Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
All kinds of interesting things live in the sea, but I've never really though about scallops.

Did you know that scallops have eyes? They actually can have 200 of them! They have some kind of special retina that reflects light and lets thme see all around them.

They can move too! I bet you've never seen a scallop swim but apparently they can by opening and closing the shell really fast.

220px-Opened_scallop_shell.jpg

That's all of its guts in there, and people just eat them. It's kind of gross right? It's all packed inside of a little shell.

They're also 200 million years old. As a species I mean. Scallops have been around for a long time.

Post some more weird creatures or scallop facts if you want.

You can't just mention swimming scallops and leave us hanging! Look, now I had to go look up a video all by my lonesome.

. . .I dunno if I'm just tired, but this is kinda funny not gonna lie.

Last edited:

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Man scallops are fucking delicious. They're like the filet mignon of the sea.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Gorgeous fucking things. I thank them for their service to the plate.

scallops_0.jpg

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So you open up an animal to see it's guts and go "hey gross right? This is weird. We eat these." Is this a stealth vegan thread? šŸ˜‚

yes that's just a joke

Gnomepowered

Nov 23, 2018
That's all of its guts in there, and people just eat them. It's kind of gross right? It's all packed inside of a little shell.

To be fair, with scallops we (mostly) just eat that big round part, which is the muscle they use to open and close the shell. The guts don't really come into it (now oysters, mussels, and clams....)

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
No hibachi meal is complete without steak and scallops...

Oh and that onion volcano thing...

OP
OP
Shining Star

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
To be fair, with scallops we (mostly) just eat that big round part, which is the muscle they use to open and close the shell. The guts don't really come into it (now oysters, mussels, and clams....)

I think we eat the big orange part and the whiter part, but I could be wrong.

btw I looked up mussels but they're not that interesting. They just kind of sit around on rocks absorbing water. I'm certain one would lose to a scallop in a fight.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairy sure Spongebob had swimming scallops which is fucking with me

They do swim. Basically just open and close quickly to push water as a propellant. They're not particularly fast though. I've been scalloping a lot and most of the time they don't even react to you picking them up.

btw I looked up mussels but they're not that interesting. They just kind of sit around on rocks absorbing water. I'm certain one would lose to a scallop in a fight.

I've only ever seen someone eat the white part. That's the only thing that's "meat". You typically just scoop out the rest and toss it.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Not really a fan of eating any of the mollusks, tbh. Then I got sick twice from clam chowder and once from scallops so I just decided I was allergic and had an excuse not to keep eating them.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
All kinds of interesting things live in the sea, but I've never really though about scallops.

Did you know that scallops have eyes? They actually can have 200 of them! They have some kind of special retina that reflects light and lets thme see all around them.

They can move too! I bet you've never seen a scallop swim but apparently they can by opening and closing the shell really fast.

220px-Opened_scallop_shell.jpg

They're also 200 million years old. As a species I mean. Scallops have been around for a long time.

Post some more weird creatures or scallop facts if you want.
You can't just mention swimming scallops and leave us hanging! Look, now I had to go look up a video all by my lonesome.

. . .I dunno if I'm just tired, but this is kinda funny not gonna lie.

Gnomepowered

Nov 23, 2018

It's just the whiter part- that's why scallops taste so different from other shellfish that you eat whole (and next time you eat them, bite one open and you'll see no guts on the inside).

This is also why counterfeit scallops are a thing, which are just chunks of ray/skate fin hole punched into a scallop shape.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Most scallops that you'll have out at a medium priced restaurant or that you'd buy from the supermarket aren't scallops, but something like skate or dogfish. I think scallops are considered "The most counterfeit fish," and fish is generally considered the most counterfeit food.

G00Is2z.png

NF7WUnA.png

Still, I like whatever I'm eating when it's called scallops.

Especially in New England, New York, the east coast, where dogfish and skate are plentiful (dogfish/mudfish are now the most plentiful fish along the gulf of maine and there's very little appetite for them in the US), while scallops are pretty damn hard to harvest. The big thing you see now is "Diver caught scallops" at restaurants, which is complete bull shit. There's no way that there's enough divers to catch enough scallops to make a fucking Friday night menu in New York City or Boston.

Last edited:

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Made pan seared scallops for the first time a while back and I was in heaven. It was even better due to the fact that they were jumbo scallops which I didn't know existed.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Is global warming going to kill of Shrimp and Scallops too? That will make me sad

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Scallops are one of those foods that I didn't learn to like when I was too young to think about what I was eating (if that makes sense) so they didn't really get normalized as a food for me. Now the idea of eating them is weird and gross to me.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
The white part is usually all you eat. You can eat the rest which is the stomach and the frill but it is not as common. The frill is like the filter so eating it I believe is not the best for you. I have had the stomach and its good.