• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even see the point of this comparison. Ryse does look good considering how old it is tho.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can also embed the video btw.

Ryse still holding up amazingly. I miss the Crytek's that was pushing the boundaries of hardware.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Ryse looks so good. And if you go in expecting middling gameplay that gets repetitive, the game is actually not bad.

It doesn't overstay its welcome.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
You know what, I'll say it, this is the generation where I've seen less graphic advancement.

A game like Ryse could release today and nobody would bat an eye.

At this point last gen, gamed were unrecognizable from the ones launched with the consoles. Now I still think UC4 and The Order are the best looking games around, both old af.

Still, games this gen have been far better and varied.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Animations in ryse are a bit stiff, but the game still looks good. God of war is at another level though, the level of detail on kratos and his animations are some of the best I've seen this gen.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Easy win for God of War overall imo, but Ryse is so damn good for a launch title on a weaker system, imagine if Crytek made a game designed to tackle 1080 Ti's or hell if they made a PS4 exclusive they could probably challenge Sony's best.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Why would it make more sense than Ryse? Because it's newer?

Environnements.

Easy win for God of War overall imo, but Ryse is so damn good for a launch title on a weaker system, imagine if Crytek made a game designed to tackle 1080 Ti's or hell if they made a PS4 exclusive they could probably challenge Sony's best.

The problem isnt tech here. It's art. God of War automatically looks better because thr art direction is gorgeous. While Ryse looks super generic.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
You know what, I'll say it, this is the generation where I've seen less graphic advancement.

At this point last gen, gamed were unrecognizable from the ones launched with the consoles. Now I still think UC4 and The Order are the best looking games around, both old af.

The graphical improvements are also different then we have seen in other generations. Some games prioritize draw distance or the number of objects in a scene etc. instead of just how many polygons can I fit into this character. There is also a great degree of experimentation in art style. As generations push forward If you are looking for the 8 bit to 16 bit or 16 bit to 32 bit style jump you are going to end up being disappointed.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
GoW clearly looks more impressive, but Ryse is still an excellent looking game. Not suprising that it still holds up, Crytek made it.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I also thought TLOU part 2 doesn't really looked that impressive compared to UC4 for instance. I think PS4 is holding back the progress in all honesty. Games like God of War and The Order 1886 somehow managed to push the console to its limit, but the limit has been lowered compared to past console generations.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ryse has the benefit of being a super linear game where there's a lot less in each area for the system to render. It's similar to a lot of last gen games that pushed graphics on consoles, ironically Sony games being the most notable ones. God of War is a lot more open ended so it's impressive that it looks as good as it does while having much grander level design.

You may be on to something. I still think AC Unity is one of the best looking games of the gen especially the PC version.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The difference is that Ryse is pretty much one of the worst offenders when it comes to corridor leveldesign.
The Order is barely a game.
Uncharted at least tries to open up a lot of it's paths.
GoW is the most open of all of them, by far.
Ryse has the benefit of being a super linear game where there's a lot less in each area for the system to render. It's similar to a lot of last gen games that pushed graphics on consoles, ironically Sony games being the most notable ones. God of War is a lot more open ended so it's impressive that it looks as good as it does while having much grander level design.
This

Nautilus

Oct 30, 2017
Ryse looks good for how old it is, but GoW is way better. The difference may be a bit nuanced, but the depth of textures and subtleties in the animations and lighting puts it way over Ryse.

I mean comparing these doesn't really matter, GoW just has tech that Ryse never had access to.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Ryse was my first taste of next gen'ish game when i purchased a gtx 970 years ago. The game actually made me say "Wow", very few games can do that. Zelda breath of the wild was the last game. (the lighting effect as i came up a mountain caught me off guard in that game)

Graphics in Ryse in 4k/60 is no joke.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
We STILL using a freaking launch title for comparisons huh

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
GOW has more content for sure, but i think people go a little overboard with how large in scale it actually is, it's really not an open world game like say Horizon or AC:O. it is pretty much a hub that connects to a bunch of corridors.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
jcpE0Nl.gif

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Yeah, I also thought TLOU part 2 doesn't really looked that impressive compared to UC4 for instance. I think PS4 is holding back the progress in all honesty. Games like God of War and The Order 1886 somehow managed to push the console to its limit, but the limit has been lowered compared to past console generations.
I think it's because of the easier architecture. That's not a bad thing, the easier times devs get, the better. And let's be honest, even simple looking games like, say, Fortnite, look great and make justice to their art style.

