For US politics and election threads

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Nancy Mace is a crazy person. Nobody in their right mind should ever take her seriously. Like, how do you listen to her and not go, "What the flying fuck?"

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Also, our apologies. It was set to max 25 words by mistake, that has been rectified.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
First thread in the new subforum, congrats OP.

Regarding the video, yeah this was bad. She's tried to dunk on George a few times already since it happened and it just never lands because she can't really answer the question to anyone's satisfaction and instead deflects and makes it about her.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So joking about the money she's getting means she wasn't raped? Isn't she, as a rape victim, allowed to process her trauma how she sees fit by Mace's own logic? And by Mace's own logic isn't she shaming Carroll? Jesus christ

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The justification of it not being a criminal court case is ridiculous. Truth is even if that criteria (convicted in a criminal court case) had somehow been reached the goal-post would just be further moved.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Holy shit... this woman is crazy.

The mental gymnastics of this person is insane. You are supporting a rapist.
How is it shaming to ask you a rape victim, how can you support a rapist? Such insanity.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Nancy Mace is an opportunist. And with the current GOP, her thinking it is going to be offensive pretzels. It will be curious if she can keep Charleston/Hilton Head or not over time.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
"Stop shaming me for siding with a rapist!", says the rape victim whilst pouncing on the other rape victim... That's some defence right there.

These people are f*cking crazy.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
She knows precisely what she's doing. Scoring points on the national scale to further her career long term. How she looks herself in the mirror at night, like anyone in politics voting for a true lunatic is beyond me. It doesn't matter what the man says or does, he's on the right side of the dividing line, therefore he's golden. Everything across that line will erode the foundations of this country. God bless America.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely cringe exchange and further highlights that this party has no platform other than being a party of grievances and Trump. Anything is justified in the name of God Emperor Trump.

Oct 26, 2017
So she doesn't believe E. Jean Carroll because it was a civil case?

Did Nancy Mace take her case to a criminal court? Because that is an extremely high bar to believe a rape victim, "had to have won a criminal case".

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Nancy Mace is an opportunist. And with the current GOP, her thinking it is going to be offensive pretzels. It will be curious if she can keep Charleston/Hilton Head or not over time.
I would expect that she wins at least a couple more terms in SC-01, but that district is not going to stay friendly long-term - even with them shoring it up in redistricting this past cycle she's already underperformed the district's lean in the general, and the Collins-esque reputation she's tried to cultivate in the GOP is also already the kind that risks strong primaries elsewhere.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
I really wish he had just straight-up said "Of course I'm shaming you. It's a shameful thing to do. How do you sleep at night?" etc.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
She has always come across as someone who will do or say anything and change her position 180 degrees in order to remain in power.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I'm glad he finished with 'we'll let the viewers decide' lol. I'm also glad he straight up said she's supporting a rapist.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
TLDW: She just repeats over and over and over again "You're shaming me by asking this." "Jean Carol made a mockery of rape by laughing about the judgment" "It was only a civil trial"

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
So let me play devils advocate for a second:

.. What was their discussion BEFORE this video started? What was her purpose on coming on the show? Was the intent of the interview "We know this woman has been raped, so let's ask her why she supports this rape victim" ... was that the premise of bringing her on the show? Did SHE know that was the first questions he was going to be asked? Why did she think she was being interviewed... like what was the whole context of this whole interview?!

Okay now back to the actual video: , yeah she's absolutely nuts that she's like "it wasn't a criminal court" and "she joked about it" was like, her excuse for saying its okay Trump raped his victim? What?!!?

I've never heard of this person before this video. Like she could just be a little more honest, "I'm appalled by the actions of Trump and think what he did is absolutely horrible, especially as a rape victim... BUT I still think he's a better candidate over Joe Biden!" Like, I would mildly respect that response more than the one where she excuses Trump alltogether.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Remember folks; civil cases don't really count in sexual assault cases….😒

Crazy to sit there iand accuse someone of delegitimizing their sexual assault while then doing the same to E. Jean Carol; she should be joyous. A jury of her peers believed her and her assaulter has to pay out the ass now.

