• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
So no dual handguns and no Sam but Jonah is back again.

Am I right?

Ugh I truly cannot believe they teased the handguns so effing hard in Rise DLC only to NOT have her use them again (unless they've been confirmed somewhere or they're being kept under wraps).

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Rise had this too, at least in the detective vision. You couldn't look at a puzzle in detective vision without her practically telling you the solution.

Yeah, can we disable this. Please

Also game charecters don't have to be chatty Kathy's all the fucking time. Shut the fuck up please. I liked it in the last of us, but it's getting very noticable now.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Setting and focus alone have me feeling confident this will be as good as the first reboot at the very least. Again, I only played a few hours of Rise, and I enjoyed it, but it didn't interest me as much as the first game which I'd say I loved.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Camilla Luddington talking about SOTTR in new interview:

i was hoping rise would go this path...the first trailer was about a PTSD lara...i had been hoping they were building up to a rambo type scenario but it never happend. seems like this happening here though. she is a monster so she should act like it. A clever deconstruction of nathan drake has always been interesting to me considering how gritty and in your face about the violence and killing TR 2013 was

Some people may cry, but turning TR into a spec ops the line type game is right up my alley

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, can we disable this. Please

Also game charecters don't have to be chatty Kathy's all the fucking time. Shut the fuck up please. I liked it in the last of us, but it's getting very noticable now.

I really hate this trend. Any puzzle (which are already simpler than they used to be) in an AAA game now is plagued with chatter telling you what to do. I miss the quiet of the PS2 generation.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate this trend. Any puzzle (which are already simpler than they used to be) in an AAA game now is plagued with chatter telling you what to do. I miss the quiet of the PS2 generation.

It's like having that friend that watches you play and tries to tell you how to play or "help" you out. Like just as you figure something out their all. "Oh look up there pull that." .....yeah no shit.

Last edited:

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
I'd have got this on Day 1, however Spider-man is out 1 week earlier and my budget atm only allows 1 game purchase a month at most. It's a purchase for me, but i'll most likely wait until it's on sale down the line.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Here is how model looks like

DcNO3OuVMAU4peE.jpg:large

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, quite addition to detail by giving her more muscle mass compared to the first two games.
They should have given her pony tail and it would have been perfect for this game.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this game series narrative structure at all.

Wasn't the very first game about this? About her going "oh man, I've become a monster"

As she also yells "NOW I HAVE THE MACHINE GUN!" as she pops fools in the head.

I was listening to a podcast and they joked "I hope that in the end Lara literally just transforms into a monster, being the PS1 polygonal breasted character model"

I hope so to.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Too masculine!

;)

lol seriously though, she definitely looks better in the gearguide than in the earlier pics, the queen of gaming is still as foxy as ever!
But I still miss the curves... but I get that I'm shouting at the clouds at this point so it's okay, pretty much can't have curvy girls in gaming today without the boards and media bashing the game/devs.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): History of making sexist remarks in TR threads.
Another awful outfit reveal, as expected from the reboot era, where realism and political correctness pollutes the game design in a fictional game where Lara takes down ancient beings who wield firey magic and rise from the graves. It's like they are purposely trying to make her unattractive and not sexy on purpose to try to drive some kind of message, when really it just restricts the creativity that goes into the aesthetics. Imagine games like Tekken or Soul Calibur went for the whole realism military route for their outfit designs, it would be just boring and people would be crying for diversity, but because this is TR it somehow gets a pass. Even games like TLOU or HZD has non-realistic costumes that are just fun to look at, no excuses like the material of the outfit aids the character in hiding in the jungle nonsense.

