E_i

Oct 27, 2017
MayAR1T.png

What is the Sandman?

The Sandman is a series created by Neil Gaiman in 1989. It entails the ventures of the god of dreams, Dream of the Endless, in realms that transcend the boundaries of human comprehension. A rich blend of modern myth and dark fantasy in which contemporary fiction, historical drama and legend are seamlessly interwoven, The Sandman follows the people and places affected by the Dream King, as he mends the cosmic--and human--mistakes he's made during his vast existence. With interesting and terrifying twists of mythology, The Sandman is a story about stories and how Morpheus is captured and subsequently learns that sometimes change is inevitable.
(Taken from the Sandman Wiki)

Premiere Date - August 5th Netlix
11 episodes.
The series will cover the first two books. Preludes & Nocturnes and The Doll's House

Cast:

Sandman - Tom Sturridge
tCBIuic.jpg

Lucifer - Gwendoline Christie
ZAM4bC3.jpg

Rest of the cast:
z0I4bOM.png

IMDB - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1751634/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Trailer:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ClbRPRDXU

First look:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBXqrBl6pEo

Clips:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0v_A6gBTQM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHVzc386yRI

Dave McKean WILL BE DOING THE END CREDIT SCENES FOR EACH FUCKING EPISODE!!!

Also:

Audiobooks (cast is different from Netflix show):

Act I:

Act II:

Rottentomatoes:
89%

And yes, you must read the subtitle of the thread in Tom Sturridge's Sandman voice.

Last edited:

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this. It's great. It's pretty much a word-for-word translation, minus a few tweaks to the story to make it a bit more cohesive/less anthology like.

Light spoilery thing:

They nail "The Diner"

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried the only miscast here is Patton, who I love but I feel like it will take me out of the scene when he speaks.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic.

My only experience with sandman is the audiobook and I loved act 1 but I dropped act 2 near the end as the stories were not as interesting to me; act 2 felt it peaked with its first arc

Last edited:

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I love the Sandman comics, it helped shaped my perspective on not just the concept of stories but also on just living.

So I really really hope this delivers. Please.

Dave McKean WILL BE DOING THE END CREDIT SCENES FOR EACH FUCKING EPISODE!!!

That is rad.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for Jenna as Constantine. I only have a few of the standalone Sandman trades that don't factor into to the larger story so most of the content in this is going to be completely new to me.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I saw this. It's great. It's pretty much a word-for-word translation, minus a few tweaks to the story to make it a bit more cohesive/less anthology like.

As someone who only saw the first episode in the online premiere thing i have to ask

Are the others more like the begining of the first (with all the collages) or more like the second half, with generic calleidoscope stuff ?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's finally here. I saw footage of it last year and I was really floored by what I saw but a lot of FX weren't done. But the casting and scenes were straight out of the book it was very satisfying.

Stephen Fry as Gilbert is so good.

PRAYING we get more seasons - considering Netflix's passion for cancelling things and the chaos over at Warner Bros.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hope this is good. Sandman was huge for me for the time I was reading the main series.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
how come so many Era members have seen this btw? Well like 2 or 3 Era members at least :D

ARE YOU SECRET INDUSTRY PEOPLE CONFESS!!

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I'm cautiously optimistic.

My only experience with sandman is the audiobook and I loved act 1 but I dropped act 2 near the end as the stories were not as interesting to me; felt it peaked with its first arc
Yeah, I tried getting into the books and it just didn't seem for me, so I'm not quite raving to see the show, but I do want to check it out for how goth it is and because I figure a modern TV series will be a lot more engaging a way to experience the story.

Ratadad

Nov 22, 2021

Light spoilery thing:

They nail "The Diner"

Interesting. The Diner scene is among the most chilling/fucked up things I've ever read in fiction. Really had no idea how far they'd go.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

Light spoilery thing:

They nail "The Diner"
Only saw the first 6 eps but I totally agree. Never read the comics but that episode blew me away.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Oh that's an easy one:

194161.jpg

Hell yeah.

I keep digging everything I'm hearing about this.

Part of me wishes it had a staggered release, even though it would still annoy me not being able to binge it all in a weekend :p I do think it would be cool to have more individual discussions about each episode for a show like this.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, my weekend is booked.

Normally I don't binge shows, I like to spread it out, make it last longer. But since Netflix only considers shows to be "successful" if they're watched all at once, I want to help this one out.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Really can't wait for this, probably my favourite comic. I have a Death tattoo and everything! Back in the early 90's, I would spend Sunday afternoons going to Camden Market in London, picking up the latest Sandman (amongst others) and then finding a pub by the lock where I could have a pint whilst I read the latest stories. I probably read it once a year and it still amazes me how well it's aged.

