jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am curious at Jason saying all of BGS was hands-on-deck with Fallout 76 and that Starfield didn't really enter production until 2019 - Todd and co. have said multiple times it's been in dev longer than that, and while I know todd's 'sweet little lies' is a meme for a reason, it feels like kind of a pointless thing to obfuscate/lie about on their part.
He's not lying. The game has been in development for years, as he said. It's typical for AAA companies to have a small team of folks brainstorming and prototyping for future projects as the rest are finishing the next one. Full production is a different story.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I mean he did imply that lockheart didn't exist
Anyone using this needs to remember folks with MS info went back n forth on Lockhart.

Other ppl with reliable info did too.

Using that as any metric isnt good.

I'll say this, like I said about another person with info...

Even if I dont agree with it, they are usually spot on.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
He's not lying. The game has been in development for years, as he said. It's typical for AAA companies to have a small team of folks brainstorming and prototyping for future projects as the rest are finishing the next one. Full production is a different story.

Considering this full production includes a new game engine (or a heavily modified one), I am assuming it would just increase the development time by quite a large margin, would that be in the correct ballpark?

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Why do we keep getting high/profile actual insiders responding to UserNameTV handled with barely any followers pushing rumors? Who thinks Starfield is anywhere close when we've seen literally just a logo?

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
This isn't surprising at all. I said it in a past thread: reports Microsoft wanted the game to come out this year aren't the same as reports Bethesda thought it would be ready to come out this year. Microsoft wanted Halo to come out last year, that wasn't ready either so it didn't happen.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why do we keep getting high/profile actual insiders responding to UserNameTV handled with barely any followers pushing rumors? Who thinks Starfield is anywhere close when we've seen literally just a logo?
This was just one of many rumors I've seen about the game coming this year. I retweeted that one but haven't even been able to keep track of them all.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some were really saying this would be a 2021 game....

Oct 25, 2017

You're not saying things I want to hear, but I appreciate you doing it. Keep up the great work!

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Halo Infinite has to be this year. It just has to be. this is among the driest console launch windows I've ever seen.

Bring the rain MS.

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
To be fair, that logo was shown three years ago. So it's fair to assume that the development at least has come along way since

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Just release it when it's ready, I don't want another Skyrim PS3/Fallout 76 situation honestly. I'm ok with a fall 2022 release if it means to have a very polished game

On the other hand, we might not get TESVI by the end of this generation lol

Sep 7, 2020
Hey Jason, I know that you have explicitly said that don't have any expectations in terms of game releases and announcements for 2021 and likely into 2022. Are you excited for anything for E3 that may possibly be there? I personally am not expecting much but just interested if you may be excited for see a few things.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Some were really saying this would be a 2021 game....
Even worse, people were believing that the game was already done for a year and they were just sitting on it for polishing.
This was just one of many rumors I've seen about the game coming this year. I retweeted that one but haven't even been able to keep track of them all.
Given your tweets that apparently there is a specific date already being targeted, do you think that they will be explicit about the date in E3, even if its far away and has a high likelyhood of a delay given everything?
EDIT: I see you have clarified it on twitter, thanks.

Last edited:

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The drama continues. And you're going to get people now believing it will release January 1st 2022, midnight launch after this news.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
"Keep expectations in check" should be the slogan of Xbox events.

I mean, I really do hope they pull some surprises out on E3. So, yeah, these are my expectations. But lately, we've been hearing about 'don't expect this' and 'don't expect that' - if the highlight of the event is Evil Within 2 coming to Game Pass or something….

Anyway, I'm fine with 2022 for Starfield, as long as it's not, like, December.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

Right, but while I'll have to try and dig up the quote, I'm fairly certain Todd during one interview says (or at least strongly implies) something like 'it's been full-steam' since Fallout 4 DLCs or w/e - hence the disconnect between that statement and yours regarding production not starting til 2019.

Mayhap I'm misremembering tho.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Starfield plus Halo would have been such an amazing combo in Q4 to be honest. I'm still hoping for it even against all rational haha.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Keep expectations in check" should be the slogan of Xbox events.

I mean, I really do hope they pull some surprises out on E3. So, yeah, these are my expectations. But lately, we've been hearing about 'don't expect this' and 'don't expect that' - if the highlight of the event is about Evil Within 2 coming to Game Pass or something….

Anyway, I'm fine with 2022 for Starfield, as long as it's not, like, December.
They've had to because of this dumb trend for unrealistic expectations. People hype themselves up with almost no grounds to do so, then blame them for not delivering. No wonder they temper expectations.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I mean with updated features like climbing ladders opening endless possibilities of gameplay it was only a matter of time this got pushed back a few years to take advantage of this modern feature..

Unless they expand with staff, I don't see the next Elder Scrolls happening until the end of the generation. Where does that leave post game support for Starfield? The gap between titles is just massive and will be interesting if Microsoft remains ok with this.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I actually saw quite a few people saying 2021, at least up until maybe a week ago. Then it shifted to early 2022 which still seems to be earlier than whats being indicated by Jason.

The 'conversation' was basically echoing/updating with whatever Grubb +/- one or two other leakers were saying, so that tracks, lol.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually saw quite a few people saying 2021, at least up until maybe a week ago. Then it shifted to early 2022 which still seems to be earlier than whats being indicated by Jason.

i remember one person saying it could come in 2021 and mostly everyone else saying "yeah lol sure jan"

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
They've had to because of this dumb trend for unrealistic expectations. People hype themselves up with almost no grounds to do so, then blame them for not delivering. No wonder they temper expectations.

My expectations are "do at least half of what Sony did on their event 11 friggin months ago, and I'll be happy". Release date for Halo. Actual gameplay trailers for a few upcoming games.

Is this unrealistic? I don't know, but that's what I'm expecting. I don't want another hour-long ad for Game Pass or Bethesda.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
You gotta love the fact that Jason is blacklisted from Bethesda and he still tried to keep people's expectations in check in regards with the lead up to Fallout 76 and now a possible release date with Starfield, lol.

Anyways, I was team early 2022 but now If it releases by Fall 2022 I'll be pleaseantly surprised.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
This is obviously disappointing, but expected. I don't have an XSX or PC (yet), but Bethesda has a special place in my heart for Oblivion and Morrowind (and lesser extend Skyrim). Hopefully we see some gameplay because I am interested in seeing what they have cooking. I want to see if Bethesda is returning to form.

The positive is more time in the oven should mean a higher quality product. I prefer Starfield to take as much time as it needs to properly blow us all away. There is added pressure with being a platform exclusive so I am sure Xbox is willing to give them as much time as they need.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Also if this came out in holiday 2022, what would the ETA be on ES6? I wonder if those games have 2 separate teams because if not are we looking at like 2025-2026 for it?! Insanity lol