It actually wouldn't be bad if that outfit was a one-off or appeared a couple of times but from what I've seen and heard, most of them are like that. One of the best things about classic Lara was the diversity in Lara's wardrobe because it either reflected her personality or it was designed around the level she was in. This isn't ARMA or Battlefield it's a TR game, this realism excuse needs to stop because it's making for boring and the same shitty-ass re-skin outfits.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Another awful outfit reveal, as expected from the reboot era, where realism and political correctness pollutes the game design in a fictional game where Lara takes down ancient beings who wield firey magic and rise from the graves. It's like they are purposely trying to make her unattractive and not sexy on purpose to try to drive some kind of message, when really it just restricts the creativity that goes into the aesthetics. Imagine games like Tekken or Soul Calibur went for the whole realism military route for their outfit designs, it would be just boring and people would be crying for diversity, but because this is TR it somehow gets a pass. Even games like TLOU or HZD has non-realistic costumes that are just fun to look at, no excuses like the material of the outfit aids the character in hiding in the jungle nonsense.

It actually wouldn't be bad if that outfit was a one-off or appeared a couple of times but from what I've seen and heard, most of them are like that. One of the best things about classic Lara was the diversity in Lara's wardrobe because it either reflected her personality or it was designed around the level she was in. This isn't ARMA or Battlefield it's a TR game, this realism excuse needs to stop because it's making for boring and the same shitty-ass re-skin outfits.
The old Lara from the PS1/PS2 days is dead. It's easier to understand the design choices if you think that way. Basically, the only thing left from the old Lara is the pony tail, no exaggeration.

But personally I think the outfit shown here is perfectly fine, I have no issues with this look, and I'm sure they'll have some alternative skintight costumes in Shadow as well just like in Rise. But the curves... She looked great in Rise but now they've clearly been messing with the hips/ass/breasts sliders again. Not a fan.

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
The old Lara from the PS1/PS2 days is dead. It's easier to understand the design choices if you think that way. Basically, the only thing left from the old Lara is the pony tail, no exaggeration.

But personally I think the outfit shown here is perfectly fine, I have no issues with this look, and I'm sure they'll have some alternative skintight costumes in Shadow as well just like in Rise. But the curves... She looked great in Rise but now they've clearly been messing with the hips/ass/breasts sliders again. Not a fan.

Classic TR fans will never understand.
They are connecting and comparing absolutely everything with classic games and i guess that's where all the negativity and hate is coming from. They are still hoping that this rebooted Lara will magically turn into classic Lara one day but even developers said that this is not happening.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
They are connecting and comparing absolutely everything with classic games and i guess that's where all the negativity and hate is coming from. They are still hoping that this rebooted Lara will magically turn into classic Lara one day but even developers said that this is not happening.
It's all fully understandable though. Lara didn't get popular just because she raided tombs. It was the whole package. The exaggerated curvy character design, her witty humour and the attitude, the clothes, the dual guns strapped to her thighs, the adventuring, the atmosphere. And now the devs somehow expect that their old fans will just silently accept that they're changing everything about the franchise. Of course there will be negativity.
I'm one of those old fans that love TR2013 and Rise though, tripple dipped on 2013, double dipped on Rise, 100-percented Rise, loved everything about it, almost. But I just don't think Tomb Raider is the Tomb Raider I grew up with anymore, and it's definitely not just about her DDD-cup shrinking to a B-cup, the whole package has changed, it's a different game and she's a different character in both looks and behaviour.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

While it sucks that TR will never be TR again, that's not the reason I don't like much the new games. The reason is because is an amalgation on SP Triple AAA obnoxious design choices. From the standard pop'n-shoot TPS cover based mechanics to the staunchly drab stealth, going thorugh the awful collectation of useless shit, the braindead plataforming, shocklingly bad story,boring puzzles and total lack of any meaningful exploration that isn't backtracking to previous areas and use item x on place y