Oct 25, 2017
man I know that's why I would never be able to have a job like that but I would have said "yeah I'm shaming you for defending a rapist you fucking piece of shit, you should be ashamed of yourself for daring to use your own supposed rape experience to defend him, fuck you".

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
The justification of it not being a criminal court case is ridiculous. Truth is even if that criteria (convicted in a criminal court case) had somehow been reached the goal-post would just be further moved.

There actually are different evidentiary standards. It's much much easier to get a verdict in a civil case than criminal. It's an important distinction that matters in many contexts when it comes up.

Not that I think her answer was any good because, taking the jury verdict at face value, he more likely than not is a rapist. It's pretty difficult to hand wave that away.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There actually are different evidentiary standards. It's much much easier to get a verdict in a civil case than criminal. It's an important distinction that matters in many contexts when it comes up.

Not that I think her answer was any good because, taking the jury verdict at face value, he more likely than not is a rapist. It's pretty difficult to hand wave that away.
I don't doubt that. I was mainly trying to convey that the difference wouldn't have really mattered to whether she carried water for Trump. It's purely for political convenience.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Tone policing how someone reacts to winning a case that's overshadowed their life for so long.

So ridiculously brazen, and utterly craven. I'm assuming she lacks even the slightest self awareness.

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
Frankly, shame on the cable news/tv networks that keep having her on all the time. She yells at her staff (that has a huge turnover) to get her on TV. She's a pathological attention seeker like Trump.

Last edited:

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
I don't doubt that. I was mainly trying to convey that the difference wouldn't have really mattered to whether she carried water for Trump. It's purely for political convenience.

Oh absolutely. This woman would clearly do anything to get ahead. Unfortunately this kind of rhetoric will resonate with her voters. That's the real shame.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Frankly, shame on the cable news/tv networks that keep having her on all the time. She yells at her staff (that has a huge turnover) to get her on TV. She's a pathological attention seeker like Trump.
also just in general she's one of those "moderate darlings" like a certain former user here always used to dub Republicans like her, Collins, John Roberts, and Romney, where they talk a big "moderate-sounding" game where they're trying to get wooly moderates and centrists to think "at least they aren't as bad as (usually) Trump!" and then in reality their voting record is some of the worst most inhuman garbage possible

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Her trying to flip the dynamic of shaming back on the interviewer after making a snide comment about EJC joking about the ruling is some heinous stuff. I hope her willingness to throw another woman's rape under the bus of her ambition haunts her until her dying day

Oct 27, 2017
It takes a certain type of person to use their trauma as a cudgel, only the most cynical people attempt to pull shit like this

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
I don't want to say much about the entire exchange, because while she might know exactly what she is doing here, I can't be certain about it. Trauma responses can be all over the place and she was repeatedly pushed back into the subject.

But I will not let her comment at 00:28 slide. Just vile. It already takes so much for victims to come forward, as I myself sadly know all too well, but these kinds of comments make it even harder for other victims to come forward.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
"Stop shaming me for siding with a rapist!", says the rape victim whilst pouncing on the other rape victim... That's some defence right there.

These people are f*cking crazy.

I kept waiting for George to make that connection more clear in the argument to sideline her filibustering.

Like: "You have repeatedly stated your fears and concerns of being shamed or defamed for opening up about your rape history and I agree that it takes great courage, so why are you not supportive of E. Jean Carroll for her bravery as a fellow survivor?"

Feel he could have really pressed her harder on the civil vs. criminal distinction too. I don't think most women will find they give a shit when it comes to sharing their pain.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't think anyone is buying her moderate schtick anymore. She had a script and did her damnedest to not deviate at all from it.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
even more, her answer to why she's supporting an insurrectionist and criminal is "well my voters are over it and they don't care".

what? so because her base is nuts and don't think he committed rape, led an insurrection, and is a criminal on multiple accounts....means she doesn't care either?

the logic...is special

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Every election cycle, the GOP runs a variation on the Palin playbook, with diminishing results. "Ooh, she's pretty and went to college and we're letting her talk into a microphone!" And they don't realize it falls flatter every time because the never account for the crazy. You'll see it again when Katie Britt gets pushed even harder in 2028.

