• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel bad for the people who bought the game only to get told they can't play right now.
I've been on a media blackout for this game, except for this one time i watched a twitch stream for about 10mins. Got home early to play and stuck searching the seas. Glad i didnt spend money on this (game pass trial). Hopefully they get this resolved soon.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible for treasure to fall off the ship or just disappear? We cannot find it anywhere here

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with these launches is, it's like none of these companies learn from each other. Back when WoW launched, maybe this was acceptable. Then diablo 3 happens. Then sim city. And probably others that i'm not thinking of right now.

The games are different, but the underlying network technology hasn't changed that much. You have load balancers, servers, and connections between everything. Stress tests everywhere. Then the story is always "we didn't know we'd have this much demand!"

But next year, we'll be in this exact same boat with whatever next big online game launch is.

Rejam

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not baited, I was replying to what you wrote. And yeah, I'm replying to the part I disagreed with. I got the impression you were saying the islands didn't have any meaningful amount of animal life when you said "Everywhere is completely deserted, they barely even have any animals (even neutral ones) on the islands." You went on later that they were "A lot of islands are completely devoid of life." Those were the main ways you described it, and I'm not scrubbing context there. It's fine that we disagree, but don't play coy that you can't imagine where I got the impression. I direct quoted your words, and since you're acting like I'm not, I can't see that as anything but insincerity. As I was saying, the difference in our (and others') impressions is so stark, I truly thought you might be hitting some sort of glitch.

Omitting important words is miss-quoting, you can't just decide to miss some off. I wouldn't have said most islands if I meant every island. There is nothing coy about it.
The world does not feel like a lively place to me.

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who didn't follow much about the game, I don't understand why it was so popular during the beta and now it's the worst thing since cancer.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
WLOkC8n.png

What's everyone's progress so far? Besides searching the seas.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
Me and my crew managed to take down a Skull Fort and the rewards were definitely worth it. I didn't realise each type of Skeleton had there own weaknesses, so definitely going to read up about that, so I am better prepared next time.

EctoPrime

Oct 27, 2017
The thing with these launches is, it's like none of these companies learn from each other. Back when WoW launched, maybe this was acceptable. Then diablo 3 happens. Then sim city. And probably others that i'm not thinking of right now.

The games are different, but the underlying network technology hasn't changed that much. You have load balancers, servers, and connections between everything. Stress tests everywhere. Then the story is always "we didn't know we'd have this much demand!"

But next year, we'll be in this exact same boat with whatever next big online game launch is.

We were interested in the game. Then I seen it goes to xbox and pc. Then I seen I could do game pass for free for 14 days. Then I seen it works with game share on the home xbox. So instead of us waiting for reviews and a sale we are both trying to play off once game pass that is free me on PC her on my xbox one. That is 2 people that wouldn't be here otherwise really just to try it.

I bet we aren't the only ones trying to get into this game because of the hype and the free days of game pass. I assume that is generating a huge load on it compared to other games with no pass or sharing. But if this works we will pay for game pass monthly no problem since I got a good pc (8600k gtx1080ti) and 2 xbox ones in the house. $10 a month to let 2 of us play at a time anywhere is unreal.

OP
OP

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We were interested in the game. Then I seen it goes to xbox and pc. Then I seen I could do game pass for free for 14 days. Then I seen it works with game share on the home xbox. So instead of us waiting for reviews and a sale we are both trying to play off once game pass that is free me on PC her on my xbox one. That is 2 people that wouldn't be here otherwise really just to try it.

I bet we aren't the only ones trying to get into this game because of the hype and the free days of game pass. I assume that is generating a huge load on it compared to other games with no pass or sharing. But if this works we will pay for game pass monthly no problem since I got a good pc (8600k gtx1080ti) and 2 xbox ones in the house. $10 a month to let 2 of us play at a time anywhere is unreal.
That's the huge power of game pass, its a crazy thing. I'm equally as willing to spend $10 a month and I don't even have a PC. Just two AAA games covers the cost of a whole year of subscribing, that's phenomenal value.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but. . . Is the game enjoyable alone?
It's a very different experience, but enjoyable. Having to do all the navigation, raising sails, changing directions with the wind, etc, all on your own can be pretty stressful. It's pretty rewarding when you cash in those hard earned chests and skulls by yourself, though.

Virtua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User was warned for trolling. This contributes nothing to the discussion other than to provoke other members and derail the topic.
First impression

Xbox has its no mans sky

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but. . . Is the game enjoyable alone?

I've been enjoying the game a lot, but even when I played once with one other rando in matchmaking accidentally when I was trying to play with another ERAuser, it was so much more fun. Everything when you're playing alone seems to take more work since you have to do it all yourself.

