Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
There's a rumor starting to circulate on Reddit that The Sims 5 has been cancelled and "Project Rene" developers have been moved back onto The Sims 4. Whether this means the project has been rebooted, renamed, or merely the console version has been shelved is undetermined.

e2Mst7N.png

5xKONcr.png

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Killing the console version makes zero sense. A Sims game that launches day and date on console, and is equally supported with DLC would do very well

The Sims 4 is still doing so well, debatably better than ever, and the DLC pipeline is still so strong, I wonder if they just decided to keep going with that game

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
My bet is on Sims 5 being "cancelled" but not the new Sims game itself.

Fully expect the next sims game will just be called "The Sims".

It being a multi-platform release is probably the biggest aspect up in the air. IMO Sims should do that but EA might not have the resources to do so.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Killing the console version makes zero sense. A Sims game that launches day and date on console, and is equally supported with DLC would do very well

The Sims 4 is still doing so well, debatably better than ever, and the DLC pipeline is still so strong, I wonder if they just decided to keep going with that game
console versions would be a dead game without cc

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
I know a few people who play The Sims exclusively on console, and I'm sure they're not the only ones. If it isn't just the console version, I'm going to hold onto hope that it's just a game that was called "The Sims 5" and that a new iteration is still on the way. Could also be that the UE5 version is cancelled and they're switching to a different in-house engine maybe but that seems unrealistic

There were only 5 years between The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 and we're at double that between 4 and this next game. It needs an update badly and the community will only get by on Game/Stuff Packs for so much longer before the well starts to dry up (some would argue it already has).

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Considering the amount of money that'll flood in from another proper sequel to the Sims I doubt it's wholesale cancelled.

Could see it being rebooted/going in a new enough direction to drop the "5" part though. 🤷‍♀️

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Christ we really need a new Sims that takes the best of Sims 2 and Sims 3, rather than do the opposite and give us more of the Sims 4.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I recall rumours from ages ago that there were possibly two different The Sims projects in the works, so maybe "The Sims 5" is a different one to Project Rene? Guess we'll soon know either way. I figured something hasn't been right in the studio for awhile now. As much as I'm not a fan of Grant Rodiek, him leaving and going off to work on his own life simulator when he was the project lead for Rene was a major red flag that something was up.

Not sure how they'll keep The Sims 4 going when they're already struggling to make the game work under the weight of all the existing content.

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
Wasn't The Sims 4 such a mess at launch because they initially had a different concept and then they scrapped it and went back to the classic formula? I hope it doesn't happen the same this time. TS4 is my least favorite of the franchise, and a big reason why is some of the design choices they made for the base game which can't be fixed through DLC.

Boopers

Nov 1, 2020
Vermont usa
I doubt this is the case. They've been communicative about project rene throughout its development, and 4's structure is too dated to hold up for much longer.

Maybe they're just not using Unreal 5, or just want to focus on the PC/Mac version before thinking about console? I'm not sure.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Maybe Unreal Engine was cancelled for it and they moved to Frostbite or something if anything. Theres zero chance they dont have a new sims in the works still. And with multiplayer

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Sims has a weird history with console/handheld ports. I always thought the total absence of the series from Switch was very, very odd.

Oct 27, 2017
Christ we really need a new Sims that takes the best of Sims 2 and Sims 3, rather than do the opposite and give us more of the Sims 4.

They should bring back the open world at least. The loading and the small, static neighborhoods in 4 sucked. The engine in 3 wasn't the best, but I loved being able to track and check in on what all of my sims were doing in one neighborhood at the same time. I think with the advances in technology they would probably do a much better job this time.

They also should have seasons, pets and nightlife already in base game, but that will never happen with EA.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
They should bring back the open world at least. The loading and the small, static neighborhoods in 4 sucked. The engine in 3 wasn't the best, but I loved being able to track and check in on what all of my sims were doing in one neighborhood at the same time. I think with the advances in technology they would probably do a much better job this time.

They also should have seasons, pets and nightlife already in base game, but that will never happen with EA.

They should be able to afford at least the worlds the size of those in the Sims 3 loading faster and running better, but Maxis says it couldn't focus on all the features it wanted to include. They developed on a new engine for The Sims 4 (and they partially blame that for S4 launching in a diarrhea state) so I'm hoping, over the years, they have been working on a big banger of a Sims 5. They could package The Sims 4 with all the DLC, expand it to the open-world style of The Sims 3, and I'd be there day one.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Honestly, most of what I've seen of Project Rene never gave me hope. Introducing the game by showing off the online build mode across PC and mobile and not, you know, actual gameplay always soured me a little. It's a neat concept but it's not exactly what I'm excited for when thinking of a new Sims game. As for the topic, could just be the console version, could be a different project than Rene, who knows.

Agreed, although I wouldn't necessarily mind if they combined 3 and 4 and had smaller hub areas that are fully open but you have to load to different districts if it meant allowing for more detailed areas and less strain on the engine.

And to be fair they did say in the last Project Rene talk that stuff like seasons would be free for everyone, but stuff surrounding them would be paid for.

The sims is one of the reasons why everybody wants a PC lmao. The modding scene is huge. If you think UGC stuff like FiveM is huge, you don't even want to imagine the sims. When i say huge, I mean casual everyday person, hot with gen z type huge. Playing these games with a controller and a complete lack of cool modding stuff is like….. LMAO. Any EA attempt will likely be as useless as the bethesda stuff on consoles.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
My SO primarily plays TS4 and I don't get the sense that she (along with many of the people in the community) would have a problem waiting even longer for Sims 5. She was just telling me this past weekend how excited she is for the next expansion.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Unreal Engine 5 seems like an absolutely terrible fit for something like The Sims. There's a reason why nigh-all PC strategy and simulation titles have been made with in-house tech, you need tight control over performance for the low-spec PC's that much of the target audience has.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Seems quite legit, seems like many people has gone from Maxis or moved back to Sims 4 on LinkedIn.

But the idea seems quite crazy. I wonder if this is Project Rene, or an actual Sims 5, or what.

PennyPasta

Sep 3, 2020
Gamer County
Man, I hope this isn't the case. Sims 4 is just such a horrible base of a game to build upon IMO, and I've been eagerly waiting for them to move on to the next entry for a couple of years now.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hasn't really played these past 1, it is surprising to me how long it's taken for a real competitor to take a shot at The Sims. Jake Solomon's new studio is making a Sims-adjacent game and there's that Inzoi thing I've been hearing about, so if Sims 5 really was cancelled then that's probably good news for them.