• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
I would say Hell Yes...but the Giantbomb playthrough kinda reminded me that Shenmue 1 hasn't held up the best. Ehh, I'm sure Shenmue 2 is just as fun as it was back then.

Hell Yes!

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Never played these, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about. Hopefully it's actually a good remaster.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Never understood the appeal of shenmue. Bought it day one on my Dreamcast and it never really clicked. This is a game that I'm almost 100% confident won't find a significant audience with today's gamer.

With that said, congrats to those of you who were waiting for this!

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I'm 100000% looking forward to just hanging around Dobuita at night in the snow. Shenmue II is the better game, but the original exudes atmosphere.

demul07a_160818_scree5ts63.png

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Count me in for day one as well or at least close to launch. I sincerely hope the PC version comes with a lot of options.

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
New Brunswick
As someone who never had the opportunity to play the Shenmue games, but do enjoy the Yakuza games, I often see the latter described as spiritual successors. But, of course, by now Yakuza has blown way past Shenmue in terms of graphics and fluidity in gameplay. I plan to pick these up because, if nothing else, the settings seem interesting. I'm definitely curious about the double time travel of playing a remaster of an early 2000s game that's set in the late 80s. But, coming from Yakuza, what should I expect? What, if anything, is better about Shenmue at this point?
They're honestly really far apart from each other. Shenmue is a slower paced series where you take your time, explore the city and talk to people to piece together when and where to go next. You spend a lot of time wandering the city talking to people and asking the same questions until someone offers a hint. Combat is also really different, you learn different moves and need to spend time practicing the moves (training) to make them better.

I was recommended Yakuza because I'm a fan of Shenmue and apart from being open world games in Japan where you can play Sega games they're really not that similar.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
guys real talk, as someone who never played shenmue and has no nostalgia for it, will i be able to enjoy these games?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm 100000% looking forward to just hanging around Dobuita at night in the snow. Shenmue II is the better game, but the original exudes atmosphere.

demul07a_160818_scree5ts63.png

Walking through the town when it was snowing along with the sound of crunching snow will always stay with me. I got the game for Christmas too, so it was extra special.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
What, if anything, is better about Shenmue at this point?
Atmosphere, environmental world building, supreme attention to detail (especially in locations), unique NPCs with their own little quirks and backgrounds, the story takes you further than just Japan, branching quest design (more prevalent in II), really cool and obscure hidden quests and mini-games, etc.

Shenmue and Yakuza are dissimilar enough that they stand shoulder to shoulder for different reasons, IMO. If you're looking for a more heavily story-based game that tries to absorb you into it - Shenmue is still one of the greats.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Will this have an X patch for X1? If so then this is getting bought there, if not then PC it is. Unbelievably excited for this as I'm a huge Yakuza fan and I've always heard that Yakuza was something of a gameplay evolution from Shenmue, but both of the copies of Shenmue I bought off ebay were bum discs and the sellers refused to give me my money back so I got a bit burned on the whole thing.....but none of that matters now! Hyped, let's go!

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad I already watched a let's play of Shenmue 1. Though to be honest... it didn't look that incredible to me.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Never understood the appeal of shenmue. Bought it day one on my Dreamcast and it never really clicked. This is a game that I'm almost 100% confident won't find a significant audience with today's gamer.

With that said, congrats to those of you who were waiting for this!
It's a flawed, clunky (especially Shenmue 1) but also charming and unique experience, that is very definitely an acquired taste. It wasn't for everyone even when it come out, it surely won't be today, but now that is coming on almost every modern platform available and not still relegated on a failing niche console anymore it will surely be appreciated by at least a decently sizeable, selected minority.

Oct 27, 2017
They're honestly really far apart from each other. Shenmue is a slower paced series where you take your time, explore the city and talk to people to piece together when and where to go next. You spend a lot of time wandering the city talking to people and asking the same questions until someone offers a hint. Combat is also really different, you learn different moves and need to spend time practicing the moves (training) to make them better.

I was recommended Yakuza because I'm a fan of Shenmue and apart from being open world games in Japan where you can play Sega games they're really not that similar.

Atmosphere, environmental world building, supreme attention to detail (especially in locations), unique NPCs with their own little quirks and backgrounds, the story takes you further than just Japan, branching quest design (more prevalent in II), really cool and obscure hidden quests and mini-games, etc.

Shenmue and Yakuza are dissimilar enough that they stand shoulder to shoulder for different reasons, IMO. If you're looking for a more heavily story-based game that tries to absorb you into it - Shenmue is still one of the greats.

Thanks, folks! These are good recommendations. I frequently enjoy games for their atmosphere, and one of the things I enjoy most about Yakuza is just walking around Kamurocho. It's part of why I rate 3 and 4 higher than it seems like most folks do– Okinawa is a good change of pace in 3, and again (somewhat) when revisited in 4. Slow paced, setting-driven investigations sounds real good.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
I hope it's not releasing in September, it would be better if it's sooner. July-August period would be the best.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, folks! These are good recommendations. I frequently enjoy games for their atmosphere, and one of the things I enjoy most about Yakuza is just walking around Kamurocho. It's part of why I rate 3 and 4 higher than it seems like most folks do– Okinawa is a good change of pace in 3, and again (somewhat) when revisited in 4. Slow paced, setting-driven investigations sounds real good.
Yeah sounds like you will definitely enjoy Shenmue!

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Never owned a Dreamcast nor an original Xbox, so I missed out on supporting this great series.

I will not do so again.

Status
Not open for further replies.