Again, I have fun, but I'm really excited to play with other people in the near future.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
We saved the ship though. Can it still fall out?
Not that I've personally seen, but it wouldn't surprise me that it would have some jank like that. I played for a couple hours earlier and we weren't getting gold or reputation. Another time, I spawned and didn't have any equipment at all, so I had to reboot the game. They have some technical things they need to iron out still.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't get too upset about what is happening in here rn. Honestly, it's to be expected when something doesn't work as it should. Sure there is plenty of hyperbole but we are on a gaming message board, so...

yes, just with any community OT......I remember FFXV and Andromeda, holy fuck at andromeda initially

eventually they cool down and you get the folks for the long haul

Oct 30, 2017
if your on a two man sloop alone you should become "captain" and have the ability to brig trolls. I spent hours doing a massive loot run when a friend got disconnected from the server, for some dick to come in and try and crash the ship, drop anchor randomly, throw chests off into the sea, eat all my bananas.

I was lucky to get it back to an outpost before he done too much damage and get the most of it sold. Although I never got any xp or coin for it, I'm hoping it pops tomorrow when I go back in. I love the game, both in multi and single player.. I just hate when you can't kick people who just want to troll.

Edit: it didn't help matters that I had to deal with a sorrowful chest on top of that

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got in when I tried to sloop with another player. I can guarantee that works as I did that twice in an hour.

So solo doesn't work, partying with a friend doesn't work. But matchmaking with a sloop does work. Just wait on the sloop "invite a friend" screen an it'll match you with someone. Took about 5 mins.
First impression

Xbox has its no mans sky

How? We're playing the game they've alpha & beta tested with us, there's nothing we didn't expect, and we're playing with many other pirates. How is this like NMS? Don't say "content" as there's plenty to do with friends, that's the main focus.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
In! And this pirate select screen is all I will see for the next hour! lol. Should have just let you choose your own as all I can get are old raggedy granny pirates.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I'd lean pretty firmly on "no" for this, at least in terms of being worthwhile only as single-player. Playing alone is a good step for learning (and fun as a small part of a broader experience), but so much meat is built around the social layer over the sailing/combat/exploring. And all it would take is one crew wanting to mess with you to basically stop any progress in a given session.

First impression

Xbox has its no mans sky

Eh, so much of the criticism of No Man's Sky was a lack of social play and the feeling that the random generation meant nothing felt like it was made with human agency.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
OK I actually decided to stop being an idiot and take on a skeleton fort with a few other guys, and I have to say: even when played as intended, these things seriously need some changes. They're the only part of the game that I'd honestly call a tedious slog.

1. The skeleton-manned cannons are just ridiculous. Even ignoring their impossible range and accuracy, skeletons should not be able to randomly respawn in the towers and start blasting away at your ship. Just getting near the island and taking them out is hard enough, I don't want to have to keep an eye on my ship just to make sure it's not getting covertly demolished every other minute.

2. Way too many waves. I could understand if there was a lot of variation, but I've done this three times now and I was already seeing repeated waves the first time around. Normal, gold, shadow, and plant skeletons, rinse and repeat until the captain shows up.

3. The skeleton AI is just not fun to fight in large groups. The swordplay is whatever but it was always like that and I don't really have a problem with it. What I have a problem with are the gun-toting skellies that lock onto you with perfect aim and are almost impossible to dodge. These are annoying enough in small quantities during normal quests, but when you have 5 of them taking aim at you while you're already fending off aggressive sword-wielders, it's just flat out obnoxious. In addition, why on earth do they all have a banana in their back pocket to heal with? It's absurd to require a full ammo clip just to take out one lone skeleton in a group of 15.

It seems like these forts are balanced for every other player on the server to be joining in the fight, and I've yet to see that happen because no one wants to stick around and tough it out against annoying enemies for 30 minutes to an hour hoping that more randoms decide to come along and help, especially when there's a good chance of being robbed of all the loot by some guys who roll up in a bigger ship than you. It's just too much risk and grindy effort for the reward at the end.
yeah im doing this right now and every new wave just ellicits "for real?" from my crew even though theyre in good spirits about it so far. there should really be some way to tell how far along you are

StreelyDan

Mar 7, 2018
Haven't even really played yet. How are US servers?
Once you get in, my experience has been pretty stable, but there are some bugs...people have had issues with their gold and experience not showing up when they log in...I also had a problem with some of my inventory items disappearing, and I could only fix it by restarting the game (primarily playing on PC).

Virtua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played 20 min and never want to go back. I can hang out with friends in better games and not be bored.

TBH i hate MMOs, I could never understand the appeal of playstation home or second life or any of those "simulation" type games that aim to create social spaces. I'd rather be sitting in a DBFZ lobby or overwatch group.

Status
Not open for further replies.