Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
According to multiple sources it looks like a new Star Wars animated series is already in the works that could fill in some Crimson Dawn/Darth Maul gaps…

I know we're all still recovering from The Book of Boba Fett trailer, but had some information come in I thought would be worth discussing. About a month ago, I heard from a source that voice recording was underway for a new—as yet unannounced—Star Warsanimated series was going down.

This, along a second source, informed me familiar Star Wars voice actors Dee Bradley Baker, Matt Lanter, and Sam Witwer were recording….something.

While they both mentioned Maul, one source specifically mentioned it was a show about his time running Crimson Dawn BEFORE Solo: A Star Wars Story. I have even heard Paul Bettany is expected to come back to voice Dryden Vos (a character he's already mentioned wanting to return to).

www.cinelinx.com

New Star Wars Animated Series to Focus on Darth Maul’s Shenanigans | Exclusive

According to multiple sources it looks like a new Star Wars animated series is already in the works that could fill in some Crimson Dawn/Darth Maul gaps…

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Is Cinelinx reliable, I've never heard of them before.

Lifejumper

#1 Celtics fan / #7 Serbia fan
Oct 25, 2017
Jordan Maison (the source) has a pretty good track record. So yeah pretty reliable.

I believe he was the first one that scooped KOTOR.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Might we finally see Son of Dathomir animated as a prelude to this series? I certainly hope so.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Only years afterwards. Maul could've been Vader 2.0 if Lucas kept him around for episodes II and III

Not having a central antagonist (Sidious is barely in I and II) really hurt the prequels. also Dooku and Grievous are nowhere near as marketable and "cool" as Maul. I'd love to see an alternate universe where Maul's return happened on film

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
It felt like his story arc was pleasantly completed. I wonder what new stories they can tell.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Only years afterwards. Maul could've been Vader 2.0 if Lucas kept him around for episodes II and III

Vader had presence though, Maul didn't (at the time). Christopher Lee came in to fill that role with the gusto and gravitas that the prequels needed to tide people over until Palpy fully evolved.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
That explains why we have not one but two Crimson Dawn focused comic events coming out through next year lol

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Not having a central antagonist (Sidious is barely in I and II) really hurt the prequels. also Dooku and Grievous are nowhere near as marketable and "cool" as Maul. I'd love to see an alternate universe where Maul's return happened on film

Grievous having a smoker's cough and cheesy voice has to be one of the top 5 worst decisions made with the prequels. His overall design was great but everything else was just so corny.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda hope they go for a family sitcom. Darth Maul as the rebellious kid, Sidious the annoyed father figure who never gets to finish his plans to take over the world since he needs to clean up whatever mess Maul has currently caused, and some new character for comic relief.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda hope they go for a family sitcom. Darth Maul as the rebellious kid, Sidious the annoyed father who never gets to finish his plans to take over the world since he needs to clean up whatever mess Maul has currently caused, and some new character for comic relief.
His brother Savage Oppress

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It felt like his story arc was pleasantly completed. I wonder what new stories they can tell.
The stretch between, with maybe even a bit prior to, Solo and Rebels of where he's helming and ultimately loses his criminal syndicate.

I know everyone seems to just have interest in just Ewan McGregor sitting in a desert from prequel memes by evidence of every other Star Wars show content thread, but it's nice that they are using some of these characters to explore a rich part of the universe that have little room in the films.

Yes, I know there's more to the Kenobi show between flashbacks and sending him off doing something else for some bizarre reason. But that wasn't known when the rumors kicked up and can see the gulf of reactions between it and everything else.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
Might we finally see Son of Dathomir animated as a prelude to this series? I certainly hope so.
Same. The only way Matt Lanter could be involved with this (if he's playing Anakin) would be if Son of Dathomir was being included. It would be a good starting point to a crime/syndicate series as it shows Maul's dealing with the criminal underworld quite a bit.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Maul had plenty of time already. Clone Wars and Rebels more than did him justice. Let's get the new folks up in here already.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
lrtmzTF.png

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I want them to animate those lost clone wars episodes (they got turned into the comic series Son of Dathomir). It would slot in nicely right before the Siege of Mandalore, but it doesn't sound like this will be that

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Everything but rebels 3 sequel.

I know Ashoka is picking up the threads, but I'd really really like more family space adventures that Rebels offered

Paragon

May 5, 2018
Obviously there's a great deal of time between the end of Clone Wars Season 7 and Maul's appearance in Rebels where they can write in new adventures, but between those two series I have my fill of Maul. His role in those series was pretty much perfect, so I don't really need any more of him and I'd rather they'd move on to new characters.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If this is true, I'm guessing this is where they will finally do the canon version of the Maul vs Vader fight that was in the old EU.

Pretty easy to imagine how it'll go. Solo showed that Maul was still running his crime syndicate but then in Rebels, set a few years later, he appears stranded on an old Sith planet and his crime syndicate is seemingly gone, so obviously something happened that causes him to lose everything. Also in Rebels, Maul mentions that he can't defeat Vader on his own, implying that he had fought him in the past and lost.

So in this show, if it's real, we see the Empire trying to hunt Maul down, first starting with the Inquisitors (maybe we see the one that Maul killed and took his lightsaber from), cultivating with the Maul vs Vader fight. Maybe they even do a canon version of the way Vader beats him in the old EU:

5859580-maul%20vs%20vader%2017.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
There's nearly 2 decades of untold Maul stories from when he was secretly running Crimson Dawn until he picks up his revenge trip in Rebels. Like 17 years with just the Solo cameo accounted for. I'd be shocked if it didn't happen, especially with how beloved Witwer's take is.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Solo felt like a set up for something like this and Maul has been best in animation.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I want them to animate those lost clone wars episodes (they got turned into the comic series Son of Dathomir). It would slot in nicely right before the Siege of Mandalore, but it doesn't sound like this will be that
Could be reworked into a pilot easy enough. Do one 90 minute episode. It establishes Death Watch's loyalty to him and they can rework them into the foundation of Crimson Dawn.