Wag

Nov 3, 2017

Amanda Stansbury did the research while earning her Ph.D. at St Andrews under Vincent Janik, the director of the Scottish Oceans Institute.

"What's new about this research is we taught the seals how to imitate new sounds," Stansbury said. "We could have played them any song or any combination of notes."

Stansbury said she worked with three juvenile gray seals: Zola, Janice and Gandalf.

To teach the seals, Stansbury said she first recorded the seals making their natural sounds. Then she played those sounds back to the seals.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/23/735070681/a-new-hope-seal-learns-to-sing-star-wars-theme

That is not the Seal you were looking for...

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
That is not the Seal you were looking for...

Lla6eY0.jpg

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Totally heard Seal do some Ba-Dee-Das in my head while the thread loaded. :(

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBYYY

Oh....
:(

"What's new about this research is we taught the seals how to imitate new sounds," Stansbury said. "We could have played them any song or any combination of notes."

So the possibilities are endless!

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I love Seal but so routinely forget he exists that I imagined this thread in its exact form and could not be any happier. The honking is so cute!

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I too was hoping to hear Seal the singer, not Seal the seal.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
That's cool and all, but now I want Seal to sing the Star Wars theme like the opening to Kiss From a Rose.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Feel sorry for all the charmless souls disappointed that there are actual pinniped seals honking twinkle twinkle little star and the stars wars theme instead of boring "he already has a vevo" human Seal. Come on now. This is so much awesome.

I opened this expecting to find human Seal, expected to be disappointed. Instead, these adorable tone-deaf and off-key dudes and dudettes are singing their hearts out for some fish. This bait my day.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Hahahahaha. Amazing. I also like the way that they always fuck off at the end of the song like "I'm done, hooman. What do you think I am, some kind of trained seal? oh."