Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
community.shadow.tech

VR games are the goal. Will Shadow make it there? Meet more of the Explorers.

As Shadow continues to embark on its goal of embracing VR games, we meet more of the explorers that are getting us there.

Shadow introduces their newest venture: the VR Exploration Program!

Shadow introduces their newest venture: the VR Exploration Program!

Man, this is going to drastically lower the cost barrier of playing PCVR games if it work.

Blade is a company behind Shadow PC, a cloud PC subscription service that lets you stream PC games on your weak devices (old PC/mobile phones/TV etc). For people who can't afford to upgrade their PC rig, this is a cheap alternative to run games that their low end PC can't handle. Well if low end PC players can use it to stream and play high end PC games without high end PC, theoretically speaking it should also allow Oculus Quest users to stream and play high end VR games without high end PC right?

Well that's exactly what is happening.

For many months, many Oculus Quest users has been using a combination of Virtual Desktop (an app that let you stream your local PC to the Oculus Quest) and Shadow PC to run PCVR games on the Quest without a VR-ready PC. With this initiative, Oculus Quest will be able to use just Shadow PC to run PCVR games on the Quest. Without a middle man (Virtual Desktop) in the equation, it should means streamlined process, resulting in lesser latency and improved performance. They are currently beta testing the app right for Quest users to stream PCVR games right now.

The catch here is that you will need a working internet (obviously) and there should be some slight latency. And also Shadow PC isn't available in many countries.

I know some people here has indicated in the past that the subscription is too expensive. Fortunately Shadow PC also sees some permanent price drop couple of months back.
www.theverge.com

Cloud gaming service Shadow lowers price to $11.99 a month to compete with Stadia and GeForce Now

Shadow now has three different price tiers offering different GPUs

Here's the new price tier
GTX1080 ($14.99 per month, $11.99 annual contract)
RTX2080 ($29.99 per month, 24.99 annual contract)
TITAN RTX ($29.99 per month, $39.99 annual contract)

Deleted member 4852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never streamed a game that didn't have noticeable lag. That sucks playing a traditional game, it makes you sick in VR.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
So I have had a chance to really test this service out. I have to say, it's not that great for traditional PC gaming. At least not from my experience. I have a reliable connection, but for some reason, my connection tanks on my laptop when trying to stream games from steam.

Now the positive. While my connection with my laptop seems iffy, using my Quest 2 and the virtual desktop, works flawlessly. I can play regular steam games in my Quest 2 headset by making my controllers "act" as a normal game pad. I was able to play games with controller support. If they don't, then I can't get them to work.

But the true reason to consider this service is how well the actual VR works. The virtual desktop app from the Quest 2 is able to locate the games you have installed from both the oculus launcher and steamVR.

I swear, the experience has been perfect. Even fast paced games like Propagation and Vader Immortal's dojo run smoothly, as if running natively.

I can't say it's worth a monthly subscription, but it's at least worth it here and there as I slowly build up my VR library through steam sales.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Cloud streaming to a VR headset?

That extra, unpredictable latency is a terrible fit for VR.

Last edited: