Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
The example that really stings for me is Starcraft 2 (the overall games) , specifically Kerrigan and Raynor. Kerrigan was such a badass in Starcraft 1 and her turn to being a ruthless piece of shit when she evolves was one of the best parts of the series, her sudden change in Starcraft 2 gave me headaches , she turned into an irredeemable monster in Brood War that retconning that is one of the worst decisions Blizzard has made. In Raynor cases, I can't buy SC1 Raynor ever forgiving Kerrigan for killng Fenix (Dragoon), so SC2 ruins one of the most badass lines from SC1 (the one were Raynor says he will kill her).

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Cross. Why did they add content to Chrono Trigger re-releases to tie them together? Why do they need to be tied together? I hate it. Trigger didn't need a sequel. It should stand on its own. It was a simple and balanced story with lovable characters that began and ended satisfyingly. Why ruin that story by tying it to another game that should also stand on its own?

Last edited:

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I really disliked the story direction of Halo 2 onwards. The original just felt much more alien and mysterious, then everything turned to saturday morning cartoon cheese. I'm sure I'll cop some flack for my views, but I've always felt this way.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The obvious: Mass Effect 3. While the game itself was simply "OK" to good in many respects, the ending retroactively made all of your previous decisions rather pointless.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Someone's gonna kill me for this, but I hate FFX-2's extreme tonal shift both in the setting and across its established characters. Yuna and Rikku in particular were totally butchered.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I wouldnt go so far as to say it ruined the series story (not that it was great to begin with) but I always disliked Resident Evil Code Veronica X. The game itself is fine, and more specifically I mean the small story changes made from the original CV to CVX. I never was a fan of Wesker getting super powers in Code Veronica X and would have preferred him to remain mostly normal like in the original version. I'm sure no one else agrees with me since so many seem to love crazy RE5 Wesker.

tokenflipguy

May 15, 2018
MGS4..the third act, Raiden's life going on the downturn and even the concept of Old Snake contradicts the messaging in MGS2. You could argue anything post SE did this.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 4. There were flashes of brilliance, I loved the concept of Old Snake. But I mean, that is who The Patriots were?

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3. Ruined the villain(Xehanort) that they were building up for the past five games.

Final Fantasy X-2 and the novel. They don't exist.

Danganronpa 3. The main plot was already dumb tho... but man the anime made the main plot even worse.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Cross. Why even tie it and Chrono Trigger together when they're so completely different?
Isn't this basically every Final Fantasy game, though? I'm under the impression that they all have completely different casts, settings, and stories, and the only things they share in common are chocobo, moogles, and of course, the wax doll pretty boy / girl look of the characters. I just assumed they pulled the same thing with Chrono Cross.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Bioshock Infinite Burial at Sea

c83.jpg

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this basically every Final Fantasy game, though? I'm under the impression that they all have completely different casts, settings, and stories, and the only things they share in common are chocobo, moogles, and of course, the wax doll pretty boy / girl look of the characters. I just assumed they pulled the same thing with Chrono Cross.
I never played a Final Fantasy so I don't know if any of them are tied. I assumed they weren't beyond common themes.

For the Chrono series, some terrible things happen to the original Trigger cast that lead into the events of Cross and then the rest of the story goes completely over my head. It basically over-complicated itself for no good reason. They even added extra content and an additional animated cutscene to re-releases of Trigger to tie them together.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida

It's not the same here. Chrono Cross basically deals with the possible consequences of the events of Chrono Trigger, though this doesn't become apparent until about 50-60% through the game. I personally love it, but it's a divisive title.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo Reach.

- Retconned Cortana as being the 'key' to stopping the Covenant war... which she never was
- Had Master Chief sleeping during the battle of Reach

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
The Persona 4 sequels sure did something to the characters, all right

It sure is baffling to see the protagonist say "Adachi, I still believe in our friendship" after all that's happened.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Gears 5 did that for me. I used to love the series, world and characters especially after the books. I just don't care for it anymore or trust them to deliver anything meaningful in the eventual 6th game. What bothered me the most is that they tore down characters to make you more attached to the new protagonist and then take a half-step-back to finally just throw it all to the wind for a messy ending that makes what happened before not matter. Eugh

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Someone's gonna kill me for this, but I hate FFX-2's extreme tonal shift both in the setting and across its established characters. Yuna and Rikku in particular were totally butchered.
I love FFX-2 but you're not wrong. I can't look at it as canonical to the first game, it's offically sanctioned fan fiction.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resistance 2 really did everything it could to ruin the world Fall of Man set up.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Sly Cooper 4 with Penelope. What a fucking backwards way to develop that character.
Didn't think I would ever go to bat for V3, but I don't think the game really affects the quality of the other ones at all. It's a shitty game that absolutely sinks all interesting character and story potential it has, but it's shitty-ness is contained to itself.

Oct 31, 2017
Castlevania LoS2.
It started with the forgotten one dlc. How so easily they ruined the ending to LoS.
When fans can come up with a better storyline you know you messed up.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
probably an unpopular opinion, but GOD i really loathe the Resident Evil franchise after RE3. even though RE4's gameplay is, well, game-changing, story- and plot-wise it just became abysmal.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Third Birthday for sure, as it just not only ruined Aya from Parasite Eve but even the returning characters from the series.