So, you may agree or not with people opinions, but consider that people might just not like the games very much, instead of assuming is some pitiful vendetta or just out of spit because is not classic TR. I enjoy plenty of games that aren't classic TR games, and the new modern TR games aren't one of these.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if I'm right or not but looks like they haven't trimmed her physique which is good, curvy natural Lara is the best. They've given her arms more muscle from what I noticed. Sure there will be many more outfits that aren't that dull, wouldn't worry about it.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
While it sucks that TR will never be TR again, that's not the reason I don't like much the new games. The reason is because is an amalgation on SP Triple AAA obnoxious design choices. From the standard pop'n-shoot TPS cover based mechanics to the staunchly drab stealth, going thorugh the awful collectation of useless shit, the braindead plataforming, shocklingly bad story,boring puzzles and total lack of any meaningful exploration that isn't backtracking to previous areas and use item x on place y

So, you may agree or not with people opinions, but consider that people might just not like the games very much, instead of assuming is some pitiful vendetta or just out of spit because is not classic TR. I enjoy plenty of games that aren't classic TR games, and the new modern TR games aren't one of these.

I agree with your assessment of the game, I just beat the game like 6 hours ago and I didn't even enjoy it as much as the 2013 reboot.

The story was decent, I listened to a lot of the audio logs and they we're enjoyable enough. But overall didn't care about the story. I was doing lots of collecting and questing for thr first half the game than just gave up. It just ended up feeling like doing busy work with very little pay off. The tombs felt meh and the other half was locked behind gear I didn't have. The combat encounters I felt worst than 2013,and I generally didn't have any reason to explore the world. The fact that they also dedicated several skills dedicated to finding collectibles plus challenges easier and have so many littered everywhere just padding the game.
The platforming wasn't anything to home about either, it just feels off.

Never played OG TR games before.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It's clear they changed her body a bit. Especially the hips and personally I don't think that was needed at all but ah well. And I'm just gonna say it, her behind in Rise is still rather damn nice for a CG character. I mean...at the start of Syria? Yeah. Wouldn't surprise me if they all toned that down a little too, which again ... not needed.

As for outfits, the new one looks nice, nothing too incredible and like many fans I'd love to see the tanktop with shorts see its return. Heh, I bet if that happens SE will make sure to have that in one of the DLC outfit packs, sigh. Hopefully we still get to actually unlock some outfits in the .. you know, actual game too.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Loving the changes for Lara. She should've always been [more] muscular since she's a cross between a gymnast and decathlete based on what she does in the games.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand Reboot Lara fans, she's a walking puppet who looks dead on the inside in a bad way.

YsPyCgu.jpg

Reboot Lara = barely see her eyes, they are pointing down, she's depressed and/or angry about something

Classic Lara = bright and lively vivid eyes, looking straight at the camera, posture full of life

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'll never understand Reboot Lara fans, she's a walking puppet who looks dead on the inside in a bad way.

Reboot Lara = barely see her eyes, they are pointing down, she's depressed and/or angry about something

Classic Lara = bright and lively vivid eyes, looking straight at the camera, posture full of life

Or......

Reboot Lara = somewhat realistic depiction of a young woman
Classic Lara = awful sex doll....

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
"Muscles are politically correct and they're restricting their creativity!" is genuinely one of the dumbest things i've seen stated on this forum.
"Too uncreative and the devs clearly restricted themselves":
maxresdefault.jpg

Totes original and full of creativity:
5bbdd55a00e19b52c185712172ef6eac--bikini-outfits-snow-light.jpg

Gee I wonder which game had more thought and creativity put into the costumes.

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018

YsPyCgu.jpg

Can you just... stop??

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

YsPyCgu.jpg

This is surely satire, right?
The old Lara with a simple texture for a face and the most unrealistic pinup doll figure ever, vs one with some of the best facial animation in the industry that, whether you care about the character or not, can emote like crazy?

V2xYRqH.png

SO ALIVE!
LOOK AT HER!

Random pictures that aren't meant to be emotive work both ways.

Oct 26, 2017

She says there's no co-op, which is odd because the Xbox Store says there is. Ah well, solo for me anyway.

Last edited: