FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
If Ukraine was to even go to the table it would still be demands of Ukraine's full and unconditional surrender etc etc.

Putin clearly isn't ready to give up anything and is asking for everything.

There is no basis for any kind of talks with Russia at the moment. Diplomacy can only work if the parties involved are interested in a diplomatic solution. What Putin is dreaming of is conquering and subjugation.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
A few shitty right-wing politicians in Canada have used "Anglo-Saxon" as a racial purity dogwhistle in recent years.

I mean, it always has been a racial purity thing, just when it was invented, it was a megaphone instead of a dog whistle, basically justifying American westward expansion, and both American and British imperialism.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I know, it's an old phrase from 19th century bullshit scientific racists to explain the imperial power of the United Kingdom and the rising United States.

The contrast of calling the US Anglo-Saxon when it's lead by a guy famously identifying as an Irish Catholic American is hilarious. Granted, not as hilarious as calling Ukraine a Nazi state when led by a Jew.
Between Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell, McCarthy and the Supreme Court, I don't believe there's a single WASP (the only SC Protestants being Brown-Jackson and Gorsuch, who is ethnically German Catholic). McCarthy is Protestant, but is Scots-Irish and Italian, not Anglo Saxon. I think McConnell is half WASP and half Scots-Irish, meaning the WASP-iest leaders we've had in recent years are Mitch and Barack Obama. You have to go back to GWB and Bill Frist to get the full-on WASP experience.

Last edited:

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017

To be fair, Putin wanted ALL of Ukraine, not to split it up. Heim ins Reich, you know. Like the nazis he so totally hates 👀

I haven't watched the speech, so I can only go by the parts posted here, but it seems it was pretty weak in actual posturing compared to his bluster early in the war.

So to be clear - Putin has annexed lands that he doesn't presently control?

And land they're currently in the process of losing.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Longer the war goes on more likely it's that we start to see Ukraine field tanks like Leopard 2's or Challenger 2's. West clearly wants to give Ukraine big edge against Russia and as war is prolonger more advanced armor will sharpen that edge further.

While at it give Ukraine modern armored IFV's and APC's.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
Between Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell, McCarthy and the Supreme Court, I don't believe there's a single WASP (the only SC Protestants being Brown-Jackson and Gorsuch, who is ethnically German Catholic). McCarthy is Protestant, but is Scots-Irish and Italian, not Anglo Saxon. I think McConnell is half WASP and half Scots-Irish, meaning the WASP-iest leaders we've had in recent years are Mitch and Barack Obama.

I mean, you didn't even bring up Kamala Harris :p

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
There is no basis for any kind of talks with Russia at the moment. Diplomacy can only work if the parties involved are interested in a diplomatic solution. What Putin is dreaming of is conquering and subjugation.

Yeah, diplomacy was tried for many months in the build up to the invasion. Leaders begged Putin not to go ahead and laid out the case why it wouldn't work, even if he managed to conquer the land itself it would be dealing with brutal guerilla warfare for years to come, but they still went ahead.

If Russia wants talks to happen, they need to be acting in good faith first. Sadly, even with all that's happened I don't think they'll be approaching that point any time soon, and it'll be to their own self-destruction.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

dragon-ball-z-vegeta.gif

Zamorro

Oct 25, 2017
If cities like Lyman are now part of Russia, does this mean that the entirety of Russia is now fair game for Ukraine?

I mean what's the difference between Lyman and Belgorod, or Kherson and Moscow? It's all Russia. Might as well go all the way.

But yeah, still it a bit anxious that Russia is going to do something really stupid if Ukraine doesn't "respect" these new fake borders.

bb1173

May 1, 2022
Unfortunately there's a 0% chance NATO will ever accept a member which is actively at war and has parts of its territory occupied. Moldova and Georgia have been in the shitter for the same reason.
I'm sure nato/ukraine know this. this will be for optics, as it will annoy putin/Russia, and show them that ukraine will not be cowed.

Putin: these areas are now Russia.

ukraine: we are applying for nato, which would include those regions!

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately there's a 0% chance NATO will ever accept a member which is actively at war and has parts of its territory occupied. Moldova and Georgia have been in the shitter for the same reason.

Oh, didn't you hear? That terrority isn't ukraines, so they've got no occupied territory and so that's no barrier for them being in NATO.

EagleClaw

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
In Germany anglo-saxon in todays times is used to refere to the nations with common law legal systems.
Maybe that is the same in Russia, not that it matters because Putins speech was a lot of crazy nonsense, going from the middle ages to the future.

Z'ard

"This guy are sick"
Mar 5, 2019
Ukraine
Considering Stoltenberg holding press conference today i doubt NATO membership was a surprise to anyone, maybe for Putin.