Account probably went private or closed down. So whatever evidence there was is pretty much lost unless someone saved screenshots. What I can say is that it's not the first case of someone getting fired for being a feminist in Korea so it is not outside the realm of plausibility that a Korean video game making company, that thrives on selling games whose main draw are having sexy women in them, would be one of those companies that fire people for being feminists.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
That's an overly simplistic way to look at sales trajectory.

Releasing on multiple platforms isn't inherently a guarentee of higher sales, much less for a new IP. Facing less competition can help a game stand out from a crowded release schedule for exemple. And then there's the whole cost to benefit ratio that you need to take into account.

I would say that there's actually more exclusive games than ever before taking into account Steam and PC as a plateform.

Yes, let's conveniently leave out the platform that every company but Nintendo is releasing their former exclusives on after being forced to do so by increasing development costs couple with its sheer sales potential.

There are zero non-Rockstar examples of games performing better overall by doing delayed multiplatform launches, but oh boy, games underperforming on platforms they release late on? Dozens.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
Uh posters claiming these devs fired employees for being feminists is a pretty damning accusation that requires proof, right? Or are baseless accusations just ok now lol

Don't know if I'll ever pick up this game. I love action but the aesthetic is a pretty big turnoff.
We had a thread about it. The Tweets have since been deleted, though.

www.resetera.com

Former employee of Shift Up (Stellar Blade) accuses the company of harassing her and deleting her work for supporting a feminist hashtag online

https://twitter.com/Gaming_Rukiana_/status/1570961507030298625 https://twitter.com/Gaming_Rukiana_/status/1570961509903400967

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
So it failed to get half the sales in twice the time compared to the first Horizon, the game the proponents of Stellar Blade claimed was small and unsuccesful.

Pretty hilarious.

Guess being a sexism simulator isn't enough these days. Should've invested in more than mediocre gameplay with jiggle physics.
Who claimed Horizon was small and unsuccessful? They're not very bright if they said that. Also, Horizon is a AAA game from a huge western developer with a long history of making console games. SB is a AA game from a much lesser known Korean developer with zero prior experience making console games. Comparing the success of Horizon and SB is like comparing the success of a From game and Lies of P. It's neither a fair nor intelligent comparison.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, let's conveniently leave out the platform that every company but Nintendo is releasing their former exclusives on after being forced to do so by increasing development costs couple with its sheer sales potential.

There are zero non-Rockstar examples of games performing better overall by doing delayed multiplatform launches, but oh boy, games underperforming on platforms they release late on? Dozens.
I guess you misread my post. What I said was that there's more exclusive right now because there's more games releasing exclusively on Steam than ever before.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
People got way too excited over this game's potential, reading too much into chart placement and Amazon rankings. Reminds me of Prime Remastered which incidentally also sold a million.

I think it's good for the game, but obviously the chatter around the game in our circle is way bigger that its actual mainstream potential.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
I understand avoiding the game because of the alleged situation with the developer, but bringing up chuds rallying around it is funny when they now hate the game for being "censored" lmao.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
Where is PC at? Hopefully it's for consideration at some point.

I'd be shocked if we don't get a PC port. I believe the game's director already mentioned considering one.

In any case, over one million is a very solid start for a branch new IP. Good for them, can't wait for the sequel and DLC.

kxs

Jul 25, 2022
User banned (1 month): dismissive commentary
1 million sales is good. However, I feel the discourse around this game has evaporated two weeks after release.

The cultural wars behind this game around release time was just puzzling. This game did not warrant the level of attention and debate.

Eve's character designs were pretty tame compared to some of the JRPGs out there.

It was strange to see right-wing trolls rallying around this game. But it was also interesting to see progressives drawing the line at Stellar Blade.

Shift Up seems like an easy target compared to the established studios where sexist BS occurs on the regular. We know about the stuff that happened at Activision, Blizzard, Ubisoft etc. We know less about what is happening in Era's beloved Japanese studios.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be shocked if we don't get a PC port. I believe the game's director already mentioned considering one.

In any case, over one million is a very solid start for a branch new IP. Good for them, can't wait for the sequel and DLC.
Yeah you're right, and this is what I'm expecting as well.

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
1 million sales is good. However, I feel the discourse around this game has evaporated two weeks after release.

The cultural wars behind this game around release time was just puzzling. This game did not warrant the level of attention and debate.

Eve's character designs were pretty tame compared to some of the JRPGs out there.

It was strange to see right-wing trolls rallying around this game. But it was also interesting to see progressives drawing the line at Stellar Blade.

Shift Up seems like an easy target compared to the established studios where sexist BS occurs on the regular. We know about the stuff that happened at Activision, Blizzard, Ubisoft etc. We know less about what is happening in Era's beloved Japanese studios.

