Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hype started real low for this game but every trailer makes me like it more. Tomb Raider really nailed the supernatural element in the first two games in a way I was looking for from Uncharted 4.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Damn, really reminds me of Uncharted but specifically Lost Legacy.

This might be my GOTY.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its so great of Lara to save these primitive tribesmen. White girls burden.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Game continues to look better and better. One of my current favorite franchises, can't wait for this one!

OP
OP
catboy

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A quick summary so far:
  • There's a toggle to let native people speak in their native tongue, or it can be in your language
  • You can now trade items and stuff rather than just currency
  • You can pet llamas
  • There are more side quests in the hub world, like in Rise
  • It's still kind of serving budget tbh. The facial animation is giving me horizon zero dawn
  • Crypts are now as large as tombs used to be, there are multiple tombs and crypts in this hub area

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This is right up there as one of my most anticipated games of the fall, looks like the best parts of the previous Tomb Raider games.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, exploration difficulty set to hard removes the white paint from climbable objects! I don't mind those so much, but I know some people don't like how they break immersion.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
It's actually kinda awkward how she's constantly looking either left or right and never at what's in front of her lol

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't want to watch the video in fear of spoilers, but from the pics I've seen the graphics look great!

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the developers played a lot of Uncharted The Lost Legacy.

OP
OP
catboy

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its so great of Lara to save these primitive tribesmen. White girls burden.
This is actually a fair critique. I wonder how devs / designers can avoid these tropes, while using established characters?

Obviously the primary solution would be starring a character from that culture rather than a white character in a non-English speaking locale, but I wonder if there is a way to do it correctly within limitations like this.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how people can watch this whole thing and say this looks like a more budget title than the last two. The production values here are through the roof. If the budget is smaller, and it might be, the art team is working overtime to keep it from showing. I think this is just a default response when people know that the game is being developed by a secondary team.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
This has been in development since 2015, ie before Uncharted 4 even came out.

Using that thinking, Uncharted 4 was in development before this. Besides, these latest Tomb Raider titles are obviously inspired by the Uncharted series. Not a bad thing, though.

OT: I'm not as excited for this one as I was for either of the previous, but I'm still planning on checking it out.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure how people can watch this whole thing and say this looks like a more budget title than the last two. The production values here are through the roof. If the budget is smaller, and it might be, the art team is working overtime to keep it from showing. I think this is just a default response when people know that the game is being developed by a secondary team.

Nope
https://kotaku.com/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-cost-75-100-million-to-make-1825952948

OP
OP
catboy

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The character animation in the cutscenes is a noticeable step back from rise's cutscenes. Although again we haven't seen any of the "showpiece" cutscenes yet.

Even if it hadn't been offloaded to a secondary studio, we know SE wasn't particularly happy with TR2013 or Rise's performance so it's not a huge leap to imagine they'd want to scale back the budget. When you then consider it was given to the studio who made Mankind Divided, which was ostensibly constrained by resources, it's not a reach.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The character animation in the cutscenes is a noticeable step back from rise's cutscenes. Although again we haven't seen any of the "showpiece" cutscenes yet.

There was no cutscenes for side quests in Rise, both characters just awkward stared at eachother frozen. This is a considerable step above that.

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it hadn't been offloaded to a secondary studio, we know SE wasn't particularly happy with TR2013 or Rise's performance so it's not a huge leap to imagine they'd want to scale back the budget. When you then consider it was given to the studio who made Mankind Divided, which was ostensibly constrained by resources, it's not a reach.

That's not true, Shadow of The Tomb Raider is costing 75 -100m USD while Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, according to Jim Sterling sources, costed 70 million USD.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
"Hard Exploration difficulty turns off the white markings that show you where to climb."

giphy.gif

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Um, yes? I was responding to a person who said that it looked like the devs had been playing Lost Legacy, ie a game which came out in the final year of Shadow's development.

Lost Legacy was still released before this, so it isn't unreasonable to assume inspiration was taken from it based on the vid above.

OP
OP
catboy

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not true, Shadow of The Tomb Raider is costing 75 -100m USD while Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, according to Jim Sterling sources, costed 70 million USD.
Yes, but we don't know how much rottr cost. It could be a step back from that - we know TR2013 cost nearly $100m and that was a PS360 game. A full next gen sequel costing anywhere between 75-100% of it's PS360 progenitor is interesting at least.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Woah okay that last shot got me excited. It looked like an actual platforming challenge.

OP
OP
catboy

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lost Legacy was still released before this (and could have been in development along with Uncharted 4), so it isn't unreasonable to assume inspiration was taken from it based on the vid above.
Yes it is. We didn't even see any gameplay of lost legacy until December 2016, and that was footage from a war torn city. The full game didn't come out until August 2017.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i love the setting, really hype for this i just hope it doesn't have hundreds of crappy collectibles to pick up every two meters like rise. not even far cry does that stuff anymore.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
LL was originally planned as just a shorter dlc, so it kind of seems unlikely.

Despite those plans, it released as a full fledged title a whole 13 months before this will. So, again, it isn't unreasonable to assume it was an inspiration to this game. I didn't say it was a bad thing.

Foulmerchant

Oct 26, 2017
This is looking really really good.

I've got to echo some of the posters above: hype was low, but these vids have it skyrocketing.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. My hype was deflated after E3, but this really brought me back in. I'm hoping the narrative and characters also improve, that's the one area where both TR2013 and RoTTR weren't so great.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Despite those plans, it released as a full fledged title a whole 13 months before this will. So, again, it isn't unreasonable to assume it was an inspiration to this game. I didn't say it was a bad thing.
Yea, except we know from leaks that they started making this this over two years ago at this point.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
So glad about the barter system. I was baffled when Rise didn't have one; having to run around and grind crafting supplies for upgrades wasn't fun at all. Definitely prefer the more lively and lush environment. It'll be tough to top Yamatai's atmosphere, but this looks really great.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not necessarily. She can blend in with foliage and stuff.

Most of us generally hopes the WRITING is better. Gameplay and customization has always been great.
I think you really need to try to have worse writing than Rise and if fucking won awards that year for writing, smh