Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Those remasters have been true bangers.

ss_864f54ab5367c0478c5fa88e1613022ebe6a90f0.1920x1080.jpg

Looks great, completely redone gameplay (either controller based or true point and click), very impressed.

Hope they tackle Tales of Monkey Island one day.

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
I really gotta buy these remasters, never played the originals but I enjoy point and click games. I wonder if they could also remaster that Wallace & Gromit game from Telltale eventually too, I also didn't play it but I bet it'd look great remastered to look more claymation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think Devil's Playhouse was the best of the Sam & Max trilogy so seeing it looking this good is pretty great.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta pick up the S2 remaster. They've done a great job with these, the original games looked like straight blender exports. I loved my time with S1 remaster.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, since LRG have Save the World up for preorder right now, I might just go for the PS4 physicals of the whole set (that ship has sailed for the Switch versions). Would be really cool to have permanent versions of all three seasons.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
I should try the remasters of season 1 & 2 but I remember not enjoying them anywhere near as much as season 3.
It felt like the peak of the Telltale engine for me!

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Those remasters have been true bangers.

Looks great, completely redone gameplay (either controller based or true point and click), very impressed.

Hope they tackle Tales of Monkey Island one day.
Studios was seemingly created for the sam and max remasters, but dear God, i never even thought of that possibility. I hope that also happens, that would be amazing.

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
S1/2 were excellent remasters. Looks like S3 will continue the trend. Day 1 and can now begin hoping for Tales from Monkey Island.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
They did a great job with these remasters. Reminds me of Grim Fandango.

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
Now I just need LRG to announce Beyond Time and Space physical for PS4 as well as the collector's edition for the devil's playhouse ❤️.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Wrong thread. This is very good.

Last edited:

hayabusi

Apr 26, 2019
Speaking of which: how well are P&C playable on the Steam Deck?
The ones with Mouse input only, I mean. Like Monkey Island - not sure if the latest maybe has controller support.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
amazing remasters of very good games. I still need to finish season 2.

looking forward to playing Devil's Playhouse for the first time!

like Slaythe said, I hope they do Tales of Monkey Island eventually. played through that series on PS3 and loved it, one of the best things Telltale ever did and low-key the best modern Monkey Island. hell, at this point I would like Skunkape to remaster the whole catalogue since they are doing such a fantastic job.

Sabestar

Aug 25, 2021
Just discovered that Seasons' 1 and 2 remasters also included the original game releases as free DLC (only on PC tho), that's a great way to preserve the old titles. I hope they do the same for this one as well.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I haven't even played through most of the last two seasons I re-bought, but I'm buying this day one to show my appreciation.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
What I'd really love to see is a remake of Sam & Max Hit the Road that maintains the comic book art style.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What I'd really love to see is a remake of Sam & Max Hit the Road that maintains the comic book art style.

Just use a crt or dot matrix filter, and it genuinely looks perfect as is. (you have them natively in scummVM now)

Genuinely not meme-ing with nostalgia. It's phenomenal.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Just discovered that Seasons' 1 and 2 remasters also included the original game releases as free DLC (only on PC tho), that's a great way to preserve the old titles. I hope they do the same for this one as well.
Oh, I didn't know this either. I have the originals, but being able to merge all of the episodes into a single thing per season should be nice since the original releases are all listed as separate episodes in the Steam library.

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Speaking of which: how well are P&C playable on the Steam Deck?
The ones with Mouse input only, I mean. Like Monkey Island - not sure if the latest maybe has controller support.
It really depends on the game but generally it's pretty good because Deck lets you quickly set up joystick or trackpad as mouse, plus there's a touchscreen.

The Sam & Max remasters are built with mouse and gamepad input running simultaneously, so playing on Deck or Switch lets you swap between gamepad and touchscreen (or trackpad) whenever you want.

I played Curse of Monkey Island on Deck and set myself up a quick radial menu in using Steam Input that replicated the verb coin but put it on the left stick so I could quickly pick one of the verbs by moving that stick around almost like selecting dialog in Mass Effect, and it'd hit the hotkey to switch to that verb. So you could always just move the stick up to change your left cursor to "pick up" or down for "talk" etc. Worked surprisingly well. This was a while ago when the deck first shipped so the presentation probably doesnt line up to current SteamOS, but the fundamentals of Steam Input on deck are pretty similar now.

yVYs8Nd.mp4

In kind of the other direction, The Devil's Playhouse remaster is also introducing full proper point and click controls to the game. The original release only had a sort of "click and drag" virtual stick input method on mouse, and clicking the ground did nothing. Now you can still click and drag if you want, but also you can drive the game with just a mouse like the previous two seasons, SCUMM games, etc.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great!
Also finally prompted me to buy the remasters of the first two games on Steam Summer sale

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Nice, I only played through this season once back in the day, looking forward to a replay. The remasters of seasons 1 & 2 were great! There's nothing quite like Sam & Max.

I'm curious what skunkape will move on to next.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
holy hell

That's an insane improvement when TDP already looked great compared to OG seasons 1 and 2 anyway. Updated lighting would've done a lot for that scene as is, the rest is a pure flex.

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
holy hell

That's an insane improvement when TDP already looked great compared to OG seasons 1 and 2 anyway. Updated lighting would've done a lot for that scene as is, the rest is a pure flex.
Not all scenes got that level of overhaul, but the city streets that were basically cubes and windows in the original (which were pervasive across the season) got a lot of love, concepting, and rebuilding. So did the tomb in episode 2, which was the biggest scene in telltales history at the time the game shipped, but the engine version that shipped Walking Dead 4 (which is what these remasters started with in 2019) can easily handle it, so there was space to add a bunch of geometric detail, reinstate the flooded water pools from the original concept art, etc. Places that were already high detail and consistent resolution in the original, like the museum in the third episode, and the lounge interiors in the final episode were a lot closer to "generally upres and add new lighting."

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Not all scenes got that level of overhaul, but the city streets that were basically cubes and windows in the original (which were pervasive across the season) got a lot of love, concepting, and rebuilding. So did the tomb in episode 2, which was the biggest scene in telltales history at the time the game shipped, but the engine version that shipped Walking Dead 4 (which is what these remasters started with in 2019) can easily handle it, so there was space to add a bunch of geometric detail, reinstate the flooded water pools from the original concept art, etc. Places that were already high detail and consistent resolution in the original, like the museum in the third episode, and the lounge interiors in the final episode were a lot closer to "generally upres and add new lighting."
Yeah, looking up the screenshots that were published a while back, those look a lot more in line with what I expect out of these remasters at this point—still very nice improvements, but not this degree of enormous jump.

But if anything deserves the glow up, it's the streets. I distinctly remember praising the artistry of the season's ending sequence all the way back on the Telltale boards at the time, that long, slow pan down the road as the world just keeps on going on around you despite everything. It's a lovely moment and felt so alive in the way that Purcell's art does and in a way that Telltale's usual set dressing couldn't normally muster, and that's all still true, but looking at it again... yeah, those buildings feel pretty rough now.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Cool hearing this background detail! This season definitely felt more ambitious cinematically than 1 & 2.