Yes there are pervy games out there but that's not a fair comparison. If SB was a middling action game then people would have just ignored it. This is a Sony backed PS5 exclusive though and since there seems to be a good action game in there that includes some gross titillation people got up in arms claiming the critics were trying to keep them from their fun.

Also, it's normal to call out anyone doing blatantly sexist work and I don't think Japanese studios are exempt here on Era.

DarkPrince

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Would be amazing if they put 2B in this game as a playable character for the collaboration, costumes are great and all but a whole new character to play through this would be amazing.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020

Can people please stop dismissing the sexism in Stellar Blade by beating the dead horse of an excuse "there are much worse RPGS out there". Just call it out for what it is, Stellar Blade doesn't need its honor defended. It never had any to begin with.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

Eve's various suits, I'd argue the majority of nano suits, are very blatant in what they are trying to achieve. It doesn't need defending or dismissal. Shift Up isn't trying to pretend the outfit designs are an accident. It is what it is, and it's incredibly horny. You can like the game and acknowledge this is real.

I enjoy the game quite a bit as a game, with that said multiple nano suits I've found/unlocked are downright hilarious in how horny they are. Color me shocked when just yesterday I received the swim suit "nano suit" from a side quest chain.

Last edited:

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty hilarious.

Also was beaten by Mario vs. Donkey Kong. 🙊

I also find this quote pretty rich and says a lot about the game's performance: "Rather than maximizing profits, our goal was to create an IP with high value to ensure branding in the process of gathering users around the world and building a fanbase."

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

I also find this quote pretty rich and says a lot about the game's performance: "Rather than maximizing profits, our goal was to create an IP with high value to ensure branding in the process of gathering users around the world and building a fanbase."
Is it supposed to be news that a Nintendo game outperformed a new IP?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where is PC at? Hopefully it's for consideration at some point.
They're looking at a PC version but can't comment yet because of "contractual relationship" probably meaning that Sony has an exclusive period

www.videogameschronicle.com

Stellar Blade studio is ‘looking at’ a PC version but can’t comment due to its ‘contractual relationship’ | VGC

A PC version of Stellar Blade is being “looked at,” but developed ShiftUp claims it is unable to comment on the port due to a “contractual relationship.”

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
They're looking at a PC version but can't comment because of "contractual relationship" probably meaning that Sony has an exclusive period

www.videogameschronicle.com

Stellar Blade studio is ‘looking at’ a PC version but can’t comment due to its ‘contractual relationship’ | VGC

A PC version of Stellar Blade is being “looked at,” but developed ShiftUp claims it is unable to comment on the port due to a “contractual relationship.”
Yeah I saw that link a while back but I was hoping for it to be on the roadmap. Regardless it should happen at some point.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017

And this game sold faster than Bayonetta 3 and Astral Chain. So I am not sure if I am supposed to think these numbers are bad or something.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Huh?
The dev is talking about not including any micro transactions as you otherwise might expect from a developer that makes a gacha game.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised they're getting a pass on era tbh considering the devs are publicly known for being misogynistic and fire devs for being feminists. Doesn't feel like a dev that should be celebrated
If you do that for this game because of that reason then you need to do that for most Korean media product out there as well. The issues and culture at Shift Up is not a unique or studio specific issue but rather a Korean society issue against feminism, which is well documented by now.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you do that for this game because of that reason then you need to do that for most Korean media product out there as well. The issues and culture at Shift Up is not a unique or studio specific issue but rather a Korean society issue, which is well documented by now.
Yeah I'm aware SK is having a bit of a mad incel push going on atm. Fwiw I'm not even saying 'we should boycott' or anything like that. I'm just surprised we're cheering on success here when it's an openly hostile environment for women and feminists, that as you said is pretty well documented.

If they succeed so be it, but I can't in good conscience cheer for it personally. That's not even taking into account that this game got a big push from SBID/Gamergate 2.0, which is just another reason I find it hard to cheer them on, as I don't plan to be on side with those ghouls in any scenario.

Oct 27, 2017
Audience of people who like good gameplay?
Its story is pretty bad,m and eve is bland, but from a gameplay perspective its a really good game.
I made it clear in my next posts that the messed up part is it having the highest user score of any PS5 game. Does that make any sense to you? If you're at all tuned in to any of the discussion around SB, then you know the game had an incel army viewing it as their rallying cry.

Then the only question is whether it tried to pander to those types or if Shift Up was completely unaware of that part of their fanbase. Considering their last game was Nikke and the accusations of gender discrimination at the studio, it's almost impossible for them to not be aware of who is buying their products.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
I understand avoiding the game because of the alleged situation with the developer, but bringing up chuds rallying around it is funny when they now hate the game for being "censored" lmao.
Everybody is mad at the game while I enjoy the "mediocre gameplay".

I enjoy the game quite a bit as a game, with that said multiple nano suits I've found/unlocked are downright hilarious in how horny they are. Color me shocked when just yesterday I received the swim suit "nano suit" from a side quest chain.
This is true lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.