I think this is the first gen where most things look just right, the thing is that that's been a thing since what, Second Son? More or less.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Comparing a corridor game to a massively open (compared to Ryse) game is silly.

Both look amazing but GoW edges it. Still though, for a launch title, Ryse is still fucking pretty.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's because of the easier architecture. That's not a bad thing, the easier times devs get, the better. And let's be honest, even simple looking games like, say, Fortnite, look great and make justice to their art style.

I think this is the first gen where most things look just right, the thing is that that's been a thing since what, Second Son? More or less.

Except kid Aloy.

maxresdefault.jpg

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

Eh I disagree. The difference between Uncharted 4 and TLoU 2 looks probably more than the difference between say Uncharted 2 and TLoU, and certainly more than GoW 3 and Ascension...Going by the footage being real time at least.

GoW is a decent step up from the Order for me, and if you want more linear games Detroit has higher fidelity again. As for stuff like AC Unity, in terms of open world games, aside from those beautiful indoor textures, Origins and Horizon are a decent improvement, and Spiderman more still. The lighting there is more impressive than what is included in Origins.

Oct 25, 2017
GOW has more content for sure, but i think people go a little overboard with how large in scale it actually is, it's really not an open world game like say Horizon or AC:O. it is pretty much a hub that connects to a bunch of corridors.
Calling the areas off the hub "corridors" is a stretch in most cases. Many areas I've seen are like mini dungeons with multiple interconnected paths. Even the more linear story missions have large areas involving non-linear exploration.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
Pretty impressive for Ryse, but is it running on a $1K system? I'm out of touch on PC gaming.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
TLOU part 2 doesn't really looked that impressive compared to UC4
Weird, it looks infinitely better to me. Everything about it looks better from what we've seen.

Lighting systems, muscle deformation system, skin shading, textures and geometry, animation and especially the faces since they're using an upgraded facial rig.

Even one of the animators said it looks a generation ahead of UC4.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
We've come a long way if you look at both games. We really need more stuff like HDR and higher framerates next gen. Resolution bumps are nothing special in my opinion. I find it hard to tell the difference between 1080p vs. 1440p and 1440p vs. 2160p/cb.

I take it you haven't played God of War yet, then? It's without a doubt the best looking game this gen.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Calling the areas off the hub "corridors" is a stretch in most cases. Many areas I've seen are like mini dungeons with multiple interconnected paths. Even the more linear story missions have large areas involving non-linear exploration.
Yeah, i should be careful when i say corridor, people might think i literally mean FF13 tier corridors, i mean just GOW isn't that open, ive heard a lot of people on youtube, reddit etc say it's open world & after playing for 20 hours you can see it's not quite that open.

mejin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God of War is basically the apex of the union between graphics and art direction imo. Huge difference between Crytek and Santa Monica.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018

Hmm U4 came out in 2016, why wouldn't it look amazing yet? if we compare it to last gen than U2 that came out in 2009 also looked beautiful 2 years after.

More than that, U2 looked great on the PS3 till the very end, and so will U4.

Each gen there are several "breakthrough" titles, those games that finally show us what the current hardware is capable of, obviously games that are coming out later looks better but they are just iterating at this point, it's not the same massive jump that the breakthrough titles did.

U4 is a breakthrough title, you can't expect games from now on to suddenly look like a gen above it, they will improve upon it but they can't wow you as much at this point. You basically experienced this gen's visual jump with U4, and that's fine, this is what usually happens.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I get you. It's definitely not full open world. It's much more traditional Zelda/Darksiders.

But anyway that's not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to talk about Ryse in the year 2018 for some reason.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i dont really see the point of comparison with side by sides. i like DF videos that go into depth of the actual technologies running under the hood of the games. Their GTSport vs Forza 6 video was excellent for that very reason, john did a great job