• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just...stop please. I want to slam my head against a wall every time you post in here.

There's nothing wrong with that poster.
There's lots of things wrong with it from a realistic point of view and going by how both reboot games are played and portrayed, it seems like they wanted to hit realism.

As I said, the lighting makes no actual sense. The glow from the sun cannot appear sharper, only softer, yet it's sharp and definitive on Lara. Not to mention she is entirely grey/brown/green along with the environment; for whatever reason completely uneffected by the sun.

The temple, or whatever that's suppose to look like, is meant to have the shaded areas darker because of the sun hitting the light surface makes the shadows darker the stronger it is.

This isn't even getting into how soul-destroying reboot Lara is.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is the first fall game I'm excited for this year. The last two games have been so incredible.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
I want this outfit back

Lara_Croft.jpg

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Terrible in every way imaginable.

The lighting doesn't even make sense, the sun's soft glow appears too sharp on Lara.
Reboot Lara is ugly and masculine.
Melee weapons.
Still with the bow.
Trousers.
WHERE THE FUCK IS THE COLOUR?? It's still the same shitey-ass green/brown/grey.

Basically it's everything but Lara Croft we're seeing here.
Ugly and masculine? Have you even seen what masculine women look like? She looks fit in that poster. Also there's nothing wrong with the lighting.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I want this outfit back

I want sass. I want confidence. I want cockiness. I want to see a person arrogant enough to wield dual pistols. I want long periods of silence as she dodges traps and dinosaurs in a fiendish tomb while wearing short shorts. I want someone we all aspire to be, a person who gives no fucks. I don't want some meek waif wrapped in self-pity and doubt, moaning about shit none of us care about.

Uncharted: Lost Legacy beat Tomb Raider at her own game though. So I guess what I'm actually asking for is a new franchise starring Chloe Frazier...

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I want sass. I want confidence. I want cockiness. I want to see a person arrogant enough to wield dual pistols. I want long periods of silence as she dodges traps and dinosaurs in a fiendish tomb while wearing short shorts. I want someone we all aspire to be, a person who gives no fucks. I don't want some meek waif wrapped in self-pity and doubt, moaning about shit none of us care about.

Uncharted: Lost Legacy beat Tomb Raider at her own game though. So I guess what I'm actually asking for is a new franchise starring Chloe Frazier...
I mean that's not really what lost legacy was though. She had her story about her dad, just like Lara, and she ended up wanting to save the town.

Oct 26, 2017
We're actually......

Talking shit about artwork now? And there isn't even anything wrong with it. It's very in line with the Lara we've had since TR 2013. Did people expect a complete change or something? Why?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about this game is shaping up nicely.

I can't wait for more of this Lara!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
We're sorry if criticism hurts your feelings.
"She's not sexy enough!!" isn't a criticism. "She still has the weapon that she's been using for the past two games" isn't a criticism. "Melee weapons" isn't even a criticism. As that implies they're inherently negative when they're anything but. Just typing "trousers" isn't a criticism either.

Last edited:

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Could you imagine the amount of shit that would be hurled at the developers if they made her look like the older games? Those were a product of their time, and they would get destroyed in today's society where sexualization like that is no longer a welcome thing.

I'm totally down for her having the personality of old Lara in whatever comes next after his trilogy, but her look that she has now is totally fine. I dig it.

Oct 26, 2017
How.... just how is the new Lara masculine? Seriously now. I would say CD did a great job making a realistic looking, not over the top character and is still very much Lara. But again, did some people expect such a huge change because of the new developer? Because it was clear from the start this would be a sequel.

Oct 26, 2017
"She's not sexy enough!!" isn't a criticism. "She still has the weapon that she's been using for the past two games" isn't a criticism. "Melee weapons" isn't even a criticism. As that implies they're inherently negative when they're anything but.

I'm sure there will always be some people that would say this, but I'd say they did a fine job by still making her a attractive character,for a videogame character that is of course. :)

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn, guess she's getting a machete this time? I like when they do overviews of her gear like they did with some Rise posters. I do hope they bring back more craftable costumes as it's rare to have so many for free these days.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I love Lara and Tomb Raider.
Regarding the two newest games i thought the first one was the better expirience.
This is looking promising, the setting i mean.
Hoping for much more supernatural stuff in those games.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you'd rather look up to the one that shows her ass and most of her body off?
The inquisitive, the confident, the knowledgeable, the sexy, the acrobatic, the stylish, the unique Lara. Not the one who runs around like a psychopath with blood all over her brutally killing humans and animals wanting to be protected.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
We're sorry if criticism hurts your feelings.
There's one way to go about criticism, and there's another. What you have been doing for all these days in these Shadow threads is shitting it up all over the place. I could appreciate your perspective and where you stand if you expressed yourself differently. Unfortunately I have felt the need to report you, and to be honest I wish I didn't have to because you're probably a nice person behind the curtain, but this have been a bit much. I'm not here to tell you to stop, cause it's your right to express yourself however you see fit, I just wish you would go about it differently. No offense. :)

Anyway, that artwork is some of the best piece of work I've seen in a long time. Really hoping it got a tolerable story next go around! Counting down the days to April 27!

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
It's a beautiful render that's showing her progression as a character really well. Even though I wasn't a fan of rise that much, I appreciate the long character arc that CD created for Lara and stuck with it throughout this trilogy.
You can see it clearly in the box art renders of all games when put together.

latest

rise-tomb-raider-caratula.jpg

39307713300_72045e2b09_o.jpg

She seems vulnerable and wounded in Tomb Raider (2013), then she slowly gains confidence as she plunged herself into the adventure and gain survival skills in Rise (2015), and now in Shadow (2018) she looks fierce ruthless wielding a machete ready to take on any challenge.
I can't wait to see how they develop her into a badass no-bullshit Lara that she became eventually known for.

DG5000

Nov 14, 2017
Hyped for the mayan setting although the story will most likely be uninteresting as usual. As it's the end of the triology I'm not expecting any breakthroughs gameplay wise, not in combat, not in exploration and certainly not in terms of tomb complexity. All I hope is that it's not boring, like I felt Rise was.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the artwork quite a bit. The colours, the environment, the atmosphere, the outfit, the pose,... Reminds me of some of the Core-era comic book covers (I would've preferred a braid over a ponytail and her expression could've been a bit fiercer, I guess, but those are minor details). It's just too bad that the game will most likely be another generic, boring third-person shooter with a bad story and next to no commonalities with Tomb Raider whatsoever. Oh well.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Hyped for the mayan setting although the story will most likely be uninteresting as usual. As it's the end of the triology I'm not expecting any breakthroughs gameplay wise, not in combat, not in exploration and certainly not in terms of tomb complexity. All I hope is that it's not boring, like I felt Rise was.

But combat, exploration, and tomb complexity did get a notable boost in Rise. There's a good chance they'll improve further, even if its unlikely for giant tombs to be the sole focus.