Anyhoo... release times stolen from https://netflixlife.com/2022/08/04/the-sandman-release-time-zone-international/

• Hawaii: 9:00 p.m. HST on Thursday, August 4
  • Alaska: 11:00 p.m. AKDT on Thursday, August 4
  • West Coast of the US: 12:00 a.m PT on Friday, August 5
  • Mountain Time of the US: 1:00 a.m. MT on Friday, August 5
  • Midwest of the US: 2:00 a.m. CT on Friday, August 5
  • East Coast of the US: 3:00 a.m. ET on Friday, August 5
  • Brazil: 4:00 a.m. BRT on Friday, August 5
  • England: 8:00 am BST on Friday, August 5
  • France: 9:00 a.m. CEST on Friday, August 5
  • Germany: 9:00 a.m. CEST on Friday, August 5
  • Italy: 9:00 a.m. CEST on Friday, August 5
  • Spain: 9:00 a.m. CEST on Friday, August 5
  • Israel: 10:00 a.m. IDT on Friday, August 5
  • South Africa: 9:00 a.m. SAST on Friday, August 5
  • Dubai, UAE: 11:00 a.m. GST on Friday, August 5
  • India: 12:30 p.m. IST on Friday, August 5
  • South Korea: 4:00 p.m. KST on Friday, August 5
  • Japan: 4:00 p.m. KST on Friday, August 5
  • Sydney, Australia: 5:00 p.m. AEST on Friday, August 5

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Tomorrow is going to be quite the TV night with Both Prey and Sandman releasing all at once.

What a time to be alive.

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017

Light spoilery thing:

They nail "The Diner"
Damnit. How explicit? As in, my partner and I dropped Invincible and The Boys because we disliked the visceral depiction of violence and gore but I wanted to watch this with him.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
*Gestures at avatar*

Words cannot explain just how important The Sandman is to me. It changed my way of thinking, how I look at stories and how I relate to the world around me. It is, by far, the most meaningful work of fiction I've ever experienced. I realize that Netflix is probably going to cancel this after the first season, but I'm just happy that they made a respectful adaptation.

I'm also in love with the casting.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Damnit. How explicit? As in, my partner and I dropped Invincible and The Boys because we disliked the visceral depiction of violence and gore but I wanted to watch this with him.

I really want to share this with my 13 yr old, can anyone say how explicit "that" scene is?

Here is a "released" example of gore on the show :

View: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CguRJhYLaGc/
www.instagram.com

John Cameron Mitchell on Instagram: "@neilhimself’s astonishing @thesandmanofficial starts on @netflix aug 5. A Dream come true!"

2,041 likes, 64 comments - johncameronmitchell on August 1, 2022: "@neilhimself’s astonishing @thesandmanofficial starts on @netflix aug 5. A Dream come true!".

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a "released" example of gore on the show :

View: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CguRJhYLaGc/
www.instagram.com

John Cameron Mitchell on Instagram: "@neilhimself’s astonishing @thesandmanofficial starts on @netflix aug 5. A Dream come true!"

2,041 likes, 64 comments - johncameronmitchell on August 1, 2022: "@neilhimself’s astonishing @thesandmanofficial starts on @netflix aug 5. A Dream come true!".

Thanks for sharing. I think that might be the nail in the coffin. Unless we can specifically skip the episode/scenes. Really bummed, because that cast lineup is incredible.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
*Gestures at avatar*

Words cannot explain just how important The Sandman is to me. It changed my way of thinking, how I look at stories and how I relate to the world around me. It is, by far, the most meaningful work of fiction I've ever experienced. I realize that Netflix is probably going to cancel this after the first season, but I'm just happy that they made a respectful adaptation.

I'm also in love with the casting.
I feel the same way *also gestures at avatar*. I've seen a lot of hype for it so I'm hopeful it will get a second season. But I walk in the company of others with similar interests, and I'm of an age where all my friends read it, so my perception of it's popularity may well be skewed.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my weekend is booked.

Normally I don't binge shows, I like to spread it out, make it last longer. But since Netflix only considers shows to be "successful" if they're watched all at once, I want to help this one out.
I'm planning on running it on my Mac while I'm sleeping so the views count. It sucks but that's what Netflix wants.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Question about a small detail in the first episode:

Is the Raven that appear in this episode a reference to something I missed or 100% a creation for this episode?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize it was this week, thought it was later. Excited to watch it.

Oct 29, 2017
I really want to ask Neil Gaiman if there was any plans on making a Death spin-offs. But I was too nervous. I'm going to start watching tonight