Mar 11, 2020
Glad he didn't put up with that, wish he would have prodded her why she thinks that is offensive to her cause it's not about you lady, he would have asked that to any person endorsing him and she seemed offended just because he asked...

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
So if there's no criminal court conviction it didn't happen? 🤔 If you make a jokes about a verdict that wasn't for the assault but for your attacker defaming you your assault is invalidated?

This minimum word requirement is stupid.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
So if there's no criminal court conviction it didn't happen? 🤔 If you make a jokes about a verdict that wasn't for the assault but for your attacker defaming you your assault is invalidated?

This minimum word requirement is stupid.
It's classic GOP brain rot. The Republicans in Congress think this way so their supporters do as well.

Same thing we've seen with Jan 6th and every other Trump crime that has happened in plain sight. 'Yes, he was impeached but he wasn't convicted so it's not that bad!"

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
It would seem my first impression of her regarding that Scarlet letter stunt of hers is still holding true. She's just so... plainly cynical but that's the GOP all over.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
She's just another variation of the moderate-woman formula that the republicans always run. She's in on the game but this feels so much more ghoulish than their normal attempts.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.), whom Haley endorsed in 2022 against a Trump-backed GOP challenger, threw her support behind Trump this week after coming to Washington in 2021 with declarations of becoming a "new voice" for the Republican Party.
Mace was so angry at Trump during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol that she discussed with aides the prospect of confronting the rioters so she could get punched and become the face of anti-Trump Republicans, according to former staffers familiar with the incident, who spoke on the condition of anonymity out of fear of retribution.
Mace — who also declared to her staff during the riot that she was a "never-Trumper" — made the comments while she was hiding with staff in her office in the Cannon House building as they watched rioters march through the Capitol on television. If there was video of her challenging rioters on social media, it could give credence to her anti-Trump position, these people said of Mace's thinking at the time. Staffers pushed back against their then-freshman boss, citing guidance from U.S. Capitol Police. Mace eventually set aside the idea, according to the people.
Asked for comment, Mace did not directly address the episode. "What you write doesn't pass for real journalism," Mace said.

Mace is like this dude:

View: https://twitter.com/jmart/status/1766215286431043976

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.), whom Haley endorsed in 2022 against a Trump-backed GOP challenger, threw her support behind Trump this week after coming to Washington in 2021 with declarations of becoming a "new voice" for the Republican Party.

Mace was so angry at Trump during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol that she discussed with aides the prospect of confronting the rioters so she could get punched and become the face of anti-Trump Republicans, according to former staffers familiar with the incident, who spoke on the condition of anonymity out of fear of retribution.

Mace — who also declared to her staff during the riot that she was a "never-Trumper" — made the comments while she was hiding with staff in her office in the Cannon House building as they watched rioters march through the Capitol on television.
If there was video of her challenging rioters on social media, it could give credence to her anti-Trump position, these people said of Mace's thinking at the time. Staffers pushed back against their then-freshman boss, citing guidance from U.S. Capitol Police. Mace eventually set aside the idea, according to the people.

Asked for comment, Mace did not directly address the episode. "What you write doesn't pass for real journalism," Mace said.

Mace is like this dude:

Nah, he was a crazy as county sheriff too. The only credit I'll give is that he may have been faking it on his way to Congress.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017

Mace — who also declared to her staff during the riot that she was a "never-Trumper" — made the comments while she was hiding with staff in her office in the Cannon House building as they watched rioters march through the Capitol on television.
If there was video of her challenging rioters on social media, it could give credence to her anti-Trump position, these people said of Mace's thinking at the time. Staffers pushed back against their then-freshman boss, citing guidance from U.S. Capitol Police. Mace eventually set aside the idea, according to the people.

Mace is like this dude:

This says a lot about Nancy, as she looks at a situation like January 6th, as it's fucking happening in front of her eyes and she thinks "how can I make this politically advantageous for me?"

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How can anyone listen to this and think it's coherent? There's such hypocrisy in this clearly pre-formulated gotcha response, it's embarrassing.

It's not surprising, though. The moment she began fabricating bullshit in an attempt to discredit AoC's description of the insurrection, it was obvious that she was a shit peddling hypocrite.